1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Carpenters charts information*

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by adam, Jan 11, 2011.

1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

USA Charts: Christmas Portrait....upward bound....#78 today and climbing....
    Album: Carpenters Gold - 35th Anniversary Edition

iTunes:
    #23 Thailand (NE)

Album: Carpenters: Gold - Greatest Hits

iTunes:
    #36 Philippines (+8)
    #47 Vietnam (+28)
    #119 Hong Kong (+14)
    #170 Taiwan (+15)
    #185 Ireland (+3)

Apple Music:
    #57 Cayman Islands (NE)
    #66 Philippines (-21)
    #137 Hong Kong (NE)
    #142 Vietnam (-49)
    #155 Saudi Arabia (NE)
    #178 United Arab Emirates (NE)
    #183 Thailand (-40)

Album: Christmas Portrait

iTunes:
    #78 United States (+28)

2. Today Christmas Portrait

#69 +9
    Carpenters - Christmas Portrait (The Special Edition) :eek::goodie:

(US iTunes Top Albums )

goodjeans likes this.
  3. Yamaguchi

Yamaguchi Member

On Dec. 13, 2017, the Christmas Portrait album (Special Ed.) had reached No. 51 on the US iTunes album chart. Good to see this great album is still so popular.

goodjeans likes this.
  4. Yamaguchi

Yamaguchi Member

Now it's No. 48. May be that all the exposure on the PBS promotions is having a positive effect and exposing the album to a larger potential audience.

goodjeans likes this.
  5. michiganguy

michiganguy Member

The final week of Christmas music in 2017 saw "Merry Christmas, Darling" at #57 on Billboards Holiday 100, and "Christmas Portrait" #20 on Billboards Holiday Albums.

6. GaryAlan

7. GaryAlan

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  8. GaryAlan

David A, Simon KC1950 and Jeff like this.
  9. Brian

Brian Active Member

In my quest to find out whether 'Top of the World' was released as a single first in Australia or Japan, (it spent four weeks at Number One in Australia at the beginning of 1973), I found this information about Japanese sales and chart information of Carpenters' singles:-

'Yesterday Once More' released July, 1973, peaked at No. 5, sold 592,000 copies.

'I Need to Be in Love' / 'Top of the World' released July, 1976, peaked at Number 5, sold 569,050 copies.

'I Need to Be In Love', released November 1995, peaked at Number 5, sold 419,200 copies in 1996.

'Please Mr. Postman' released December, 1974, peaked at Number 11, sold 315,000 copies.

'Superstar', released October 1971, peaked at Number 7, sold 271,000 copies.

'Only Yesterday' released April 1975, peaked at Number 12, sold 236,000 copies.

'Jambalaya', released November 1973, peaked at Number 28, sold 186,000 copies.

I'm not sure which Japanese chart was used. (I know there's one called the Oricon chart).

I didn't get any closer to finding out whether Australia or Japan was first with 'Top Of The World'.

10. adam

adam Active Member Thread Starter

Hi
    Top of the world. Charted on 5th february 1972 in Australia.
    Charted 5th November 1972 in Japan peaked at no 21 and charted for 22 weeks.
    Charted again in Japan on 5th December 1973 peaked at 52 charted for 12 weeks.

Brian likes this.
  11. adam

adam Active Member Thread Starter

HI
    Sorry i ment charted 5th February 1973 in Australia

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

Thanks for the info, Sam. That settles it, then. :)

13. "The Nations Favourite Carpenters Songs" is currently at #20 in the UK on the ITunes (Apple) charts.

In an hour 3 hours of Carpenters tv will start with "Karen Carpenter: Goodbye To Love" followed by "Carpenters: Their Greatest Hits"
    Lets see if that pushes it up.

Brian likes this.
  14. Brian

Brian Active Member

Sorry....I meant Adam, not Sam.

15. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

This will be because the KC documentary aired again on UK television last night.

16. GaryAlan

17. GaryAlan

Record World Magazine
    Japan Album Charts
    December 1973 :
    Carpenters Gem #3
    Carpenters Now & Then #5

July 13, 1975
    Japan and UK Album Charts:
    Horizon #1

1974 World Disk Grand Prix Golden Prize,
    Single Of The Year: I Won't Last A Day Without You
    Artist of the Year, Group: Carpenters

November 19, 1977:
    Japan
    Passage #9

Here is something interesting for the recording business (Record World, March 27,1976):
    "...we have 20 years in which to amortize our recording costs."

18. GaryAlan

19. Yamaguchi

Yamaguchi Member

The above info from Record World way understates the Carpenters' actual extraordinary album success in Japan and UK in the 1973-75 timeframe. See Splashing Rocks: WHEN CARPENTERS WERE ON TOP OF THE WORLD -- OF MUSIC . For example, Carpenters had the #2 and #4 albums in Japan for the entire year of 1974 ("Golden Prize #2" was No. 2 for that entire year and "Now and Then" was #4; both of those albums also peaked at No. 1 in either 73 or 74 or both). As the linked article demonstrates with lots of data, Carpenters were almost certainly the best-selling pop or rock group internationally during their peak period of 1973-75, mainly because they were so superior in Japan and UK, the world's No. 2 and No. 3 record markets, respectively, while they were also near the top in the U.S., the No. 1 market.

CraigGA likes this.