Burning CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Vakil

Does it follow that the lower quality you burn a CD, the more you can get on it?

I've tried to do this but, whatever setting I use, the tracks seem to take up the same space?

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?

Thanks - any help gratefully received

Stephen

You can only record "redbook" CDs at 44.1kHz/16 bits, so there is no way to get more onto a disc and have it play in a CD player.

Some recent CD players can also play MP3 discs, where you can copy your CDs to the computer, convert them to MP3 files, and get a lot more on a disc. Quality varies with MP3 files--I only tend to convert at a 192kbps rate or higher (usually 256 or 320kbps).

Is there a free player that will show you the variable bit rate your mp3 is playing. I downloaded the free winamp (the lite version) although it does show you what bit rate your mp3 is encoded at, the player is sooo small I can hardly see it and it is a pretty ugly looking player.

I've been playing around with making mp3's (from my cd collection) using the VBR option for mp3's which will give you a changing bit rate between 128 to sometimes over 300 kbps in certain parts of the song.

Also what is your opinion of using VBR option verses just encoding your mp3's at standard 128,192 or 256.

Also what software do you use to encode your mp3's? I'm using dell musicmatch but that came with my system years & years ago. I wanted to find a new software to use, I tried the free Lame Encoder but it wont work with my Windows XP.

I've used Winamp for ages, but I don't look at the bit rate display much, as I run it as a small toolbar at the top of my left monitor.

I tend to not use VBR, only because I'm not sure if the players I use can support it. I just play it safe and use a high bitrate.

The LAME encoder needs to be used with another piece of software to work--in its most basic form it is just a set of encoder drivers for the computer. I think when I use SoundForge, it gives me a choice of which installed encoders I want to use. (Although I don't have LAME installed.)

Rudy

I've tried to copy MP3 music to a CD but whatever happens, I can still only copy the same number of tracks as if I was copying at a much higher level.

If I'm copying MP3, shouldnt I be able to get almost all the Shout issues onto one CD?

There must be a simple explanation but I haven't got it!

Thanks

Stephen

If you are burning an MP3 data CD, then yes they should all fit. But if you are burning a CD that plays in standard CD players, the software is converting them to CD-format digital and you're only to get about 80 minutes on a CD that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom