Carpenters Bluray? does someone knows more about it?

ChrisCarpenterCollecter

Hello!
yesterday i found out that there is a carpenters bluray! it's called something like "the anthology live in japan" it is a special collecters item from 2016 and it features three concerts in stunning archive quality! the budokan concert from 1974, the budokan concert from 1972 and the osaka concert from 1976. Here is a link to a snippet a friend of mine filmed!
d579fe98cda86279217ed544f54be423.png
ce178c2400a69c2a759610466148f64a.png

You can call it a Blu-ray, and it may indeed be on a Blu-ray disc, but those programs will never be High Definition.

Carpenters are from an age of standard definition. The only way you would ever see them in High Definition is if someone found the master reels of film and re-scanned that film at 2K or above. The only Carpenters films from that era are the "Ticket To Ride" promotional film, and maybe another, I forget just now.

Some parts of their videos were filmed, like the records being pressed for "Those Good Old Dreams", but the rest of the video of Karen and Richard is consigned to low-res videotape.

You can call it a Blu-ray, and it may indeed be on a Blu-ray disc, but those programs will never be High Definition.

Carpenters are from an age of standard definition. The only way you would ever see them in High Definition is if someone found the master reels of film and re-scanned that film at 2K or above. The only Carpenters films from that era are the "Ticket To Ride" promotional film, and maybe another, I forget just now.

Some parts of their videos were filmed, like the records being pressed for "Those Good Old Dreams", but the rest of the video of Karen and Richard is consigned to low-res videotape.
Rainy Days and Mondays, Superstar (Gold DVD version), All You Get From Love Is A Love Song, Only Yesterday, I Need To Be In Love, Hurting Each Other, Please Mr. Postman (Disney), A Kind of Hush, & Morton Potatoe Chip commercial were also shot on film, as you can see on the YOM/Only Yesterday/Gold Video with all the dust specs and scratches (something that wouldn’t be from videotape).

As for those concerts on that DVD, they could’ve been shot on 30fps film, especially the 1972 concert as film would’ve been still been used as an EFP format in 72, but it’s curious as to why the Blu-Ray would be in 16:9. If they are film, they would’ve been shot in 4:3, the TV standard at the time. So are the Blu-Ray videos cropped to 16:9?

As for scanning, anything at scanned at 720p or higher is High-Definition. So the film wouldn’t need to be scanned at 2k to be HD.

Rainy Days and Mondays, Superstar (Gold DVD version), All You Get From Love Is A Love Song, Only Yesterday, I Need To Be In Love, Hurting Each Other, Please Mr. Postman (Disney), A Kind of Hush, & Morton Potatoe Chip commercial were also shot on film, as you can see on the YOM/Only Yesterday/Gold Video with all the dust specs and scratches (something that wouldn’t be from videotape).

Yes, but all of these were transferred to videotape for release on the YESTERDAY/GOLD program. Who knows if the original film elements still exist? It is those FILM elements that can produce high definition.

I look at that supposed Blu-ray, and just shake my head thinking of all of the people who will be duped into spending their hard-earned money on these gray area releases.

Yes, but all of these were transferred to videotape for release on the YESTERDAY/GOLD program. Who knows if the original film elements still exist? It is those FILM elements that can produce high definition.
. That is the question, since from what I see on the DVD, and other sources online, those transfers are also from before the CCD Chip was introduced in 1985 to video camera’s and revolutionized the whole industry with much sharper, clearer pictures than what the old video tube camera’s could capture. Even if the videos only existed on Super 8mm film, you’d still get a much better SD picture with just projecting on a wall or through a prism than what is on the DVD.

that is indeed weird but if you look at the youtube video i shared of it there's no cropping!

Sorry, I would need to see it on a monitor, as the thing with screens, is that some people set up their cinemas so that films in the really wide aspect ratio’s (2.35:1) fill the entire screen, like at a theatre. And then the narrower films (1.78:1 and lower) look cropped. And with your friend’s playback, there was only a brief second at the start where I could see the outline of the video and the screen, and then everything went dark, as his lights went down and Karen was shot against black, but for that brief second, it didn’t look like 4:3, or at least NTSC 4:3 (which Japan would use 720x480). It almost looked like PAL 4:3 (720x576).

Regardless of the aspects of the film elements, this is exciting because we’ve never seen the ‘72 stuff in such great quality! I agree with Harry it’s a grey area release, but I was certainly surprised at the quality of that clip.

I’m pretty sure Richard talks about the source films used for the 1985 video release somewhere. That would be a great question to ask him, as the HD experience with Carpenters would be incredible.

Hello!
yesterday i found out that there is a carpenters bluray! it's called something like "the anthology live in japan" it is a special collecters item from 2016 and it features three concerts in stunning archive quality! the budokan concert from 1974, the budokan concert from 1972 and the osaka concert from 1976. Here is a link to a snippet a friend of mine filmed!
d579fe98cda86279217ed544f54be423.png
ce178c2400a69c2a759610466148f64a.png

Hi Chris, do you have a picture of the disc inside please?

Standard definition stuff, written out to Blu-ray disc. It won't be High Definition.
Coming back on this topic,
Normally i don’t buy grey-area releases but for 9 dollars i was curious. I know it wasn’t shot on film. But they did a really nice job restoring the three concerts. Also the 1976 Osaka Concert is in true Stereo! Not like the rest of the copy’s on the internet.
Many people asked me to copy the bluray to computer but i don’t have the stuff to do that.

Chris

Standard definition stuff, written out to Blu-ray disc. It won't be High Definition.

Didn’t @tomswift2002 already clarify that anything at scanned at 720p or higher is High-Definition? Regardless, that footage above is better quality than anything I’ve seen to date of that concert. A great find and at $9 a bargain!

Just look at all of those tech-y logos! Full HD, LPCM, 1080, DOLBY DIGITAL, - what more could you want? And all for 9 bucks! What a deal!

I'm being facetious here, if you can't tell. But hey, if it floats your boat, then enjoy. I'm not going to support Chinese bootleggers.

Didn’t @tomswift2002 already clarify that anything at scanned at 720p or higher is High-Definition? Regardless, that footage above is better quality than anything I’ve seen to date of that concert. A great find and at $9 a bargain!
That’s if it originated from film like 8mm, 16mm or 35mm film. But if it’s from videotape, then it would be 480i or 576i upconverted to 720p or 1080i/p.

Back
Top Bottom