Bruce Forsyth Show and Karen

^^It's stamped A Happy Christmas, something she also uses in the song from the show.
Very cool find thanks for sharing.

Not related but here is another postcard from Karen to her parents from 74.
Look at how she writes Mr. it's the same on both cards but the N in Newville she writes differently.
1ol1Fr6.jpg
Looks like she decided to print "Newville" as opposed to use cursive like in the other postcard. It is interesting "Newville" is the only word that isn't in cursive.

Sorry, but they weren’t using chroma key or blue screen there. That “Grey” looks more like shadows.

Also in the 70’s, even in films, chroma key was not that smooth in either NTSC or PAL/SECAM. Remember composite is a very messy standard in both standards. What your suggesting, if it was now with analog component video, yeah it’s possible, but 70’s composite—-even on film in the 70’s they couldn’t get clean of any image. It’s too crisp, too sharp for 70’s chroma key.

From the same show (but a year prior to the ABBA episode), a sketch where all the characters are played by Mike Yarwood (starting at 2:55 and ending at 7:55 with a shot of all characters sharing the same screen).

Last episode of ''El Chapulin Colorado'', an action/adventure live-action show that relied on blue screen for some of his special abilities usually becoming tiny.
Check the sequence from 2:31 to 5:02. The movement and look n some shots is a bit clunky, but it is really well fine-tuned for 1979. Also 8:09-8:50, 12:24-12:54, 13:07-13:29.

Well could be front projection like some shots for Superman The Movie (1978) (I'll look for a clip in a moment)

From the same show (but a year prior to the ABBA episode), a sketch where all the characters are played by Mike Yarwood (starting at 2:55 and ending at 7:55 with a shot of all characters sharing the same screen).

That’s just a split screen. You have the camera locked off on the set and have the actor perform all the characters. That’s no chroma key.
Last episode of ''El Chapulin Colorado'', an action/adventure live-action show that relied on blue screen for some of his special abilities usually becoming tiny.
Check the sequence from 2:31 to 5:02. The movement and look n some shots is a bit clunky, but it is really well fine-tuned for 1979. Also 8:09-8:50, 12:24-12:54, 13:07-13:29.
That looks like it was done on film and then transferred to tape. And it looks like it was chroma keyed. But it was nowhere near as clean as that ABBA video that was shot in multiple takes with lights.
Well could be front projection like some shots for Superman The Movie (1978) (I'll look for a clip in a moment)

I’ve seen the front projection and green screen in Superman before. With 70’s technology they were not able to do it as cleanly as they could do it now—-plus using an analog optical printer they are going at least a generation away from both originals which introduces noise.

Last edited:
That’s just a split screen. You have the camera locked off on the set and have the actor perform all the characters. That’s no chroma key.

That looks like it was done on film and then transferred to tape. And it looks like it was chroma keyed. But it was nowhere near as clean as that ABBA video that was shot in multiple takes with lights.

I’ve seen the front projection and green screen in Superman before. With 70’s technology they were not able to do it as cleanly as they could do it now—-plus using an analog optical printer they are going at least a generation away from both originals which introduces noise.
I have my doubts if it's split screen in all shots because some of the characters get too close to each other (the ones far left) and the lighting between some of them it's different (like the one to the far right).

The Chapulin show was filmed using videotape not film (just like El Chavo Del Ocho) and it is chroma keyed. Not all the shots are clean yeah, but there are few that have very little artifacts/issues visible.

All the info I find about Mike Yarwood Show and the ABBA appearance, it's that it is a chroma key effect. And maybe it's just a color swap which for what I've seen. doesn't cause as much artifacts as a color removal.

I have my doubts if it's split screen in all shots because some of the characters get too close to each other (the ones far left) and the lighting between some of them it's different (like the one to the far right).

The Chapulin show was filmed using videotape not film (just like El Chavo Del Ocho) and it is chroma keyed. Not all the shots are clean yeah, but there are few that have very little artifacts/issues visible.

All the info I find about Mike Yarwood Show and the ABBA appearance, it's that it is a chroma key effect. And maybe it's just a color swap which for what I've seen. doesn't cause as much artifacts as a color removal.
I’m reminded of the ST: TNG episode, “Future Imperfect”, everyone always commented on how every actor seemed to have different lighting when the “Enterprise holodeck” was turned off, even though they apparently had them all on set for the shot up to when each character disappears, and it stayed when the show was re-edited in HD. Even though you aim to have the lighting the same in split screen, sometimes you find that you need more light or less light, or on the camera’s end you turn up or down the brightness because someone’s too hot or too dark.

Also, a color swap is still chroma key/green screen/blue screen.

If the Chaupulin show shot it’s SFX on NTSC videotape, they must’ve been using
time travel to do digitally, as there is zero way for 1970’s analog NTSC composite video tape to do chroma key as clean as it is on that clip (also, in the 70’s the video camera’s were using picture tubes—-vacuum tube technology—-for its color processing—-the CCD chip wouldn’t be introduced until 1985 that offered even better quality video, closer to what film camera’s could offer, that also allowed for cleaner chroma keying). They most likely shot the SFX on 16mm film at 30fps, did the chroma key on film and then transferred them to videotape and edited the footage in, which would give it the look that it has.

Also, it wouldn’t be the first time that film was incorporated into a video. Just look at the 1974 Perry Como Christmas show. The animated penguins were done on film and then inserted into the shot (most likely the skating sequence was transferred to film from the original 2-inch quad NTSC composite tape, where the two sections were combined and then put back to tape—-at the beginning you can also see some frame rate issues).

Last edited:
Who was playing the electric piano in this broadcast? I don’t recognize him as a regular member of the band.

Who was playing the electric piano in this broadcast? I don’t recognize him as a regular member of the band.
I realize this question was asked a few years ago but the piano player for Karen's solo appearance on Bruce Forsythe's Big Night was Jeff Wesley. Peter Knight brought him in. My apologies if it's already been answered somewhere else.

-"With pocketsful of good intentions..."

Last edited:
I realize this question was asked a few years ago but the piano player for Karen's solo appearance on Bruce Forsythe's Big Night was Jeff Wesley. Peter Knight brought him in. My apologies if it's already been answered somewhere else.

-"With pocketsful of good intentions..."
If you were not looking closely you would think it was Richard, he looks similar to him.

I probably posted this already but I took her live vocal of MCD and edited out Brucie at the end and flew in the studio ending and blended it In Audacity and it works quite well.

If you were not looking closely you would think it was Richard, he looks similar to him.

I probably posted this already but I took her live vocal of MCD and edited out Brucie at the end and flew in the studio ending and blended it In Audacity and it works quite well.
I'm sure many of us would love to hear it! I know I would.

Back
Top Bottom