Can you imagine Karen singing "Nothing all All"?

Can any of you imagine (in your musical mind's ear) Karen Carpenter's alto voice singing --
"Nothing at All" ?

The songwriter, I believe, is Kerry Minnear of Gentle Giant -- and this appeared on that band's self-titled debut album which was released in 1970.

-- At least the verses of that song … and also the bridge, maybe.
However, the more aggressive Rock riff passage may not have been any good match for Karen.
In fact, Derek's voice is well-suited for that more aggressive louder ("heavier") style.

But the verse, I mean, at least.

Here is the B.B.C. version --
Derek Schulman essentially provides a demo vocal track:

Last edited:
I had never heard this song or heard of the band. I like it. I’ll have to chase down the studio version. This version does sound very ‘demo’. I think Karen’s voice was suited to doing alternate stuff. Maybe it was the tinges of darkness that people talk about - although I mainly only hear warmth. Yes, I can imagine her reaching the highs and lows of this song with aplomb. I can imagine this type of arty, alternate style providing a contrast and variation to her romantic ballads. She could have done similar stuff to this very well. K&R did dabble in some almost alternate material early on, (as everyone knows).

I had never heard this song or heard of the band. I like it. I’ll have to chase down the studio version. This version does sound very ‘demo’. I think Karen’s voice was suited to doing alternate stuff. Maybe it was the tinges of darkness that people talk about - although I mainly only hear warmth. Yes, I can imagine her reaching the highs and lows of this song with aplomb. I can imagine this type of arty, alternate style providing a contrast and variation to her romantic ballads. She could have done similar stuff to this very well. K&R did dabble in some almost alternate material early on, (as everyone knows).
I'm glad that you liked it, Brian :agree:. (Search for Gentle Giant's self-titled debut album from 1970. In a way, I like this BBC version better, though.)
"arty, alternative style" -- it is a ballad, wouldn't you say? ( -- at least until the hard-rock riff comes in, and then percussion middle movement).

I suppose, once the hard-rock riff kicks in (by 1972 (was it?), the Carpenters band had a Rock guitarist who could have gotten the right feel and sound for that) --
But -- as far as Karen's voice -- maybe the best idea for their rendition would have been to not sing and just let the riff dominate (instrumentally). I say that because I can't imagine Karen's vocals being a good match for that passage.
In the Gentle Giant rendition, Derek Schulman does a good belting-out Soul vocal. He had a rather good voice for that kind of part.

It's a matter of style (stylistic fit).

But, there's also a drum solo (percussion feature) in the middle !
Karen could have ripped on drums (much more than Martin Smith did here. He doesn't have any blazing chops. He was wonderfully-suited for grooves/accompaniment, in my opinion, though.)

This could have blown the minds of the young kiddies at Carpenters concerts (and maybe offended some others, with sensitive sensibilities). They wanted safe-as-milk M.O.R. pop -only!

Back
Top Bottom