🎄 Holidays! Bruce Forsyth's Big Night w/Karen Carpenter, Part 2 (1978)

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
With the pre-release of this classic Christmas song taken from the most recent rendition from the Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album, it's created quite a buzz! Here, Karen sings Merry Christmas, Darling in one of her finest live vocal performances in part 2 of Bruce Forsyth's Big Night from December of 1978! Enjoy :)

With the pre-release of this classic Christmas song taken from the most recent rendition from the Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album, it's created quite a buzz! Here, Karen sings Merry Christmas, Darling in one of her finest live vocal performances in part 2 of Bruce Forsyth's Big Night from December of 1978! Enjoy :)

my favorite rendition !! i don't even miss the harmonies.

This version of MCD just KILLS me!

Happy Christmas, Brucie!!! The best end to one of the best Christmas songs. She's a class act around. :D Thank you so much, Chris May! :santawave:

These performances are really one-of-a-kind. First it Karen, in a sense, a solo Karen with the guys in the Carpenters band. Maybe this gave her a push in the direction and the confidence to do the solo album the following year. Surely she knew by this time Richard wasn't up to making any new music.

I love this video. As fragile as Karen looked, she still knocked the vocals out of the park! Even if she was singing gentler, she never sounded better. The ending is wonderful and a tribute to Bruce, whom she seemed to have some fun with.......at least most of the time! Thanks again @Chris May, for sharing these with us!!!

Absolutely amazing! This is the best sound, best video I have ever experienced of this. Mahalo!!!

This performance has to be the best Karen ever did. She looks so beautiful, her hair and clothes are stylish, her voice is just incredible, she engages visually with those amazing eyes by alternating between the camera and the studio audience, a real professional delivery with impeccable timing..... 10/10 Miss Carpenter!

Superb performance. Some have said Karen is too thin here, but she looks beautiful and nothing like she did in late '81. While the Cs were 'studio animals' they sure knew how to play to an audience. This clip should be shown to singing students; just amazing.

This video proves why Karen is the best. Just a stunning performance and she really taps into the meaning of the song here. It's as if she believes each word as she sings it. The warmth of her voice without all of the lush overdubbing is a nice treat.

Thanks so much!

I’m sure someone out there has already pointed this out, but it just occurred to me that the percussion has totally been changed for this live recording. Gone is the quick succession of cymbal beats, replaced by a slow cymbal rhythm.

Just beautiful....if she were alive today and I could meet her in concert backstage...I would tell her this concert venue is my favorite performance of her entire career. I am so lucky to have her voice to comfort me through out the year and then at Christmas time she is not far away.

Such a beautiful performance ! And I just love the banter, jokes back and forth between Karen & Bruce, he was proper old school British comedy, she got on so well with him... They should have given them a show together "The Karen & Bruce Show"

Ditto to all comments and compliments here re: this performance by Karen. She just nails this is every way.

This is a big one for me. Amazing rendition of my absolute favorite Christmas song of all time. Such charming stage personality and presence as well. If I didn't know any better, it would look like she didn't have a care in the world. Outside of this clip, when they do the bit about the sound engineering, Bruce is a really good sport and plays along with her when she messes up the unfamiliar British slang, calling it gar-BAGE instead of rubbish. He was such a terrific TV host and no doubt contributed quite a bit to the positive vibe on the show despite what was going on with K&R behind the scenes.

Bruce is a really good sport and plays along with her when she messes up the unfamiliar British slang, calling it gar-BAGE instead of rubbish. He was such a terrific TV host and no doubt contributed quite a bit to the positive vibe on the show despite what was going on with K&R behind the scenes.

Bruce Forsyth was a one off - TV presenter, compere, singer, dancer, musician and all round entertainer who made it all look so easy and had a natural ability to put his guests at ease. The consummate professional. It looked like Karen had a ball with him.

This is a big one for me. Amazing rendition of my absolute favorite Christmas song of all time. Such charming stage personality and presence as well. If I didn't know any better, it would look like she didn't have a care in the world. Outside of this clip, when they do the bit about the sound engineering, Bruce is a really good sport and plays along with her when she messes up the unfamiliar British slang, calling it gar-BAGE instead of rubbish. He was such a terrific TV host and no doubt contributed quite a bit to the positive vibe on the show despite what was going on with K&R behind the scenes.

And parts 3 & 4 are really a treat! Next installment to go "live" Thanksgiving Day.

Bruce Forsyth was a one off - TV presenter, compere, singer, dancer, musician and all round entertainer who made it all look so easy and had a natural ability to put his guests at ease. The consummate professional. It looked like Karen had a ball with him.

I can totally see that from just this little clip alone.

A re-upload of parts 2&3 would be very much appreciated. 1&4 are amazing quality! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom