Carpenters charts information*

I have seen the usual CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT SPECIAL EDITION in several Christmas music racks.

I have not seen any Carpenters Christmas CDs in the stores this year.
I haven’t seen any copies of Carpenters Christmas CDs / records in any music stores in Australia for twenty-five years or more. I only ever saw one copy of ‘An Old Fashioned Christmas’, in 1984, which I bought, and I think the last copy of ‘Christmas Portrait’ that I saw was in the early 90s - the West German copy.

ARIA Chart Report: This week’s other new arrivals,
#29 The Carpenters with Carpenters with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Note:
Olivia Newton-John with Friends For Christmas up from #13 to #10.

Source:
mediaweek.com.au/aria-chart-report-december-17-2018/
This Number 29 must be the highest placing in Australia of any Carpenters album since 1990’s ‘Their Greatest Hits’, which peaked at Number 15 at the end of 1990 / beginning of 1991 and stayed on the charts for eight months. The only albums with a longer chart life were 1972’s ‘Great Hits of the Carpenters’, released to coinciide with their Australian tour, with 40 weeks on the charts and 1973’s ‘Now and Then’, with 43 weeks.

In the years after ‘Their Greatest Hits’, the ‘If I Were a Carpenter’ tribute charted, I think, and only two years ago, Dami Im’s ‘Classic Carpenters’ tribute reached Number Three and was the 35th biggest album of 2016.

Speaking of Olivia Newton-John, her autobiography has its own mounted display in book stores here in bulk for Christmas. Her segment in her book about Karen Carpenter is quite touching, especially her closing statement - “One thing remains. I still miss my friend”.

December 24, 2018:
Billboard Japan: Carpenters with the RPO, album #29
Source:
Billboard Japan Hot Albums | Charts | Billboard JAPAN

More charts:
Sleigh Ride

Spotify:
#61 France
#63 Romania
#70 United States
#72 Canada
#76 Hungary
#76 Latvia
#79 Luxembourg
#80 Lithuania
#84 Estonia
#89 Slovakia
#94 Greece
#95 Belgium
#128 Czech Republic
#143 Worldwide
#151 Switzerland
#169 United Kingdom
#174 Ireland

Merry Christmas Darling - Album Version/Remix

Spotify:
#61 New Zealand
#89 Australia
#108 Canada
#123 Sweden
#130 Hungary
#144 Latvia
#147 Norway
#154 United States
#186 Belgium

Album: Carpenters with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

iTunes:
#32 Canada
#71 United Kingdom
#93 United States

Apple Music:
#200 Philippines

Billboard Holiday Albums (week of December 29th):
Christmas Portrait (se) , #23

So surprised that Carpenters RPO album is already off the US Billboard Top Album Sales chart (and after a disappointing debut, at that). This is such a remarkably good album; folks need to hear it.

^^There seems too little promotion in USA. I have read nothing about the album, USA, since reading
the big AP interview. There is not enough emphasis regards acquiring these "new" songs as opposed
to (say) any number of the extant compilations. I do believe Richard Carpenter has emphasized listening
to the album in its entirety--to get the full import. And, I believe he is correct.
This Carpenters with RPO album is not merely another compilation.
Unfortunately, that message may be getting lost on the general public.
As with Christmas Portrait, while it may chart each year (charting relatively well),
its charting should be far, far, higher. I did not hear many Carpenters' Christmas songs on radio this year.
A symptom, I suppose, of the culture of these days (streaming seems the choice).
There needs to be a major Carpenters' push on a major show (or, Special).
Never seen the 'Carpool Karaoke' show, but, after artist Michael Buble showed up, his material sky-rocketed.
Richard Carpenter needs to be on something of that high-a-profile !

Thrilled to see anything Carpenters charting in 2018,
but it deserves to chart much higher.

^^There seems too little promotion in USA. I have read nothing about the album, USA, since reading
the big AP interview. There is not enough emphasis regards acquiring these "new" songs as opposed
to (say) any number of the extant compilations. I do believe Richard Carpenter has emphasized listening
to the album in its entirety--to get the full import. And, I believe he is correct.
This Carpenters with RPO album is not merely another compilation.
Unfortunately, that message may be getting lost on the general public.
As with Christmas Portrait, while it may chart each year (charting relatively well),
its charting should be far, far, higher. I did not hear many Carpenters' Christmas songs on radio this year.
A symptom, I suppose, of the culture of these days (streaming seems the choice).
There needs to be a major Carpenters' push on a major show (or, Special).
Never seen the 'Carpool Karaoke' show, but, after artist Michael Buble showed up, his material sky-rocketed.

Thrilled to see anything Carpenters charting in 2018,
but it deserves to chart much higher.
There doesn't seem to be much promotion here in Canada either. Of course, here in Canada, we don't have a national chain that has picked up the album, aside from Amazon.

Well I will bet you any amount of money that Richard will never show up on Carpool Karaoke. Considering he never really considered himself a singer and these days he's REALLY not a singer. (After listening to him vocalize a little on the most recent interview show, that is.)

It's interesting Sleigh Ride has become the current Carpenters global Christmas favourite - I often see it featuring on Christmas playlists.

^^I've noticed that also this year on the over-the-air holiday radio stations I listen to. Also, a lot more of the duo's version of Home For The Holidays.

It may not have hit #1 but the fact it debuted in the Top 10 and is still Top 20 is pretty impressive when you consider the age of the Carpenters and the huge amount of competition at this time of year when there is literally dozens of compilation and box sets ect. released.

I love all things charts, and I love how successful Karen & Richard continue to be, just check out their UK album chart history:

- Ticket To Ride #20
- Close To You #23
- Carpenters #11 (Platinum)
- A Song For You #13
- Now & Then #2 (Gold)
- The Singles 1969-1973 #1 (Platinum)
(Year End: #1) (Decade End: #6)
- Horizon #1 (Gold)
- A Kind Of Hush #3 (Gold)
- Live At The Palladium #28 (Gold)
- Passage #12 (Gold)
- The Carpenters Collection (Silver)
- Singles 1974-1978 #2 (Platinum)
- Christmas Portrait #104 (in 2000)
- Made In America #12 (Silver)
- Voice Of The Heart #6 (Gold)
- Yesterday Once More #10 (Platinum)
- Lovelines #74
- Only Yesterday #1 (5x Platinum)
- Interpretations #29 (Gold)
- Karen Carpenter #174
- Love Songs #47 (Gold)
- The Best Of (Gold)
- Gold #4 (5x Platinum)
- The Ultimate Collection #53 (Gold)
- 40/40 #21 (Gold)
- Singles 1969-1981 #65 (Gold)
- The Nations Favourite #2 (Silver)
- Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra #8

anyone know if it`s possible to check, or find out what the sale numbers of this album are, either country by country, or worldwide figure/s?

I notice as well, we`ve become `well known members`, isn't it nice to be so popular :laugh:

Carpenters With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is spending it's 4th week on the UK album charts at #23. And #15 on physical sales.

Back
Top Bottom