Carpenters back on the BBC this Christmas!

The BBC will be repeating "Carpenters at the BBC" this year. (Last showing was in 2015) It's on BBC2, Christmas Eve at 12.30am (or to be more precise, very early in the morning on Christmas Day!) So hopefully, after broadcast, it will be available in glorious HD.

The BBC will be repeating "Carpenters at the BBC" this year. (Last showing was in 2015) It's on BBC2, Christmas Eve at 12.30am (or to be more precise, very early in the morning on Christmas Day!) So hopefully, after broadcast, it will be available in glorious HD.
Can you share with us that are not able to watch it.

I remember taping this on BBC2 back when it was first re-shown as part of the Carpenters UK renaissance, probably around Christmas '95 - it was a fabulous, unexpected surprise.

There's been 3 versions shown on the BBC... The original broadcast with both Tony Joe White songs, the first lot of repeats which edits out the "Close To You" opening, both the Tony Joe White songs and "I Fell In Love" performance... Then this more recent edit with just the Tony Joe White songs missing and also a few lines of dialogue from Richard & Karen edited out to do with his performance.

I don’t see how you expect it to be in “glorious HD” as it was shot on 1970’s videotape, not film. The best you can expect is a PAL 576i image (which does look a little better than a NTSC 480i image)

I don’t see how you expect it to be in “glorious HD” as it was shot on 1970’s videotape, not film. The best you can expect is a PAL 576i image (which does look a little better than a NTSC 480i image)

Some programmes the BBC upload to iPlayer are digititalised to 720p with 50 frames per second, which does give a better picture quality... They've done it with some old episodes of Top of the Pops, for example.

Some programmes the BBC upload to iPlayer are digititalised to 720p with 50 frames per second, which does give a better picture quality... They've done it with some old episodes of Top of the Pops, for example.
Well that’s still not HD. I can see them doing that to help with compression issues, especially onYoutube, so that the video doesn’t get as compressed as it would in 576p or 480p. But otherwise it’s still standard definition. Also there’s the question of how they de-interlaced the original tapes. If they just did a software de-interlace (fastest and cheapest) then the videos have lost half their horizontal resolution due to doubling one interlace field and throwing out the other.

Well that’s still not HD. I can see them doing that to help with compression issues, especially onYoutube, so that the video doesn’t get as compressed as it would in 576p or 480p. But otherwise it’s still standard definition. Also there’s the question of how they de-interlaced the original tapes. If they just did a software de-interlace (fastest and cheapest) then the videos have lost half their horizontal resolution due to doubling one interlace field and throwing out the other.
I've no idea what process they use, but some pre-HD shows like Fawlty Towers, Dr Who and Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (to name a few) have all been upgraded and released on Bluray... You're right, it's probably not true HD, but there is a significant quality in the picture that's better than the DVDs.

I've no idea what process they use, but some pre-HD shows like Fawlty Towers, Dr Who and Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (to name a few) have all been upgraded and released on Bluray... You're right, it's probably not true HD, but there is a significant quality in the picture that's better than the DVDs.
With BBC shows from that era, most everything shot in the studio was shot on standard-definition videotape. Upscaling to 720p does allow for the video to be presented with the least amount of compression (due to Blu-Ray’s high bit rates in HD, where you can get into the 20 and 30 Mbps, comparable to Mini-DV or DVCPRO25 or closer to DVCPRO50 broadcast tapes), and the maximum resolution that 1970’s era PAL. Video can offer, but otherwise, there’s no additional detail to be realized. (Also PAL has also looked better than it’s NTSC counterparts in terms of color due to the nature of PAL, whereas NTSC acquired the nickname’Never The Same Color’.)

No then if any Carpenters concerts were shot on location at say “Royal Albert Hall”, then those would probably exist on 16mm film and could be rescanned up to 4K levels. In the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s the BBC would shoot on location with 16mm film cameras for shows like Dr. WHO and then edit the two together. But even then, it is clear what was done on videotape and what was shot on film. I have a 60’s BBC Sherlock Holmes show release on DVD, and there’s no mistaking the SD videotape stuff to the film material. So any “HD” Blu-Ray would be a hybrid disc.

Those odd titles are songs performed by Tony Joe White.

Carpenters: 'That on the Road Look'
Carpenters: 'Lust for Earl and the Married Woman'

Right. Those songs are by Tony Joe White, despite what that website reports.

From YT - contains their best ever Bacharach Medley (short version) and Karen's best ever live renditions of "Superstar" and "For All We Know" - also the best camera angles of her singing behind the drum kit...someone planned those shots very well...

Also includes Billy Joe White singing 'That on the Road Look' & 'Lust for Earl and the Married Woman'. Thanks for posting.

Back
Top Bottom