Carpenters cd's vs digital downloads

Martin Medrano

Hi everybody im curious to hear from everyone here their opinion on wether cd's or digital downloads are better suited for the carpenters. For example which format has clearer sound. In my opinion i think there is an advantage to both. For instance i have a playlist of their music of 96 songs and growing. I like being able to listen to their music on the go. But i would like to listen to their music on a cd with good speakers.
Im excited to read the different opinions of this wonderful forum.

CD’s. They have the best sound quality, (Uncompressed 44.1khz/16 bit 1.5Mbps vs iTunes average 44.1/16-bit 320kbps) which is and if you want to you can make your own WAV’s/MP3’s for your iPhone or other digital devices at your own bitrates. Also, I’ve found that a lot of the more common albums like the 69-73 & 74-78 Singles albums are cheaper to buy on CD than to download. I just looked on Amazon.ca for the Singles 69-81 and they currently have that CD for $4.91 CDN whereas the same album on iTunes Canada is $11.99 CDN.

Also with CD’s, you get some collections that have not been released on iTunes, like the PBS Singles 3-disc set or the Time-Life Christmas set, or the original mix of “Christmas Portrait” which only appeared on CD in the mid-80’s and has never been reissued.

Ok in that case i would buy all their cd's and rip them into mp3 in the case that they get damaged. Now i have to track down their cd's. Any help is appreciated.

Martin, numerous people on this forum have mentioned Discogs. I myself have never purchased anything from the site, but I often peruse CDs I someday will eventually purchase. My sister has the original vinyls, but we need to fill in the blanks here and there. Maybe I can spend that tax refund instead of putting it in the bank. Hmm....

Also another thing with CD’s is that they are not region locked. So like here in Canada I cannot buy the “Live In Japan” or Palladium albums on iTunes Canada. They’re probably available on iTunes Japan and UK, but not Canada. Whereas I can import the CD and listen to the CD anywhere in the world or put it on my digital devices in WAV/MP3 and completely bypass the region blocking on the digital files.

Also, as far as I am aware, the 5.1 mixes have only appeared on the Singles 69-81 SACD and have not been released as digital downloads. Also the SACD does include a standard CD layer so you can play it in any CD player.

If you can get the Hi-Res (high resolution) digital audio files, that is the way to go. Look for resolution files that are 24/96 or 24/192.

Hi everybody im curious to hear from everyone here their opinion on wether cd's or digital downloads are better suited for the carpenters.
Depends where you download. I am a Qobuz subscriber, so everything I purchase and download is lossless, just like CD (or better, since most new releases are in higher resolution than CDs). MP3s and whatever apple sells are all lossy/compressed, so you're losing a big part of the sound quality there, but you can always convert to lossy MP3 for portable use (plenty of free utilities can do the conversion). I don't even buy CDs anymore, unless it's a rarity I can't download. Again, with most new releases being in higher resolution, CDs are not compatible, so really they aren't even on my radar anymore.

The answer you are looking for is 16/44.1 for regular CDs in comparing them to Hi-Res files at 24/96 and 24/192.
That’s not the bitrate! That’s bit depth and sampling ratio.

The bitrate is how fast the information is transferred between the storage location and the processor. So with regular CD’s it is 1.5 Mbps (and the regular CD layer on SACD’s) whereas SACD 5.1 tracks use 5.6Mbps.

That’s not the bitrate! That’s bit depth and sampling ratio.

The bitrate is how fast the information is transferred between the storage location and the processor. So with regular CD’s it is 1.5 Mbps (and the regular CD layer on SACD’s) whereas SACD 5.1 tracks use 5.6Mbps.

My bad.. you are correct about the term "bit rate." However, the OP's first comment was about sound quality, and that is what I thought he was talking about when he asked about "bit rates."

Ok i have a question i have 96 carpenters songs in mp3 format and i was wondering if i could use a 5.1 home theatre system to play them. What im asking is if the song will play through all five speakers. Im just curious because im interested in buying a sony receiver sony str dn1080.

Ok i have a question i have 96 carpenters songs in mp3 format and i was wondering if i could use a 5.1 home theatre system to play them. What im asking is if the song will play through all five speakers. Im just curious because im interested in buying a sony receiver sony str dn1080.
All 5.1/7.1 surround systems have an option to switch to stereo and just have the front 2 speakers acting as the stereo soundstage.

My bad.. you are correct about the term "bit rate." However, the OP's first comment was about sound quality, and that is what I thought he was talking about when he asked about "bit rates."
Still, versus FLAC (average bitrate around 950kbps) or other “HD” files, SACD’s would still blow “HD” files out of the water with DSD’s 24/192 or 24/176 and the 5.6Mbps bitrate. It’s like comparing an “1080p HD” video file (that usually Max’s out around 6 Mbps) vs 1080p Blu-Ray that can do upto 40 Mbps. The higher the bitrate the more information you can send.

Hit the DTS button and it should mix through all of your speakers. I’m lucky to have a center front and back speaker on my system. 11 speakers total. They don’t make a system with rear center anymore. Now it’s Dolby Atmos for ceiling speakers immersion. Experiment with the different surround sound buttons on your remote or unit to find what works best for you. Personally for my ears, I prefer the DTS Music setting.

Hi everyone i purchased the a song for you cd on Amazon yesterday and i want to know if there is a difference between this and the digital version from the google play store.

Link Sharing

Back
Top Bottom