CarpenterS and American Top 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Last weekend a radio station here in Portland played a 1970's retrospective of the most popular artists of the decade. The rankings were based on chart positions as well as length of time on chart per Billboard. The top five are #1 Elton, #2 Bee Gees, #3 Paul McCartney and Wings, #4 CarpenterS, #5 Stevie Wonder. Commenting on K&R Casey Kasem said that they are the biggest selling duo in chart history. He also mentioned that Elton was far and away the top dog. I thought that C's are in pretty good company. When Close To You began at the end of commentary I had chills and this program took me back and rooted me like an anchor to my first listen. Exciting to hear airplay once again.

Jeff

I think the phrase "Carpenters and American Top 40" is almost an oxymoron.K&R get absolutely no airplay on any Top-40 stations in America today-and they haven't for the past thirty years.And,most of their singles weren't top 40 material,anyway.
In the NY metro area,K&R get some limited airplay on a few stations-an easy listening station that plays 60's/70's pop standard fare(they play "Touch Me When Were Dancing"and a few others),and a traditional jazz station that plays K&R's jazz-oriented tracks("This Masquerade","A Song For You","Little Girl Blue").There's also an oldies station(60's/70's) that plays a few tracks:"Only Yesterday"."It's Going To Take Some Time","Close To You").
Probably anywhere in America,you will only hear K&R on these types of stations.(Even the "lite-FM" stations won't play K&R,as they concentrate on modern "lite" music(Mariah Carey,Whitney Houston,etc").

The only time I ever hear the Carpenters on the radio here in Phoenix is at Christmas time. Maybe I should get satellite radio.

Last Sunday on the American Top 40 retrospective Casey Kasem announced "moving from number six to number three , the Carpenters and Yesterday Once More." FLASHBACK!!! Today the program randomly selected a week in '76 and CK said "in at #25 Carpenters and I Need To Be In Love." This show is a hoot. To hear the charts recounted once a again is pure excitement. For one thing K&R are magically plucked from their hey-day and filling the airwaves and another is the nostalgia. The lyrics to YOM are particularly poignant today. Man oh man, do you remember when?

Every sha la la la,

Jeff

I really enjoy listening to the old AT40 shows. To me, however, the best parts are the segments from #40 up to about #15. That's where you hear the songs that weren't (and still aren't) played to death -- a lot of songs that you can't find today in any format!​

It's also cool to hear the first chart appearance from an artist. I like Casey's intros on those.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom