"Carpenters: An Illustrated Discography": New Book by Randy Schmidt

I just opened the box that had been sitting in my bedroom for the past 3 weeks and what a joy to behold Randy's book "An Illustrated Discography" It's very high end, the pages are regal just like the Carpenters. I haven't read much but so many photos I'd never seen before. My favorite is the full page alternate shot of the Horizon LP cover, wow Karen looks even more amazing in this photo. A perfect photo of the both of them on page 74. My other is the alternate photo of Karen and Miss Piggy how cute never seen that. Then my ultimate favorite is the film strip from the solo sessions of Karen singing "Making Love In The Afternoon" so many cute shots of Karen having fun and getting in that moment. These are rare pieces to cherish and they provide so much happiness to the fans.

Thank you Randy and also for the references about Olivia and Olivia's photo too in the book.
Finally we have a coffee table book we have all been waiting for...great job!!!

Can you do one on Olivia Newton-John next? :wink:

My book arrived yesterday and I spent the whole afternoon and evening reading through it all, while Vinyls of the albums played in the background. Not a bad way to spend a summer evening!

What a fantastic project! Thank you to Randy and to all the contributors for the appreciation/critique of every album. And the photos are terrific.

Just got. One from Amazon Uk, what a perfect book, awesome is all I can say, arrived today and totally overjoyed! So interesting as to what the experts think. So many pics never seen before and so interesting to what experts thinks of the albums. Lots to read. Thanks so much Randy!

I just opened the box that had been sitting in my bedroom for the past 3 weeks and what a joy to behold Randy's book "An Illustrated Discography" It's very high end, the pages are regal just like the Carpenters. I haven't read much but so many photos I'd never seen before. My favorite is the full page alternate shot of the Horizon LP cover, wow Karen looks even more amazing in this photo. A perfect photo of the both of them on page 74. My other is the alternate photo of Karen and Miss Piggy how cute never seen that. Then my ultimate favorite is the film strip from the solo sessions of Karen singing "Making Love In The Afternoon" so many cute shots of Karen having fun and getting in that moment. These are rare pieces to cherish and they provide so much happiness to the fans.

Thank you Randy and also for the references about Olivia and Olivia's photo too in the book.
Finally we have a coffee table book we have all been waiting for...great job!!!

Can you do one on Olivia Newton-John next? :wink:

What a wonderful review! Thanks so much for your kind words. I am thrilled you love the new book.

I got mine from Randy’s site, but checked in our Barnes and Noble today and didn’t see any copies.

Jonathan

It's unlikely that you will see copies in an actual Barnes & Noble store, but you can certainly order it from them. It's difficult for small publishers to get into Barnes & Noble's brick and mortar stores no matter how well the book does. Best to order from either Amazon or B&N or even direct from the publisher, Mascot Books.

Keep enjoying! And tell others. Reviews and word of mouth go a long way...
Randy

Randy, tell us about the reception to the book, your interviews etc.

Mark,

So far, the reception to the book has been overwhelmingly positive. It was a book created with the fans in mind and I think we hit the target in terms of a product that is of high quality and it seems like they fans are truly enjoying the experience of exploring the photos and digging into the discussions. We launched it first to the Carpenters Celebration attendees in Thousand Oaks at the end of April and it was a packed room full of fans. Then in June I was able to do an event in NYC for about 40 or so fans before departing to London where my executive publisher (and fellow forum member) @paul.ashurst hosted me for the week and we had TWO NIGHTS of capacity crowds for events at the Back Room Bar at Hard Rock London. It was such a thrill to meet the UK fans and celebrate the new book. And seeing the Carpenters posters in the windows of Hard Rock made my day. OK, it made my SUMMER!

64920476_10217739498091471_2368658898782519296_n.jpg

All the best,
Randy

I've finally been able to add a blurb to the Resource site about Randy's new book. There have been some technical difficulties in getting it there, but it's now up.
I saw that! Thank you so much for featuring it there.

Randy

Mark,

So far, the reception to the book has been overwhelmingly positive. It was a book created with the fans in mind and I think we hit the target in terms of a product that is of high quality and it seems like they fans are truly enjoying the experience of exploring the photos and digging into the discussions. We launched it first to the Carpenters Celebration attendees in Thousand Oaks at the end of April and it was a packed room full of fans. Then in June I was able to do an event in NYC for about 40 or so fans before departing to London where my executive publisher (and fellow forum member) @paul.ashurst hosted me for the week and we had TWO NIGHTS of capacity crowds for events at the Back Room Bar at Hard Rock London. It was such a thrill to meet the UK fans and celebrate the new book. And seeing the Carpenters posters in the windows of Hard Rock made my day. OK, it made my SUMMER!

