🎵 AotW Burt Bacharach: Burt Bacharach (A&M Records SP-3501)

1701389483663.pngBurt Bacharach: Burt Bacharach

A&M Records SP-3501
Released 1971

A1: Mexican Divorce 3:07​
A2: (They Long To Be) Close To You 3:14​
A3: Nikki 2:25​
A4: Wives & Lovers 6:02​
A5: All Kinds Of People 3:05​
B1: "And The People Were With Her" (Suite For Orchestra) 5:59​
B2: April Fools 3:39​
B3: Hasbrook Heights 3:10​
B4: Freefall 3:04​
B5: One Less Bell To Answer 3:08​

Arranged By, Conductor – Burt Bacharach
Art Direction – Ron Wolin
Engineer – Phil Ramone
Engineer [Assistant] – David Scott (6)
Mastered By – Bernie Grundman
Photography By [Front Cover] – Jim McCrary
Photography By [Inside Spread] – Ellen Blume Graham, Jim McCrary
Piano – Mr. Bacharach*
Producer – Burt Bacharach, Phil Ramone
Sleeve Notes – Albert Goldman
Vocals – Cissy Houston (tracks: A5, B5)

Recorded at A&R Studios, New York City

SP-3413 is apparently the end of the 3400 series. The 3500 series begins with SP-3501.

I actually always thought the song begged a reply song (which were not unexpected in the late '50s--mid '60s) given the supposition is equally applicable to both sexes.

They should have just written a reply VERSE and had the song be a duet.

From Wikipedia, so grain of salt, etc.

The song originated when Bacharach and David were asked to write a song with the title "Wives and Lovers", on the theme of marital infidelity, as a promotional tie-in for the 1963 film Wives and Lovers. The song did not appear in the film but was intended simply to promote the film, making it what was known at the time as an "exploitation song".

So---mission accomplished, a hit for Jack Jones, one hell of an instrumental for Burt eight years later, and a couple of years after that a terrific line in an Albert Brooks skit about the need to re-write the National Anthem (it's cued to go right to said line):

Interesting that the song never appeared in the movie. I guess it follows the Butch Cassidy model -- probably 60% of the music on that soundtrack album was not in the movie.

Interesting that the song never appeared in the movie. I guess it follows the Butch Cassidy model -- probably 60% of the music on that soundtrack album was not in the movie.
A lot of songs were "exploitation songs" back then, even another Bacharch song, "The Man who Shot Liberty Valence."

Looking through my CDs this morning, I ran across a cheapy Polygram compilation from the mid 90s where the cover could be the visual representation of the song "Wives And Lovers". It's calle BACHELOR PAD PLEASURES in the "Mondo Lounge" series.

Bachelor1 (1).jpg

Looking through my CDs this morning, I ran across a cheapy Polygram compilation from the mid 90s where the cover could be the visual representation of the song "Wives And Lovers". It's calle BACHELOR PAD PLEASURES in the "Mondo Lounge" series.

Bachelor1 (1).jpg
I've seen tons of these kinds of covers for various compilations ( mostly on vinyl over the years) At the time these Lounge CD comps were coming out in the mid 90s the radio station I work at was getting dozens of these Cds and I was riding the wave of the then popular Lounge revival by playing them ( along with supplemental material from my personal collection albeit very carefully) for a brief time it was hip for us Gen X ers to get into instrumentals especially from the 50s thru the 70s

That was Universal ca$hing in on a trend at the time. Their compilations paled in comparison to what Capitol was doing at the time with the Ultra Lounge series. I looked at a few of those Mondo Lounge titles and they were...not very good (and I'm being as kind/polite as possible). Very few of the tracks they provided were of the same aesthetic as the Ultra Lounge selections. Basically Capitol had a lock on the artists that produced what came to be known as "lounge" decades later; grabbing random instrumental A&M tracks was irrelevant, in other words. Including Bacharach just shows how highly flawed those compilations are--his recordings appeared long after the 50s and 60s recordings that exemplified "lounge."

Basically I won't even take one of these for free. My recycle bin is full enough.

I bought that back in the 90s and getting a Baja Marimba Band track on CD made it worthwhile. Today, it's just an artifact from the past, but I thought the picture just screamed the attitude prevalent in "Wives and Lovers."

I bought that back in the 90s and getting a Baja Marimba Band track on CD made it worthwhile. Today, it's just an artifact from the past, but I thought the picture just screamed the attitude prevalent in "Wives and Lovers."
I understand your context I do agree and it just reminded me the old days

Back in the mid 90s, we'd do anything we could to snag a digital version of a TjB or BMB tune we didn't have. Until DIGITALLY REMASTERED BEST in 1998 from Japan, this was the only place to get BMB's "Georgy Girl" in digital form.

I loved that brief "Mondo Lounge" Series... I'd hoped there would be more but I think there were only three...

--Mr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom