"Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography": New Book by Randy Schmidt

I really hope they ship our preorders in May. Amazon and Barnes & Noble have a release date of 7/2/2019 for it.
It looks and sounds amazing. The preorder website is now closed. Does anyone else know when they might ship from the preorder website?

I really hope they ship our preorders in May. Amazon and Barnes & Noble have a release date of 7/2/2019 for it.
It looks and sounds amazing. The preorder website is now closed. Does anyone else know when they might ship from the preorder website?
Randy posted on Facebook the other day that he would be signing and shipping now that he was home from 50th. The next few weeks.
Jonathan

I am working on fulfilling those pre-orders now and hope to get them shipped out sometime next week. Thanks for your patience!

Randy

We didn't get nearly enough time to talk in LA, so it will be good to see you again in London.

Likewise, look forward to it! One or two other attendees mentioned to me in Thousand Oaks that they'll be in London as well, so it will be great to see them again too.

I finished reading the Complete Discography book last night. Wow. What a read! It was engaging and I found myself both nodding in complete agreement with some of the commentary and scratching my head and completely disagreeing with other comments. Being able to read who the commenters were (their brief bios in the back of the book) gave clarity as to why some thought what they thought. I especially loved the insight of those that were around both Karen and Richard at the time and/or at A&M records when the albums were being produced. Those commenters, to me anyway, really gave context and texture to the albums and made this a fascinating read.

The album reviews were an interesting snapshot in time. The way Randy juxtaposed them for each album gave clarity to which critics were honest evaluators and which one's really had an axe to grind with Carpenters (Stereo Weekly, is it?). I was surprised that Billboard Magazine was actually pretty fair minded regarding the albums. I always thought, imagined really, they were one that was unduly harsh on them....but not necessarily so, I learned! And let's not forget the thoughts of Richard, Karen, Herb Alpert, Phil Ramone, and others regarding the Carpenters work though time. On e can see Richard's thoughts "evolve" over the years with some of his work.

I also enjoyed the RIAA certification information for each album, release dates, chart position, etc.. very informative. It's nice to have this as a reference all in one place. The photos were nicely arranged and were connected to the timelines, comments, and the albums' background. These were not just thrown in to look nice, but actually had a connection to the discussions and comments. This gave the book a real "complete" feel to it as stated in the title.

All in all, it's a great edition to my library. I'm very glad to have it.

I received my copy from Randy today. I couldn't put its down (and not just my piece of it). A real work of love that should make those who read it rethink their perspectives on the duo and their music. Very very nice volume... Thanks again, Randy, for including me!

Mine has just arrived (a UK-er)! I was a bit baffled when my wife said there was a parcel for me as I wasn't expecting the book to be so big. And a hardback. First impressions flicking through it (being careful not to get it grubby having been out in the garden) is wow! Great quality and fantastic photos. Looking forward to reading it!

Mine has just arrived (a UK-er)! I was a bit baffled when my wife said there was a parcel for me as I wasn't expecting the book to be so big. And a hardback. First impressions flicking through it (being careful not to get it grubby having been out in the garden) is wow! Great quality and fantastic photos. Looking forward to reading it!

Has anyone else in U.K. received theirs yet? I’m waiting with anticipation!

Has anyone else in U.K. received theirs yet? I’m waiting with anticipation!
Sue, some of the UK books will be delayed for signatures. So far we have only been able to ship those that didn't require a signature.

Reactions: Sue
Thanks Randy that’s good of you to let me know. I’ve been away this week so I was hoping I hadn’t missed the package. When I found a missed delivery card through m peter box.

Arrived today. Thank you, Randy. Have greatly enjoyed reliving some very good times with Carpenters music. The photos are excellent -- I continue to be baffled why some of the best photos of the duo were considered outtakes at the time. Wonderful having the opportunity to see them in this book.

I received an email update from Amazon this morning!
“Your new estimated delivery date is: Friday, May 17, 2019 - Wednesday, May 22, 2019”!!
Thanks for the info.
I ordered from a different place, I think it was Randy's pre-order website, I ordered a limited edition signed book with a photo and sticker so that may be why mine is being delayed. I'm not sure when those are going to ship.

Is an e-edition available on Amazon Prime?

EDIT - I looked and it's not....which is pretty surprising. I hope it comes out that way in the future.

Back
Top Bottom