"Can't Smile Without You" on the UK CD of "The Singles - 1974-1978"

Dean Lander

I was cataloging the UK CD of "The Singles 1974-1978" and noticed the section that Chris May wrote about this version of the song (see below) which is the "single version - re-recorded vocal in with different first verse". If this was the 78 remix, then there may be an error as the UK single of "Calling Occupants..." which was the A Side to "Can't Smile Without You", entered the UK Top 40 Singles Chart on W/B 9th October 1977. Am I getting confused or was the remix in '78 completed and released in '77?

From the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource, Chris May says,
The remix in ’78 also included a few other changes in addition to alternate lead on the first verse. The Fender Rhodes was re-recorded with a little more energy for the intro and first verse, splicing the new intro/verse together with the rest of the ORIGINAL instrumentation (including original Rhodes track), from the pickup into the second verse to the end. There is also additional orchestration at the instrumental section on the single mix, not found on the the original album mix. This complete ‘version’ if you will was also the version heard remixed yet again in later years…

If you're trying to figure out whether the remix should be listed as 77 or 78, that's a tough call. It appeared on the "Occupants" single, but also appeared on the 74-78 album. Chris chose to call it a '78 remix, and when I wrote up the descriptor in the Resource, I just used "single version". It was surely done around that time and as long as we're all referring to the same recording, it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

Some of the dates of remixes were only decided by the time of first release, and it's certainly possible that a 1992 or 1994 remix was actually done in the giant remixing sessions of 1990 or 1991.

Hi
I wonder why Cant smile without you featured on Singles 74 to 78 Album.I know it was b side to occupants but wouldnt it have been better to have include Goofus even though that never charted in UK at least it was a minor hit in US.

Thanks for your reply Harry. I always thought "Can't Smile Without You" was underestimated as a song an d particularly Karen's version. I like the original album version better than the single version. I definately prefer the Carpenters version over Barry Manilow. I think "Goofus" over "Can't Smile..." would not have been a positive inclusion only because I prefer "Can't Smile...", even though I like "Goofus".

Hi
I wonder why Cant smile without you featured on Singles 74 to 78 Album.I know it was b side to occupants but wouldnt it have been better to have include Goofus even though that never charted in UK at least it was a minor hit in US.
As others have mentioned, apparently "Goofus" was never issued as a single or B-side in the UK, so including it on a "Singles" collection would've been odd, just like including "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" would be odd on a "Singles" collection outside of Japan, where BUIHTD was issued as a 45, but was an album track every where else.

Of course with the 74-78 collection it's odd that A&M UK, especially for an album released around November 1978, would not have included "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" which reached #37 on the UK charts in 74.

just like including "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" would be odd on a "Singles" collection outside of Japan, where BUIHTD was issued as a 45, but was an album track every where else.

Does anyone know how the single performed on the charts in Japan?

As others have mentioned, apparently "Goofus" was never issued as a single or B-side in the UK, so including it on a "Singles" collection would've been odd, just like including "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" would be odd on a "Singles" collection outside of Japan, where BUIHTD was issued as a 45, but was an album track every where else.

Of course with the 74-78 collection it's odd that A&M UK, especially for an album released around November 1978, would not have included "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" which reached #37 on the UK charts in 74.
Hi
Yes forgotten about Santa claus is comin to town which peaked at no 37 in Dec 1975.It should have been included on Singles 74 to 78 Album.

Hi
Yes forgotten about Santa claus is comin to town which peaked at no 37 in Dec 1975.It should have been included on Singles 74 to 78 Album.
I guess they were following the 69-73 album that didn't include "Merry Christmas Darling".

Back
Top Bottom