"B'wana She No Home" which CD??

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
So which CD has the real stereo version of "B'wana She No Home" sounds best?? Does the brand new Japanese reissue of "Passage" has it?? Which CD title is the best one I should get?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I cannot keep up with the Japanese reissues, but it has been my experience that since the Remastered Classics versions from 1998-99, all issues of any studio albums use those same recordings as their template. The Japanese continue to issue and reissue them in cardboard, jewel cases, box sets, SHM-CD, etc., but all are the the same masters to begin with, and the Remastered Classics version of "B'wana..." is the muddy, near-mono version.

Regarding CDs, from our Resource:
Though the mix on these discs [CDs] are all from the same source, the mastering is somewhat different on both the old A&M CD of PASSAGE and the Japanese SWEET MEMORY. Both of those are just a little less muddy and a little brighter. It’s not a drastic change, but many fans hear the difference.

A bigger difference can be heard on the 45 single that was the b-side to “I Believe You” and on the vinyl version of PASSAGE. On the single, Karen’s vocals are centered but have reverb trails off to the right channel. Tom Scott’s sax has trailing reverb as well on the 45, but is more centered on the album version, while the backing vocals have a little more stereo separation on the vinyl album version than on the 45. Both of these vinyl tracks are brighter than anything on CD.

Matt, if you like to read there is a great discussion on this track on the Passage thread. It starts about here
Official Review - [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

I'm still fascinated with both the single 45 and vinyl LP version of B'wana She No Home. I've always had the vinyl version but recently picked up the single 45 and after all these years I guess I never compared the vinyl versions against the CD versions. I was pleasantly surprised. The single 45 is a bit hot sounding but the LP version has become my new favorite.

I'd put them in this order (top sounding the best) for B'wana She No Home
LP vinyl version
45 vinyl version
original A&M CD 3199/DX 787
Sweet Memory Disc 4 (at last)

Slightly off topic...I've wondered since Richard did not play piano on this track, was Richard even in the studio when Karen laid this track down? Did Pete Jolly perform his piano in the absence of Karen and Richard and Karen added her vocals later after the piano was already laid down? If not then Pete and Richard were in the same studio while Karen laid down the track vocally? I guess I'm confused about how this track came together since Richard did not perform piano. How much was Richard involved with B'wana She No Home?

Back
Top Bottom