"Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography": New Book by Randy Schmidt

Looking forward to this, but I hope there`s an audio-book of it, as I`m not a big reader. I have `little girl blue` audio-book on disc, but because it`s 11 hours long, I spent ages splitting it up into a couple of chapters at a time (around an hour or so per listen). I really enjoyed that and learned a lot from it, so I hope they do the same with this. it won`t stop me buying it though, so that I have it!

Unfortunately, there most likely will not be an audiobook. This is a 192-page coffee table book and is heavily illustrated. The text includes conversations on each album by teams of commentators, so I don't think it would work well as an audiobook.

Randy

This looks like a great project. The John Tobler discopgraphy guide from the 1990s was a nice idea but only gave a cursory overview of their songs (plus I found a lot of Tobler's opinions to be very subjective), so an expansion of that theme, plus the use of a lot of rare photos and input from various viewpoints, should be a winner.

Randy did a great job on the articles compendium book and the Karen biography, so I'd expect this to be done to a very high standard. Love the choice of image for the front cover too - one of their best-ever photos (no goody-fourshoes grins or horrible outfits) and the sort of picture that should have been used on more of their studio album covers.

The book is available for pre-order now. I'm still on the edge of ordering it, only because I don't want to pay 37 dollars for shipping!

The book is available for pre-order now. I'm still on the edge of ordering it, only because I don't want to pay 37 dollars for shipping!

The book is only available for pre-order and won't be released or shipped until May, you might find it cheaper to order it off Amazon when it becomes available after the official release date. Of course, the only way to get signed copies and extras is through the pre-order or going to the Carpenters 50th event in April.

I am going to check into that. Since the book is around two pounds, I know it's expensive to ship internationally, but I am not sure if it should be THAT expensive. The site is linked to the USPS site, though, and is set up to charge actual postage plus a small amount to cover the packaging costs.

Randy, can you tell us what the 18 albums are?

Hi Mark! Great question . . .

OFFERING
CLOSE TO YOU
CARPENTERS
A SONG FOR YOU
NOW & THEN
THE SINGLES 1969-1973
HORIZON
A KIND OF HUSH
PASSAGE
CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT
MADE IN AMERICA
VOICE OF THE HEART
AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS
Richard Carpenter: TIME
LOVELINES
Karen Carpenter: KAREN CARPENTER
Richard Carpenter: PIANIST ARRANGER COMPOSER CONDUCTOR
AS TIME GOES BY

I’d love to get a signed copy but are they only available in US? Looks to be a great book

Randy Schmidt has compiled a new book which will be released this spring - Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography. It will be launched at a special event at the 50th Anniversary Convention on Saturday 27th April where he will be conducting a Q&A and signing copies.

COMING SOON!

Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography is an essential album-by-album retrospective of the legendary duo’s recordings.

With more than 100 million records sold worldwide, the Carpenters are among the most beloved and enduring musical acts of the past 50 years. Randy L. Schmidt, author of the acclaimed bestselling biography Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter has assembled a team of commentators—journalists, authors, musicians, and other entertainment industry figures—for a series of in-depth, insightful, and opinionated conversations on every release. Beautifully presented with more than 200 images, many never before seen, the result is a must-have for pop music lovers.

Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography

Here is the link to PRE-ORDER: PRE-ORDER Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography

The book is also available for pre-order from the publisher and will list on Amazon and Barnes & Noble very soon.

Randy

Really looking forward to this release! Does look like a great year for the Carpenters 50th anniversary! :)

I’d love to get a signed copy but are they only available in US? Looks to be a great book

It ships worldwide from the pre-order site (US and UK are free shipping, the rest of the world is standard International postage). Plus it will be available on Amazon US, UK, Canada, and so on.

Reactions: Sue
It ships worldwide from the pre-order site (US and UK are free shipping, the rest of the world is standard International postage). Plus it will be available on Amazon US, UK, Canada, and so on.

Thankyou that’s great

I don't know whether this has been brought up, if I am missing it, forgive me. My question to Randy; will you be signing copies of the book at the actual book launch during the event in April? and also, will you have any of your other books available for purchase at this event? Namely "Little Girl Blue"? I would like to buy a signed copy of that.

Congratulations on this new project, Randy. You must be delighted. Tell me, will this be a critical review of albums from outside parties, or will we get some behind the scenes studio anecdotes, recording dates, production details etc.?

I don't know whether this has been brought up, if I am missing it, forgive me. My question to Randy; will you be signing copies of the book at the actual book launch during the event in April? and also, will you have any of your other books available for purchase at this event? Namely "Little Girl Blue"? I would like to buy a signed copy of that.

The pre-ordered "Special Editions" will be signed and numbered in gold (in advance) and include a frameable 8x10. But yes, I will gladly sign copies of the book at the event in April, too. And I will have copies of Little Girl Blue and Yesterday Once More on hand, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on this new project, Randy. You must be delighted. Tell me, will this be a critical review of albums from outside parties, or will we get some behind the scenes studio anecdotes, recording dates, production details etc.?

Thank you! I am absolutely delighted. It's really beautifully designed and hopefully a diehard fan's dream. To answer your question, this will be a critical review of the albums. I enlisted a group of 30+ commentators to discuss the albums in one-hour conference calls which were then transcribed and edited/finessed into the discussions in the book. Hope that makes sense!

Thank you! I am absolutely delighted. It's really beautifully designed and hopefully a diehard fan's dream. To answer your question, this will be a critical review of the albums. I enlisted a group of 30+ commentators to discuss the albums in one-hour conference calls which were then transcribed and edited/finessed into the discussions in the book. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks Randy. Can't wait. When I see just 1 previously unseen photo I get the flutters so I'll probably pass out upon receipt of your book!!!

I've wondered why such a book didn't exist, so I'm delighted to see Randy taking on this project and bringing it to fruition. I'm as excited about this as I was about the RPO album. Congrats Randy!

Mine was #40 something a couple days ago so if it’s in the 70’s now than the limited edition #’s are going to sell out pretty quickly. I wanted the 8x10 frameable print as well.

Back
Top Bottom