Buyer Beware: Omega Bootleg TJB CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
alpertfan said:
If you go to CD Baby, you will see a disc with the title EDDIE KENDRICK, DAVID RUFFIN, DENNIS EDWARDS-LIVE IN LAS VEGAS! Next to "Format" is "CD-R". This is supposedly from a live performance at the Sands in Vegas in March of 1991.

This is most likely legit--some artists with a small budget will sometimes release music on CD-R since they can't afford a production run. CD Baby isn't a normal retailer--you really have to be "legit" before they will accept product. I've sent a couple of clients there in the past when they needed distribution for their CDs, and CD Baby was perfect for their needs.

My buddy went to the Hall & Oates concert this past Saturday, and immediately after the show, they were selling a 2-CD set of that concert for $20. CD-R, of course. They had to wait 20 minutes for the second disc to be done, but it was neat to be able to get that so soon after. I have a 2-CD set from the Peter Gabriel concert in 2003, but since it was manufactured, it took about 4-6 weeks before it shipped.

My buddy went to the Hall & Oates concert this past Saturday, and immediately after the show, they were selling a 2-CD set of that concert for $20. CD-R, of course.
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. We went to 2 concerts this fall - Elton John and James Taylor - and would have loved to take home souvenir CDs of both of them. Seems like it would be a huge cash cow for the artist...maybe better than the $30 t-shirts?

Heh, no kidding. I'm afraid to wear the few t-shirts I own, since they cost so much. :D The tee I got from the Peter Gabriel concert is one of the neatest ones I own (it is black, and has the "UP" graphics on the sleeves), but I hate to think of what I paid for it back then.

I don't listen to the concert CDs all that often, but it did bring back some memories. The sound on half of the stage went out during the beginning of "Solisbury Hill", so while the stage techs worked on it, Peter played a solo version of "Here Comes The Flood". And the lengthy instrumental stretch toward the end of "Solisbury Hill" makes no sense at all unless you were at the concert. I had an aisle seat. So it was a bit of a surprise when the whole band (except for drums) with portable instruments (guitars and keyboards on wireless) jumped into the audience and made a trip up an down the aisles. Nothing like high-fiving Peter Gabriel! :D

When I went to see the Alman Brothers in 2004 they announced "instant gratification" would be available in the lobby post-show.
They were recording the concert and mass producing CDRs to sell for $25. It was a long show -- lots of jamming as you'd expect -- and it took all of two CDs and part of a 3rd to create the package.
Some friends and I pooled our cash to buy the original, which we copied for everybody.

The few concert shirts I've bought get worn frequently, but they've lasted for years for only one reason: I hand wash them and let them dry in the clothes line; NEVER in the dryer.

JB

Mike Blakesley said:
My buddy went to the Hall & Oates concert this past Saturday, and immediately after the show, they were selling a 2-CD set of that concert for $20. CD-R, of course.
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I had a discussion about this with Randy Alpert a couple of years ago, and he said that this was beginning to happen more. It's relatively cheap to do, and the artists actually make a few bucks on these, plus it cuts down on the crappy bootleg concert recordings that are out there. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

Capt. Bacardi

Since my "mock Omega logo" avatar didn't go down too well, let's see if my "shady Omega salesman" does any better.

(Shameless, isn't it? Poking fun at the whole situation... :D)

hi guys I was just on ebay under herb alpert and that one person I think he is at it again. to me it sounds like he is, but I could be wrong, so if you guys would check it out. the person has the you smile, the songs begins on audio cd. says it is still sealed from brazil. so I do not know if the is a fake copy or real. the picture show the front cover and the back it is one for 21 hours
thanks
bob

Captain Bacardi said:
Mike Blakesley said:
I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
I had a discussion about this with Randy Alpert a couple of years ago, and he said that this was beginning to happen more. It's relatively cheap to do, and the artists actually make a few bucks on these, plus it cuts down on the crappy bootleg concert recordings that are out there. It's a win-win situation for everyone.
Capt. Bacardi

I'd like to see made-to-order "retro-style" T-shirts made. There's a guy in my home town who does custom shirts, but he requires a mass quantity order. I don't know too many people in po-dunk Palatka, Florida who would want a black T-shirt with red jagged lettering of Rise printed on it, or for that matter, anyone 'round here who would even know what it was!

As for myself, I could think of one person who would wear it...

Tony

Andrew T. said:
Since my "mock Omega logo" avatar didn't go down too well, let's see if my "shady Omega salesman" does any better.

(Shameless, isn't it? Poking fun at the whole situation... :D)

I'm surprised the "Omega" slime didn't come up with a better Greek-alphabet name for his record company. You know, like Alpha & Mu Records...

Harry
...it's all Greek to me, online...

Well, whenever Omega wants to put a counterfeit one out on the market, then...--

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom