Brubeck/Light in the Wilderness

Status
Not open for further replies.

jww

Has anyone heard this lp? I saw a spotlight about Dave Brubeck on BET Jazz program called Not Just Jazz. Program must have been filmed originally in late 60s, as it also featured a spot on Charles Lloyd. The lp is supposed to be a religious orataro (sp?), and the program showed the recording/writing of the work. Lp released 1968, I think.

Can anyone shed any light on it? Not available on cd, but Musicstack has it listed for $12.00, but.... :confused:
It looked interesting on the program, but repeated plays... :confused: Thanks, JW

Here's what AMG reviewer Richard S. Ginell says:

Dave Brubeck broke up his famous quartet in 1967 in order to start fulfilling his ambitions as a composer of religious concert works, and this fascinating, highly eclectic oratorio was the first result. Sprawling over two LPs, it remains Brubeck's longest work to date, and it lays down a general blueprint for much of what was to follow -- uninhibited thrusts into idioms that Brubeck had never explored in a jazz combo format, some interludes for his jazz trio, distinctively Brubeckian polytonal writing, and tricky meters and rhythms for the chorus and orchestra to follow. At one point, Brubeck's piano goes into an Indian raga, with tablas instead of a drum kit for backing (this was, after all, conceived in the flower-power era). At other times, he can be heard in strong, affirmative form with the trio in segments that dovetail neatly in and out of the classical writing. In one memorable stretch in Part I, the jazz rhythm section and classical forces meet, and the fusion is amazingly tight and right. No doubt it helped to have an open-minded conductor like the young Erich Kunzel (of later "pops" concert fame) who could get the elephantine Cincinnati Symphony to swing and wail like a big band when needed. Above all, there is a guileless sincerity about this piece that communicates even if you don't share Brubeck's religious convictions. The set is currently available on CD by mail order on a Musical Heritage Society reissue.

Take that as you will. Although Ginell writes for the All-Music Guide, he's a great guy, and he's one of the few critics who knows his stuff. I have a lot of respect for his opinions and I find that he's usually right on the mark.:cool:

- William

About ten years ago my sisters and I had a jazz group and we were going to be performing at a festival in Scottsdale, AZ. I was looking for the band dressing room and asked a hotel bell man were it was. He didn't know but this casual dressed "old" guy said he knew where it was and to follow him. As I was walking with him I did a double take and it was Dave Brubeck. He performed after us. He was a very kind and fatherly person. Later amigos...Jay

Just goes to show you that the majority of well-known musicians are just "real people" like you and me! :D

-= N =-

I'm lucky to have seen 3 Brubeck concerts within the last 6 years. Each performance at nearby venues have been sellouts, plus he's consistently kind to autograph seekers as well.
JB
NP: Tim Wheater HEARTLAND (Almo 80003)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom