"Brasil '65" was not a group...

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I still see references on the Internet to "Brasil '65" as though it is the name of a group. Yet technically, it was only the name of an album featuring Wanda Sá, The Sergio Mendes Trio and Rosinha Valenca.

1586202669420.png

The label kind of bears this out. Even though it plays as a "group" record (as the same personnel appear on most tracks), it is almost presented as some sort of compilation, given how it is spelled out on the label.

1586203115711.png

The Capitol subsidiary Tower reissued it under the Sergio Mendes Trio as In The Brazilian Bag:

1586202978334.png

The Curb CD reissue gets it wrong, along with its misleading title:

1586202840656.png

The Curb CD, that last one, is the one copy of this album that I have. When I first bought it, I thought it was a compilation since it said "BEST OF". Later on, I realized that it's the full singular album in the correct order.

I had the Tower version of this album back in the mid 70s--I remember it was a gift. Still have that copy, but would love a mint Capitol original since mine is a bit worn. Interestingly, the Tower version was released the year after Brasil '65. I'm guessing it might have been an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Brasil '66 by bringing Mendes' name to the forefront.

I did find the Curb CD at some point in the 90s at a used CD store, quite by accident. I was thumbing through and came across the name Mendes and saw this one. Looking at the track listing and mention of Wanda Sá and Rosinha Valenca, I figured it was the same recording, and it was. The only other pre-Brasil '66 album we had was Sergio Mendes' Favorite Things.

The Great Arrival made a great arrival in 1966, and Favorite Things became a favorite thing in 1968. 😁 His releases back then were sort of a jumble, as a couple of older albums were reissued and/or repackaged to coincide with the Brasil '66 phenomenon. The Swinger from Rio (1965) was originally the Bossa Nova York album on the Elenco label in Brazil, released 1964.

Cannonball Adderley's record with Sergio's group was known by many names. It was originally released on the Riverside jazz label as Cannonball's Bossa Nova in 1965. Already in 1966, under the same catalog number, Riverside renamed it Cannonball Goes Latin. 1968, Capitol got ahold of it and reissued it as Cannonball Adderley and the Bossa Rio Sextet with Sergio Mendes. Around the world, it went under many different names. Viva Cannonball! in France, 1963; Groovy Samba in Italy, 1970; Quiet Nights in Uruguay, 1971 and in the US briefly on Capitol (not to be confused with the Philips album recorded earlier in the 60s); Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars in US and Canada on the Pickwick label, 1972; and The Best of Saxophone Bossa Nova in Russia, 2004, an "unofficial" release.

I stand corrected So There was no actual Brasil 65 after all until The Atlantic Lp Live at El matador I guess that's where the confusion must has came from and thankfully I have both as well as many others on CD the Capitol Brasil 65 is a two fer mashup with a Wanda De Sah solo album I forget the title offhand as I have the CD stored away at the moment and for sentimental reasons of all the Atlantic Sergio albums "Favorite things still stands out as my favorite every song just seems to stick with me and a few really stand out. But I think they are all gems

Looking at the date, El Matador was a 1966 release. (Discogs shows 1965 on a couple of pressings, but the record jackets pictured there clearly show 1966 as the copyright date.) Since the Brasil '66 group might have been in its early stages when this was released by Atlantic (or the first B66 album might have already been released), this might have prompted the label, or even Sergio himself, to brand it as "SM & Brasil '65." Record labels were always quick to take advantage of something that was, or was about to be, a hit elsewhere.

I had the Tower version of this album back in the mid 70s--I remember it was a gift. Still have that copy, but would love a mint Capitol original since mine is a bit worn. Interestingly, the Tower version was released the year after Brasil '65. I'm guessing it might have been an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Brasil '66 by bringing Mendes' name to the forefront.

I did find the Curb CD at some point in the 90s at a used CD store, quite by accident. I was thumbing through and came across the name Mendes and saw this one. Looking at the track listing and mention of Wanda Sá and Rosinha Valenca, I figured it was the same recording, and it was. The only other pre-Brasil '66 album we had was Sergio Mendes' Favorite Things.
The "Trio" album was also once issued on the Pickwick label.That label often did reissues with a $1.98 list price.
They even once had "Crystal Illusions" on that label but no other Mendes album that I ever saw.

I have a copy of YE-ME-LE on the Pickwick label. At the time I thought it might get me fresh copies of the songs, not realizing that two were missing!

1591374887503.png

I have a copy of YE-ME-LE on the Pickwick label. At the time I thought it might get me fresh copies of the songs, not realizing that two were missing!

