Carpenters charts information*

An interesting commentary on Twenty-Two Hits of Carpenters Compilation and Gold Compilation,here:
Understanding: Japanese Album Sales – Page 15 – ChartMasters »

Regarding Twenty-Two Hits, we read:
"By the end of 1997, the album was already on 2.3 million units sold."
plus... "nearly 200,000 copies over the following seven years."

Regarding the "Gold" Compilation in Japan,we read:
"By 2016, although it was replaced by various new hits packages since, this album is clearly close to the 3 million mark"

Apparently,
New Zealand has interesting tastes in music....
Beechwood 4-5789 reached #10 and spent 12 weeks total on the chart.
Solitaire peaked at #6 and spent 11 weeks total on their chart.
Please Mr. Postman reached only#4.
There's A Kind of Hush peaked at #5 and spent a total of 17 weeks on their chart.

More:
The Official New Zealand Music Chart
The Official New Zealand Music Chart
Hi
Please mr ostman debuted on New Zealand charts on 2 february 1975 and reached no 1 on 7 march 1975 for 5 weeks and was on charts for 18 weeks.The Carpenters biggest hit in New Zealand.

Hi
while researching pop charts.On 11 may 1973.
Sing no 9 on US charts
Top of the world no 5 on Austalian charts
Sing no 8 on Hong kong charts
I wont last a day no 10 on Hong kong charts/This had peaked at no 1 on Hong kong charts on 7 april 1973.
Top of the world no 2 on New zealand charts.

I just found the old charts that I collected as a teenager. In South Australia, which is a state of Australia, on the weekly Top 40 chart for Friday 27th of January 1978 to Thursday 2nd of February 1978, "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" was Number 5 and the album, "Passage", was Number 17. The single was also Top 10 in other states, I believe, but at different times, and I'm fairly sure it was Top 5 in some. The week I mention, "Mull of Kintyre", by Wings, was the Number 1 single and "Greatest Hits Volume 2" by Olivia Newton-John was the Number 1 album.

Last edited:
In the state of South Australia, "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" was Number 5 on the weekly Top 40 charts for the week Friday 13th January 1978 to Thursday 19th January 1978 and the album, "Passage", was Number 11. The single spent at least three weeks in the Top 5. "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" spent 29 weeks, (seven months), on the Australian Top 100 and "Passage" had a ride of 18 weeks.

As of 8 pm,iTunes,--today-- this LP is at #73 !
That really is astounding--no matter what the price !
So, this goes to show that a market in the USA does exist !

Perhaps it's a Mothers' Day phenomenon, with surely many mothers getting new gadgets for the day and then downloading some things that they like. It's as good an explanation as any.

Perhaps it's a Mothers' Day phenomenon, with surely many mothers getting new gadgets for the day and then downloading some things that they like. It's as good an explanation as any.

Come on Harry! It's millions of American Millennials leaving Adele and Hip Hop and discovering what REAL MUSIC is all about!!

They say Carpenters catalog has always been active, and it is a good part of the reason we still have an extensive catalog still available. That specific album is digitally available on iTunes in a special bin. Since it was a big seller and still often recommended it makes sense that more are taking advantage of a good buy!

Craig

Seeing as I clearly remember that 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' was ALL OVER Australian airwaves at the end of 1977 and beginning of 1978, I've been investigating to find out why it only peaked at Number 13 nationally. I've been researching peak positions, state by state. (Its OK - our states and territories are BIG and we don't have many of them). Here's what I've found out so far. In South Australia, 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' spent two weeks at Number 5, from January 26th, 1978. It had at least 5 weeks in the Top 10. (I can't find charts around its peak in early-mid January). In Victoria, the single reached Number 8 on March 17th, 1978, and then spent two weeks at Number 10. In New South Wales, the song reached Number 10, but I can't find the date. That only leaves charts for Queensland, Western Australia, Tasmania, Northern Territory and ACT to find. Because of the fact that 'Calling Occupants' peaked in different states at different times, (as much as two months apart, it appears), the single remained on the national Top 100 for more than seven months. Btw, the album, 'Passage', reached at least Number 11 on the South Australian Top 40. It spent at least six weeks in the Top 20. Its peak was around mid-January.

Back
Top Bottom