Buyer Beware: Omega Bootleg TJB CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, NOW i'VE sEEN eVERYTHING!!! :freak:

The guy has a couple copies of 'a group called Smith's' A Group Called Smith on CD, too...!! :shock:

The least he could'a done was combine it as a 'Two-Fer' with their debut album, Smith...!!! :wtf:

Dave

Often it's hard to tell a bootleg CD until you've bought it, unwrapped it, turned it over and observed a blue-green underside rather than the usual silver one. Sometimes a close look at the packaging will reveal smudgy artwork and/or messing lettering.

Owning all the Herb "product" on vinyl already, I'm not tempted by these bootlegs. However ... if I saw a J. &. K. STONEBONE "reissue" online this might put my resolve to the test.

JB

LPJim said:
Often it's hard to tell a bootleg CD until you've bought it, unwrapped it, turned it over and observed a blue-green underside rather than the usual silver one. Sometimes a close look at the packaging will reveal smudgy artwork and/or messing lettering.

It's even harder now, since some CD-Rs have a silver underside. And for that matter, true pirated products are often pressed in a small CD plant, so they are actual "manufactured" CDs.

I only bought one pirated product unknowingly. I don't know if it was a DVD-R or not, but I could tell from the printing on the DVD case insert, and on the disc, that it was not genuine Disney product. Sad thing is, it plays back just fine.

Just send Disney a couple of bucks every time you play it, and you'll have a clear conscience! :D They could use the money, having just spent $7 billion for Pixar Animation.

I wonder what's the point of making CD-Rs with silver backsides. I would think the copyright-holding record companies would insist on a bright color so they'd be easily distinguishable from the genuine article.

Mike Blakesley said:
Just send Disney a couple of bucks every time you play it, and you'll have a clear conscience! :D They could use the money, having just spent $7 billion for Pixar Animation.

I wonder what's the point of making CD-Rs with silver backsides. I would think the copyright-holding record companies would insist on a bright color so they'd be easily distinguishable from the genuine article.

Heck, if CD-Rs are manufactured over in a third world country, they don't have any requirement to follow any US guidelines. Plus, it could be a data CD-R they're using for these pirated recordings.

I have a stack of CDs in a variety of colors--my favorites are the black ones. You can't even see the shiny surface beneath! I know, I amuse easily...but putting my needle drops on black CD-Rs just seems appropriate somehow. :D

Current tactic by the Omega Records dude on a recent eBay ad for Rise.

RISE by Herb Alpert (Import - Reissue - OMEGA Records - Brazil)

This CD is Brand Spanking New and Looking For A Good Home!

Tracks

1.) 1980 2.) RISE 3.) BEHIND THE RAIN 4.) ROTATION 5.) STREET LIFE 6.) LOVE IS

7.) ANGELINA 8.) ARANJUEZ

This CD is legally manufactured and sold by OMEGA RECORDS through agreement with A&M RECORDS. It is NOT a CDR. It has been selling on an Ebay affiliate for a few years now. Anyone who writes diferent is either uninformed or has their own agenda for lying. OMEGA has the rights for many of Herb Alperts old albums.

This CD is one of the best of his career.

Is our warning working? This particular CD went unsold.

Harry

...This CD is legally manufactured and sold by OMEGA RECORDS through an agreement with A&M RECORDS.... ...It is NOT a CD-R... ...It has been selling on an eBay affiliate for a few years now... ...Anyone who writes diferent is either uninformed or has their own agenda for lying... ...OMEGA has the rights for many of Herb Alpert's old albums...

-- :?:

If the above statement really is true, then why doesn't Omega reissue the REST of Herb's catalog, including what IS already out...??!! :freak:

Dave

Harry said:
Is our warning working? This particular CD went unsold.

Who knows if the average eBay buyer has even heard about our sites? It's no big deal at any rate--the complaints about buyers receiving CD-Rs in this person's feedback is enough to prove our point anyway, and hopefully enough buyers are seeing that feedback and holding off on purchasing these.

Oh, and yes, we do have an agenda: to not see buyers ripped off by what are obviously pirated versions of Herb's albums. His own additional wording just seems like a desperate attempt to save face when the facts are readily available anywhere on the 'net.

It just makes me wonder about the buyer, too. My first clue would have been availability elsewhere. If you don't see titles listed at Amazon, GEMM or anywhere else, you have to wonder. A lot of eBay activity is impulse buying, and there's one born every minute, as the old saying goes...