1591374887503.png
I remember those Dreaded Pickwick Releases however they did suffice for a time until the original versions could be found in some way I remember our Pickwick Discussions from several years back we sure had a lot of Fun with that one :laugh:

I just remembered that the Pickwick release of the above album was called "So Nice"
There was also a two record set release of "Crystal Illusions" and "Ye Me Le" called "Masquerade" and I believe it was also on Pickwick.
It was missing one song from "Ye Me Le" but I do not remember which one it was.
I remember those Dreaded Pickwick Releases however they did suffice for a time until the original versions could be found in some way I remember our Pickwick Discussions from several years back we sure had a lot of Fun with that one :laugh:

Actually, Sergio Mendes & Brasil'65 recorded a single on Atlantic in 1965 (SG5056): All my loving/ The telephone song
Members of the group were: Marcos Valle (g, vocals) and his then wife Anamaria(voc.), Tiao Neto (b), Jose Soares (perc.) and ace-drummer Joao
Palma.
Soares and Palma were a part of the first edition of Brasil'66, joined by Bob Mathews (b), Lani Hall, Bibi Vogel later replaced by Janis Hansen

That cover for Ye Me Le looks a little creepy to me.
When Crystal Illusions was first released on Pickwick, it had the original cover art.
When the two were released as Masquerade, there was no artwork from either original album.
My original copies were getting worn but I began finding them at used record stores in very good condition at very reasonable prices.
I would buy extras of each if they had them. I have several copies on lp of CI but a German pressing of Ye Me Le. That one did not show up
in used record stores as much as the other Brasil' 66 records. Stillness also was never in the used stores and I found only one copy of
Primal Roots.

And it's an incredible album (cd) that I'm now just getting into...
I saw this lp in stores way back in the early 70's. I bought a copy at a used record store in the 80's but have not had it on the turntable in quite a while.
Just recently, I saw a copy at a thrift store. I may go back and see if it is still there.

Even the BBC profile of Herb ("This Guy's In Love With You: The Herb Alpert Story") gets this wrong, apparently -- it says that when Herb first heard about Sergio Mendes, the band was called "Brasil '65."

I know Sergio's original idea for his group name was to change the name with each current year -- Brasil '66, 67, '68 and so on. But Herb Alpert talked him out of that idea, saying it would be cute but would be confusing.

I saw this lp in stores way back in the early 70's. I bought a copy at a used record store in the 80's but have not had it on the turntable in quite a while.
Just recently, I saw a copy at a thrift store. I may go back and see if it is still there.
I have the CD in mint shape and it sounds great, it's sort of a missing link album that explains a lot of origins...

For the BRASIL '65 album, I have the CD from Curb Records that was released in 1993.

For the MY FAVORITE THINGS album, I own a European CD from 1998.

It would have been nice to have had this album recorded as Brasil'66 as well and maybe held in the vault until a later time and then released as a special set. Lani and Karen would probably had a lot of fun and sound really good on all those selections.
The Brazilian songs could have been done with English lyrics as a bonus.

Last edited:
I have the CD in mint shape and it sounds great, it's sort of a missing link album that explains a lot of origins...
This is a very good lp as an instrumental vehicle for Mendes. I thought that it might have had some good sales along with Brasil'66 but I have looked to see if I could find any sort of chart action on it but I guess it was ignored by the Brasil'66 fans. One thing the lp does not list is the people that provided the voices on some of the selections. I think I heard a bit of both Lani Hall and Herb Alpert but I am not 100 percent sure.

My copy of SERGIO MENDES' FAVORITE THINGS is a CD and came in a digipak holder. The problem was that all of the teeth had broken off so the disc really wasn't held by anything. The digipak housed an 8-page booklet, so I immediately reasoned that I could put the CD and booklet into a blank jewel case. Then I had to use scissors to cut and trim the back cover to fit into the jewel case. All in all, it doesn't look too bad and is way better than the broken-toothed digipak.

1644688079841.png

Actually, Sergio Mendes & Brasil'65 recorded a single on Atlantic in 1965 (SG5056): All my loving/ The telephone song
Members of the group were: Marcos Valle (g, vocals) and his then wife Anamaria(voc.), Tiao Neto (b), Jose Soares (perc.) and ace-drummer Joao
Palma.
I meant to reply to this awhile ago, but forgot. You're right, there is this single. It took me ages to find one, but I did.

1644689876363.png
1644689888622.png

Back
Top Bottom