Brasil‘66 and ’88 Television and Live performance 1970- 1980

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Mendes fans!
About live recordings, and television. 1970 and 1980.

In the year 1970 there was a one hour television/movie special broadcast on Dutch National Television directed by German Television maker Michael Phlegar (the husband of Caterine Valente) about Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’66 filmed in Rio the Janeiro on the Ipanema Beach with visits to the great Antonio Carlos Jobim, Gracinha Leporace, a studio recording session by Jorge Ben and so on.
I wonder will that ever be appear on video or DVD. The only thing I know is that the German Television maker Michael Phlegar worked a lot for WDR a German Televison Broadcast company.
By the way Dave Grusin was orchestra leader during two years for Caterina Valente at the beginning of the ’70 and lived for 2 years in Amsterdam.

At 30th of october 1980 Sergio Mendes and Brasil ’88 performed live at the Marriot Hotel in Amsterdam after a tour in the UK with Frank Sinatra. I attended that performance as well
as the performance a week before at the Palace of Beaux Arts in Brussels.
The Marriot performance was taped and broadcast in December 1980 by the Dutch National radio.
Songs performed are: Magic Lady, Girl from Ipanema/Waters of March, I Believe, by Stevie Wonder, Like a lover (Dori Caymmi, Fato Consumado (Djavan), Fool on the Hill, a 20 minute instrumental Afro-Brazilian percussion suite with wonderful guitar performance and an interlude for the instrumental Misturada, contuining with the Look of Love and ending as always by Oye como va (Tito Puente)

Line-up: Electric Guitars Danny Embrey, Acoustic and Electric Guitars: Oscar Castro Neves, Bass: Warren Giancatarina, Drums: Alan Diaz, Percussion: Ron Powell (now with Kenny G.)
Vocals: Marrietta Waters( wife of Alan Diaz), Carol Jeanne Rogers and Gracinha Leporace.

Regards, Aqua do Brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom