Carpenters - Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Full (Remastered) HD

Is this remastered video the ultimate Carpenters?

• It's not my favorite Carpenters, but I do love it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As a musician myself, I understand dislike for the extra reverb, it is unfortunate.
However, this has been my favorite actual music video of theirs for many years
and it's only been available in very poor quality so I am thrilled someone has
taken the time to try and restore the visuals.
Does anyone know of a better restoration?

The best video you will find are in the official DVD releases. The audio is all messed up on this u tube video. That is the problem with u tube, so many audio recordings are tampered with and altered.

Great post by the way, just poor example of this video/audio track.

I can’t vote lol

Exactly. The official DVDs are the best source for this.

Thanks for liking the post...much appreciated!
I love the song and video, plus the fact that it became very controversial.
So many people were absolutely puzzled as to why they'd release such a song.

I would never upload someone else's music, so if someone knows a better online source for people to watch please let me know.

Is this remastered video the ultimate?

No. The ultimate is the DVD’s. The major problem is that it was shot on 1970’s composite video tape and then edited on video tape. So the original master for the video only exists as a NTSC 480i video tape. (Most likely 1-inch Type-C Type C videotape - Wikipedia or it might’ve been done on the older 2-inch quad that had been used for the “Perry Como Christmas Show”. Quadruplex videotape - Wikipedia)

Also, YouTube requires 480i content to be converted to 480p, and most YouTubers just use software conversion, which is nowhere close in quality to converting with hardware converters. Your average $30 department store upscaling DVD player does a much higher quality job than software conversion.

u tube is so misleading...sure it might look a bit better on a phone or a tablet but watch this on a home PC or stream to your big screen tv and it’s far from 1080p. I mean this is never going to get any better than DVD quality which is 480p. Sure it might upscale using different machines but is it really ever going to get to 720p let alone 1080p.

After all these years, I finally realized I am never going to like this song or Goodbye To Love or the Evita song. When Karen first comes into the video she looks as though she is rising from the dead. And at times looks like she would rather not be in the video. If I could get in a spacecraft and go back in time, I'd try to talk some sense into her. Somehow, some way. Carpenters fell off my radar after that messy side B on Now & Then. It wasn't until her death that I rediscovered them. Videos in the 70's were in their infancy & I don't expect much from them. Not my favorite expression but "it is what it is." No fault to the poster.

After all these years, I finally realized I am never going to like this song or Goodbye To Love or the Evita song. When Karen first comes into the video she looks as though she is rising from the dead. And at times looks like she would rather not be in the video. If I could get in a spacecraft and go back in time, I'd try to talk some sense into her. Somehow, some way...
I never thought I would say this either, but I've learned recently to like it - after repeated listenings (although I'm not sure why I've been doing this) and as a change of pace from the serious stuff- I think Karen looks great on first appearance and sounds even better (the best musical part of the entire production, along with Richard's piano work in the middle dramatic section) - they probably followed Klattau to closely and could have expanded the story line to much more interesting and eerie places - my chief problem with the song, hard as it is to believe, is in the beginning when the DJ keeps using the word "babe" and then the aliens try to copy him finally but say "baby"... an oversight, or deliberate screwup?

Now, if I could go back in time there's definitely a few very important things I would like to discuss with Karen, but this song is not one of them...but going back would be the easy part compared to getting her to listen...

I never thought I would say this either, but I've learned recently to like it - after repeated listenings (although I'm not sure why I've been doing this) and as a change of pace from the serious stuff- I think Karen looks great on first appearance and sounds even better (the best musical part of the entire production, along with Richard's piano work in the middle dramatic section) - they probably followed Klattau to closely and could have expanded the story line to much more interesting and eerie places - my chief problem with the song, hard as it is to believe, is in the beginning when the DJ keeps using the word "babe" and then the aliens try to copy him finally but say "baby"... an oversight, or deliberate screwup?

Now, if I could go back in time there's definitely a few very important things I would like to discuss with Karen, but this song is not one of them...but going back would be the easy part compared to getting her to listen...
She's Twiggy skinny but as heartbreakingly unfortunate as it was, complex circumstances beyond our control lead her there and due to enormous pressure that was who she was. I love the green jumpsuit and Richard looks nice...very handsome with shorter hair and his piano solo is spot on!

One thing we must remember is that all of the Carpenters Television Specials feature ultra-wacky slapstick. Even bought myself a glockenspiel in honor of their marching band skit featuring Karen and John Denver.

Back
Top Bottom