64920476_10217739498091471_2368658898782519296_n.jpg

All the best,
Randy
I love this book. And now I want a poster.

I managed to snap up one of these posters at the London event for a small donation and it's great - huge! I'm hoping to get it framed this month and put on my wall.

The photo that takes up the whole page opposite Chapter 16 (Karen's solo work) is stunning. I hadn't seen this one until I got the book. Are those tears in Karen's eyes? You talk about the eyes being windows to the soul; I feel this photo reflects what her vocalizations were all about, absolute beauty tinged with a little sadness. I'm still marveling at the photos in this book!

Let me join the rapidly expanding conga line forming here to lavish praise on Randy's new book. It is truly brilliant work in every respect, beginning with the rare photos and images of rare and unusual memorabilia. But the way Randy structured the discussions with his interviewees is beyond masterful--it's one of the best such efforts I've ever seen. There is an energy and flow to the text that really makes one feel that they're in the room with the participants, and there are so many nuggets of insight there that the book will remain food for thought for years to come.

Regardless of whatever else might emerge in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of the Carpenters' signing to A&M, this book is the greatest gift that fans and admirers could wish for in such a year. We should all give copies as Christmas presents to those we know who've demonstrated even the slightest affinity for Karen & Richard--this book really does have the potential to create new fans (as well as please long-time admirers). Let's all do our part to use Randy's book to help tip the scales in the direction of our heroes!

You'd better do a bulk order on those posters, Randy--we are all jockeying for position for them! With a photo like that, how could any Carpenter fan resist? Congratulations to you for such a stellar achievement and many, many, many thanks!

The photo that takes up the whole page opposite Chapter 16 (Karen's solo work) is stunning. I hadn't seen this one until I got the book. Are those tears in Karen's eyes? You talk about the eyes being windows to the soul; I feel this photo reflects what her vocalizations were all about, absolute beauty tinged with a little sadness. I'm still marveling at the photos in this book!

It's one of my favorites in the book . . . if not THE ONE favorite. Stunning, isn't it?

Let me join the rapidly expanding conga line forming here to lavish praise on Randy's new book. It is truly brilliant work in every respect, beginning with the rare photos and images of rare and unusual memorabilia. But the way Randy structured the discussions with his interviewees is beyond masterful--it's one of the best such efforts I've ever seen. There is an energy and flow to the text that really makes one feel that they're in the room with the participants, and there are so many nuggets of insight there that the book will remain food for thought for years to come.

Regardless of whatever else might emerge in conjunction with the 50th anniversary of the Carpenters' signing to A&M, this book is the greatest gift that fans and admirers could wish for in such a year. We should all give copies as Christmas presents to those we know who've demonstrated even the slightest affinity for Karen & Richard--this book really does have the potential to create new fans (as well as please long-time admirers). Let's all do our part to use Randy's book to help tip the scales in the direction of our heroes!

You'd better do a bulk order on those posters, Randy--we are all jockeying for position for them! With a photo like that, how could any Carpenter fan resist? Congratulations to you for such a stellar achievement and many, many, many thanks!

Don,

Wow, what a wonderful message. Thank you so much. I am glad that you got the feeling of being in the room with the commentators. My goal was to maintain their individual voices while constructing somewhat of a collaborative album review. It sounds like it worked. Please review the book on Amazon and/or Barnes & Noble. These kinds of comments would go far in helping to encourage potential readers to get the book!

Many thanks,
Randy

My order for the new carpenters book has been dispatched and unfortunately sent to my mums house so I’ll have to wait til next week to finally look at it. To say I’m VERY excited is not a big enough word. Having read all the posts here about the book , I know it will be worth the wait. I already have copies of Randy’s previous carpenters books and they are both amazing. This new book will look great among my carpenters book and cd collection. Having seen a picture of the front cover ( which is a favourite of mine) I cannot wait to see what other pictures are inside. Thank you to Randy for creating another carpenters gem for all their fans to enjoy 😊And I’m joining in with the other fans here about a poster , I think it’s a great idea !

Back
Top Bottom