BRASIL 66 PERFORM DAY TRIPPER LIVE ON EARTHA KITT 1967 SPECIAL

lj

Here is terrific interpretation of Day Tripper. Eartha does all the singing until the band adds their live vocal on the final bars of music. And Sergio performs a completely different keyboard arrangement than what is heard on their first album. Sounds pretty nifty to me. Then the Eartha and percussionist Jose Soares dance up a storm together. The band seems to be truly enjoying themselves being with this show biz legend. All in all, this is a rare "live" performance from Brasil 66 and a real time capsule in living color. For me, discovering this YouTube video made me feel real good inside--which I will watch again and again in the future.

When I said this was a "live" performance, it's because the music is not the playback of Day Tripper as heard on the Herb Alpert Presents album. Even the drumming sounds slightly different as opposed to the album version. Upon follow up viewings, Brasil 66 does join Eartha in singing the chorus--She was a day tripper etc.-- but their vocals were different from the studio recording. It was just delightful to watch.

Wow! I didn't know Eartha had her own TV special! She looks so fine here! Man she was a beauty! Now for the performance...it seems to me that Sergio and co, were singing backgrounds to their own arrangement of their remake of this Beatles classic. Only natural considering that they were the guest stars on Miss Kitt's special and she may have wanted to sing the lead to show she can sing(her dancing skills ain't bad either!) Lani must have felt a little weird singing background on which was originally her lead.

Amyway, it was cute, and all I can say is that it looks very "sixties-ish!"

Right you are Jazzdre--Eartha Kitt was a true beauty. Sergio's piano playing had the sound of Ramsey Lewis written all over it. In 1966 when Brasil 66 had released its first album, Ramsey Lewis had huge popular hits with "The In Crowd" and "Hang on Sloopy". Both Sergio on "Day Tripper" and Ramsey on the aforementioned songs had a similar piano sound with catchy background hand-clapping. Here were two pianists who started off in jazz and later crossed over into pop in 1966, and it worked. And Bob Matthews was terrific with his exciting background call outs of "come on come on" etc. Over the years I had mistakenly thought it was Jose Soares hollering out encouragement to the band. This live performance gives me a taste of how exciting Brasil 66 must have been in concert shows in 1966-67.

Here's a thought. What if Eartha had worked with Brasil 66 for a spell? Her glamour and dancing ability would certainly have added an extra dimension to the group. And she could carry a tune. I could imagine Eartha and Jose Soares dancing up a storm during a show for several numbers a la "Day Tripper." And that would have brought the house down.

Back
Top Bottom