Calling John Eidsvoog

I was also going to post a question to him but didn't know where since I haven't listened yet to any songs.

@John Eidsvoog
Can you confirm or deny at this point that the track Those Good Old Dreams was recorded with the RPO. I could have sworn with my life that it was going to be a bonus track on the Target Cd. Was this just in our dreams? Ha.

If I may be so bold and start a new thread as a new member, I was hoping John would come back and tell us all he can about the experience with Richard in creating this new album.

Sometimes patience is a virtue.
If he has been reading all the comments everyone has made so far, "it's going to take some time." I'm sure he will come back when he is ready. He is only one man, we are many! :)

John Eidsvoog's comments throughout the lead-up to the album's release have been a joy to read. They helped set a wonderful sense of anticipation. My question(s) for John is about why the advanced version of "Ticket To Ride" used the old original piano and the album had a rerecorded piano. My comment on the advanced version of TTR was that, even though I liked it a lot, it was disappointing that the original piano was kept. At what point did Richard decide that a newly recorded piano was needed? Was it after the release of the single? Also, did Richard remark or discuss how/why he specifically chose certain songs to redo the piano parts? "Close to You" also has a new piano, except for the piano intro and some of the accents sprinkled throughout the song.

it would be great to hear from John and hopefully get some further insight on how this album came together.

why the advanced version of "Ticket To Ride" used the old original piano and the album had a rerecorded piano.
I think the answer to this one is probably quite simple..... the label wanted something to put out as a promo, and TTR may have been the "closest" to finished at the time they needed it, but wasn't quite finalized yet.

It’s funny to me but about three weeks in I thought our three ‘singles’ had edits. Since I was playing from the cloud it reminded me of the Intel commercial where the movie ending was changed to display the power of the laptop. I sometimes wonder if that was applied here.

Calling occupants of John Eidsvoog's interplanetary craft....Couldn't resist that one. :D

I think the answer to this one is probably quite simple..... the label wanted something to put out as a promo, and TTR may have been the "closest" to finished at the time they needed it, but wasn't quite finalized yet.

I favor this line of reasoning as well. Although there was certainly no malicious intent on anyone's part or attempts to deceive, what better teaser could we possibly have? It's like going to cash in a $50 lottery ticket and being told that you read it wrong, it's actually $5,000. Hahaha I'll take it!

The version of TTR with the old piano is on the Target CD, which I have, and from what I gather on the regular CD not purchased from Target. If a change was made to TTR, then it came somewhat late in the game, after these first CDs were pressed. I have a download of the album with the newer version of TTR and that is the version that Richard ultimately wanted released. It is too bad that the CDs so far don't have the final version.

The version of TTR with the old piano is on the Target CD, which I have, and from what I gather on the regular CD not purchased from Target. If a change was made to TTR, then it came somewhat late in the game, after these first CDs were pressed. I have a download of the album with the newer version of TTR and that is the version that Richard ultimately wanted released. It is too bad that the CDs so far don't have the final version.

My Target CD has the correct version of TTR.

Ed

Is there a code on the outside of the Target CD to be able to tell which has the earlier version and which has the finalized version? I’m there now...

Is there a code on the outside of the Target CD to be able to tell which has the earlier version and which has the finalized version? I’m there now...

I only have the Target CD with the old versions. I don't think there will be any distinction on a repressing anyway. It will be a crap shoot if you buy one. It is a shame that those of us who bought CDs didn't get the final version of the album. That is why I have a download version as well.

My Target CD has the correct version of TTR.

Ed

Ed, I'm going to ask a favor. Can you look at the underside of your CD (the playing side) and read the tiny machine print around the hub? There's a section that looks like a lighter-silvered bar and in the rightmost part there's even tinier print that has a date and time of manufacture. You might need a magnifying glass to read this.

My Target disc in this section has the following:

11/02/2018 06:02:36 PM #179525

Ed, I'm going to ask a favor. Can you look at the underside of your CD (the playing side) and read the tiny machine print around the hub? There's a section that looks like a lighter-silvered bar and in the rightmost part there's even tinier print that has a date and time of manufacture. You might need a magnifying glass to read this.

Harry, what versions of YOM and TTR are on your disc?

I was also going to post a question to him but didn't know where since I haven't listened yet to any songs.

@John Eidsvoog
Can you confirm or deny at this point that the track Those Good Old Dreams was recorded with the RPO. I could have sworn with my life that it was going to be a bonus track on the Target Cd. Was this just in our dreams? Ha.

Good Old Dreams was the only additional song recorded for the project, but for whatever reason wasn't included.

Harry, what versions of YOM and TTR are on your disc?

Both of my CDs (Target and standard Amazon) have the early versions of those two songs. Only my download files have the updated. That's why I'm curious about Ed's who claims a Target CD with updated Ticket. The dates on both of my CDs is 11/02/2018.

Both of my CDs (Target and standard Amazon) have the early versions of those two songs. Only my download files have the updated. That's why I'm curious about Ed's who claims a Target CD with updated Ticket. The dates on both of my CDs is 11/02/2018.

Thank you, Harry. It sounds like we probably have the same pressing. I am going to check my Target CD anyway when I get home.

So then newer pressings should have the new piano part? Would it also have the redone piano beginning on YOM? Where the orchestra goes right into the vocal?

I can confirm my Target CD has the same exact numbers listed above. I had no idea these details were on the bottom, date and actual time, very interesting. This is confirmation of early pressings. I am curious if Japan will have any markings on their CD. Mine just left outbound Tokyo today.

Back
Top Bottom