Carpenters A-Z BBC special - Suprises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon KC1950

I'm listening now... It's so good. You need to hear it ! It flows as one big program with the songs edited... And I mean edited ! Shortened but it's so well done that I'm not hearing where parts have been removed, the Oldies Medley rearranged to flow from Fun, Fun Fun to One Fine Day. Richard's narrating over and in between each song and he's hysterical ! I was suprised he swore about the Now & Then cover, he's revealing some great insights... Love Me For What I Am is wrong... Not how it should be heard, something wrong with the tape according to Richard just to name one insight. So many of the non singles being played like You'll Love Me, California Dreaming and Dizzy Fingers and, Suntory Pop jingle and the live Piano Picker. This is incredible! I'll post more once I've re-listened over the next few days when I've absorbed it all. You all need to hear this !

That was great. Richard was in fine form and seemed genuinely pleased to be asked about Eve and The Uninvited Guest (a track he hadn't listed to in a while and was going to after the interview). I didn't catch who the interviewer was (you didn't hear them) but they seemed to have a good rapport with Richard.

A few other rarer tracks were played including Love Me For What I Am (apparently he was never happy with the sound of that one - a techical issue which made it sound 'phasey') and Happy (he's not keen on the synthesizer these days). The Now and Then album photo shoot really pissed him off (his words!) and apparently that's why he looks annoyed in the car (I didn't know this). They played the opening of Californian Dreaming, the Voice Of The Heart version of Make Believe It's Your First Time, a few Live At The Palladium tracks (Piano Picker and A Kind Of Hush). Most tracks were heavily edited as mention by others but seemlessly so. I don't think they mentioned Karen's drumming though which was odd (perhaps that'll be mentioned in the extended version?)

I really felt for him at the end though when he talked about the lack of recognition Karen receives as one the greatest singers of all time (he mentioned how she's usually referred to merely as a singer from the 70's) and the lack of recognition for his work/the music he made with his sister. Presumably he was referring to their repution in the USA? Sad. I hope he gets to see this recognition during his life.

One of the best things I`ve listened to in ages!!
I have to be honest, I was dreading this at first, because although I love the graham Norton show on the BBC, I can`t stand the bloke on the radio, but credit where it`s due, he pulled this off.
it was great to hear a variation of their music and not just the `usual suspects`, such as uninvited guest etc and even the pop advert.
I got a bit angry at the idiot who said if Karen lived next door to you, you wouldn't look over the fence at her, well, I`m willing to bet there`s a few thousand guys who would have done, including me, I can tell you.
learned a lot I didn't know, but tickled pink to hear Richard praise the `Now & Then` cover :laugh::laugh:
I know he never liked it, but blimey, I didn't know it ran that deep!
Great program and have to admit to losing it at the end, when he started talking about Karen the way he did, so bless him for that.
great program and if Aprils is as good as this, I can`t wait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom