Carpenters #1s Album

Kyle Thomas

The Beatles 1 CD includes all their #1 hits in order. Mariah Carey has an album of #1s, and other artists do as well.

Although the Carpenters only had three #1 hits on Billboard, they racked up a large number of #1s on the Adult Contemporary charts as well as charts around the world. I put together a playlist of what a Carpenters #1s album would look like if it followed the Beatles pattern of making one CD with all the #1 hits in order.

Any surprises to anyone on this list? I wonder if this might be a good compilation for A&M to consider in the future. Liner notes would be interesting, as they'd point out the worldwide appeal of the Carpenters as well as their dominance of the US Adult Contemporary charts during the 1970s.

1. Close to You (#1 for four weeks in the US, for three weeks in Australia, two weeks in Canada, and six weeks on the US AC chart)

2. We've Only Just Begun (#1 for one week in Canada, and for seven weeks on the US AC chart)

3. For All We Know (#1 for three weeks on the US AC chart)

4. Rainy Days and Mondays (#1 for four weeks on the US AC chart)

5. Superstar (#1 for two weeks on the US AC chart)

6. Hurting Each Other (#1 for two weeks on the US AC chart)

7. Goodbye to Love (#1 for one week on the Canada AC chart)

8. Top of the World (#1 for two weeks in the US, for four weeks in Australia, for two weeks in Canada, and one week in New Zealand)

9. Sing (#1 for two weeks on the US AC chart)

10. Yesterday Once More (#1 for one week in Canada, and for three weeks on the US AC chart)

11. I Won't Last a Day without You (#1 for one week on the US AC chart)

12. Please Mr. Postman (#1 for one week in the US, for five weeks in Australia, for five weeks in New Zealand, and for one week in Canada)

13. Only Yesterday (#1 for one week on the US AC chart, and for one week in Zimbabwe)

14. Solitaire (#1 for one week on the US AC chart)

15. There's a Kind of Hush (#1 for two weeks on the US AC chart)

16. I Need to Be in Love (#1 for one week on the US AC chart)

17. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (#1 for two weeks in Ireland)

18. Touch Me When We’re Dancing (#1 for two weeks on the US AC chart)

See if this disc might suit your playlist:

1605986346559.png

Tracklist​

1(They Long To Be) Close To You4:31
2We've Only Just Begun3:06
3For All We Know2:32
4Rainy Days And Mondays3:37
5Superstar3:50
6Hurting Each Other2:43
7Goodbye To Love4:00
8It's Going To Take Some Time2:57
9Sing3:17
10Yesterday Once More3:55
11Top Of The World2:59
12I Won't Last A Day Without You4:31
13Jambalaya (On The Bayou)3:41
14Please Mr. Postman2:45
15Only Yesterday3:45
16Solitaire4:40
17There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)3:02
18I Need To Be In Love3:46
19Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft7:03
20Touch Me When We're Dancing3:16

It's amazing how close that is! The only two differences are the addition of "Jambalaya" and "It's Going to Take Some Time."

I thought "It's Going To Take Some Time" reached #1 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart
And "Jambalaya" did reach #1 on the UK Capital Radio chart (not major I know but still)

Did the album version of “Top of the World” hit #1 in Japan? Remember Japan issued the album version as a single months before the official single mix was released.

I never bought the UK CD, The Nation's Favorite Songs. Why do you think they decided to include both original album tracks and then so many different remixes from different years instead of say all original album mixes or all remixes. I basically already have all these songs but the one plus is that we don't usually get too many compilations that run in chronological order. I'm surprised that Ticket to Ride, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song and Those Good Old Dreams were not included, were these not popular in the UK?

I never bought the UK CD, The Nation's Favorite Songs. Why do you think they decided to include both original album tracks and then so many different remixes from different years instead of say all original album mixes or all remixes. I basically already have all these songs but the one plus is that we don't usually get too many compilations that run in chronological order. I'm surprised that Ticket to Ride, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song and Those Good Old Dreams were not included, were these not popular in the UK?
All 3 songs did not chart on the UK charts.

It's amazing how close that is! The only two differences are the addition of "Jambalaya" and "It's Going to Take Some Time."

Yeah funny that, it’s almost as if there wasn’t actually a fan vote at all and it was just a marketing ruse to promote the new collection and accompanying TV special.

I'm surprised that Ticket to Ride, All You Get From Love Is A Love Song and Those Good Old Dreams were not included, were these not popular in the UK?

They either weren’t released or didn’t chart in the UK.

The thing I disliked about this CD was that they used the extended version of I Won’t Last A Day Without You that has the new piano run-off at the end. It then goes into Jambalaya, which is not where it was originally intended to go and sounds completely out of place as a result.

Last edited:

Yeah funny that, it’s almost as if there wasn’t actually a fan vote at all and it was just a marketing ruse to promote the new collection and accompanying TV special.

"We've Only Just Begun" and "Yesterday Once More" also reached number one in the Cashbox trade magazine rankings along with "Close To You", "Top of the World" and "Please Mr, Postman".

Stephen, this may be the truest conspiracy I've heard yet. But also, knowing how optics work, I think you're definitely right. 😂

Back
Top Bottom