The "buyer" knew these were probably Too Good To Be True...

Otherwise the Potential "Impulse Shopping" takes place where the buyer can actually SEE THESE... --At Trade Shows & In Stores!! :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

eBayer said:
Anyone who writes diferent is either uninformed or has their own agenda for lying.

This statement pretty much speaks for itself. If you aren't doing anything wrong, there's no need to call attention to those that say you are.

Ed

Maybe Capt. Bacardi could send an email to Randy Alpert about this guy. I'm sure Herb has a high-powered lawyer just looking for stuff like this.

Mike Blakesley said:
Maybe Capt. Bacardi could send an email to Randy Alpert about this guy. I'm sure Herb has a high-powered lawyer just looking for stuff like this.

That would work. Herb's representative would have to send a filled-out form to the appropriate eBay department, which would then give his office sort of a "hot line" to contact eBay for swift handling of any copyright infringements that appear there. IOW, once you are on file as a registered copyright holder, it just takes one call to eBay to get the items pulled.

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
This statement pretty much speaks for itself. If you aren't doing anything wrong, there's no need to call attention to those that say you are.

Exactly!

Harry said:
It's just inconceivable to me that any official releases could have happened without someone around here finding out about it in advance.

Agreed. If this were the case, we'd have heard something from Steve by now, wouldn't you think? Besides, when I asked Lani about "Just You & Me" at the Hollywood Bowl, her response was, "We're working on 'em...patience, honey! Patience!!" (...then she flashed that smile, I melted, and well...) :)

Jon

Cool! At least she didn't roll her eyes and say, "Why in the world would anyone want to hear that thing again?!" which would have been a bad sign. :wink:

rodb said:
Well, The Brass Are Comin' from "Omega Records" has showed up on eBay. This one has a picture and The A&M logo is on it.

Either this guy's a lousy photographer or his scanner is out of focus...even the picture looks bogus! :laugh:

Jon

Mike Blakesley said:
Cool! At least she didn't roll her eyes and say, "Why in the world would anyone want to hear that thing again?!" which would have been a bad sign. :wink:

Not at all. She was too blown away at discovering that I was the "teenager" (well, I was a teenager at the time) who ran across her in Beverly Center Mall when she was picking up the outfit she wore on the Academy Awards broadcast (she had the dress bag over her arm).

I was on the "up" escalator; she was going down. I looked right at her, but it didn't register. It was the person with me who poked me on the shoulder and said, "Wasn't that Lani?" I turned around, realized that it was and screamed, "Miss Hall!! Miss Hall!!!!" With that, I took off running back down the escalator as she stood at the bottom, smiling from ear to ear. She was so gracious.

She didn't have a pen or anything to write with, so she told me to contact Diane Baron at the A&M Artist Relations department and she'd "send me something."

Sure enough, a week later I received a thick envelope from A&M Records. Inside was: an autographed photo of Lani (with a note from Diane to the effect of: "Don't miss Herb and Lani on the Academy Awards," etc.), as well as an autographed photo of Sergio surrounded by his then-current touring singers -- Lise Miller, Marietta Waters and Carol Rogers.

Skip forward (several, several years!) to Sergio's Hollywood Bowl event last Summer. When I approached her backstage, I began to tell her how I'd first met her. Before I could finish the story she beamed that smile and exclaimed, "Escalator Boy? Oh my God!! I remember that!! That was you?" Herb said, "What this?" and she relayed the story to him: "Yeah! This kid ran backwards down the escalator to meet me...it was so cute!!" Herb just laughed and shook my hand. Such nice people, both.

Jon

Brasil_Nut said:
Herb said, "What this?" and she relayed the story to him: "Yeah! This kid ran backwards down the escalator to meet me...it was so cute!!" Herb just laughed and shook my hand.

The restraining order was issued soon after... :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

Jon, I notice now you have put "AKA Escalator Boy" at the end of a post or two. Let's see how long you can do that before somebody asks you what it means. I'm thinking it'll happen tomorrow or the next day, at the latest. :D

We should all come up with humorous alternative explanations to chime in with before Jon comes in with the true story. (Hey, April 1st IS coming, right?) :wink:

Well, we could say that Jon trained to be a flight attendant by being an "ecalator attendant" in the airport!

Harry

Harry said:
Well, we could say that Jon trained to be a flight attendant by being an "ecalator attendant" in the airport!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Would you care for a cup of coffee on your way up, madam?"

Escalator Attendant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom