Carpenters Best Vol.1 and Vol.2 (Japan Mail Order)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I recently picked up this new (sealed) set of Carpenters Best Vol.1 and Vol.2 CD's. I was not familiar with this set yet it reminded me a bit of the rare Sweet Memory 6 CD set. I was told this 2 CD set was made in Japan and similar to the Sweet Memory in that it was mail order only and also released in 1994 about the same time Sweet Memory was released. It's hard not to compare the 2 since they were both mail order only and released at the same time and from the same country. Photos of this set also appears in the rare Mook Book from Yuko.

If anyone has this set, I would love to hear your reviews. I grabbed a few shots with my camera to give you an idea of what it looks like and the track listings. The sound quality is excellent much like the sound on the Sweet Memory set.

I have realized there are some interesting tidbits about this set. I have only listened through a couple times but it sounds like most (not all) are the mixes found on Sweet Memory. However there are a few tracks included in this set not on the Sweet Memory set those being, "Sometimes (live)", "Desperado", "Calling Occupants" and "Mr. Guder".

The main attraction here is the inclusion of "Sometimes" which is the same live version found on the Live in Japan 2 CD set. For me, this song really sounds much clearer and brighter than my original Live in Japan 2 CD set. It's interesting to note that Richard's spoken intro has been cut that opens the song and there is applause that ends the track with just a few seconds of clapping that is carried over into the opening of "There's A Kind Of Hush."

The song, "Yesterday Once More" is missing the ending revving of engines that does appear on Sweet Memory so this is a nice they excluded that on Vol.2.

"Sing" sounds like it has much less reverb than what appears on Sweet Memory.

"Only Yesterday" sounds like an edited version unlike what is found on Sweet Memory.

"Let Me Be The One" contains the longer drum stick count in....different than the version on Sweet Memory.

"Make Believe It's Your First Time" contains the spoken intro...different than what appears on Sweet Memory.

So while most of the mixes sound much like what is on Sweet Memory, the order of tracks are different as well as other differences noted above. I'm happy to have added these to my growing collection.

P.S. the black gold logo you see below is the fold out cloth from my 35th anniv box set.

BestVol1and2Inserts.jpg~original

BestVol1and2cds.jpg~original

BestVol1and2BackTrackList.jpg~original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom