Carpenters charts information*

The RPO album may be categorised as a classical album based on it being a collaboration with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I don’t think it is down to the orchestral elements in the Carpenters music as our favourite duo have always been classed as Pop Music act.

And as was said then, probably anything from the RPO is automatically classified as classical.
Definitely agree with your perspective on the RPO. If all other RPO collaborations have been treated the same in the Billboard Classic Album Chart. This would be why the Carpenters RPO album has been classified this way too.

Definitely agree with your perspective on the RPO. If all other RPO collaborations have been treated the same in the Billboard Classic Album Chart. This would be why the Carpenters RPO album has been classified this way too.
Upto a few weeks ago the Beach Boys RPO was also on the Classical chart.

RPO album down to 61 in the UK Sales Chart. This is a smallest drop in some time. I would really hope to see a resurgence in sales with the Vinyl release.

"Voice of the Heart" achieved Gold in the US and UK. "Old Fashioned Christmas" achieved Gold in the US. "Lovelines" did not meet the Gold threshold but did reach #73 on the UK charts. "Yesterday Once More" achieved 2X Platinum in the US and Platinum in the UK. "The Singles 69-73" was the Carpenters best selling LP going 7X Platinum in the US and Platinum in the UK and Canada. "The Best 22 Hits of the Carpenters" was the top seller in Japan achieving 12X Platinum as a limited release keeping in mind that units sold to qualify as Platinum in Japan is far less than the million necessary in the US.

Last edited:
I loved the LP's/CD's that came after Karen's passing, but "Lovelines" has a special place in my heart, every song sounds like it was supposed to be on that LP, not an "scraping the bottom of the barrel type of release". I fell in love with "If I Had You" and prefer the "Lovelines" version over the "Karen Carpenter" version. I have worn out around 4 LP's and CD's.... I've lost count, lol

"Voice of the Heart" achieved Gold in the US and UK. "Old Fashioned Christmas" achieved Gold in the US. "Lovelines" did not meet the Gold threshold but did reach #73 on the UK charts. "Yesterday Once More" achieved 2X Platinum in the US and Platinum in the UK. "The Singles 69-73" was the Carpenters best selling LP going 7X Platinum in the US and Platinum in the UK and Canada. "The Best 22 Hits of the Carpenters" was the top seller in Japan achieving 12X Platinum as a limited release keeping in mind that units sold to qualify as Platinum in Japan is far less than the million necessary in the US.
“As Time Goes By” hit #18 on the Japanese charts and was certified Gold in October 2001.

^^I searched the RIAJ database and I am unable to locate that certification of Carpenters,
As Time Goes By.

Could you post the link/reference to the certification ?
Thanks.

Last edited:
^^I searched the RIAJ database and I am unable to locate that certification of Carpenters,
As Time Goes By.

Could you post the link/reference to the certification ?
Thanks.
https://www.riaj.or.jp/riaj/open/open-record!file?fid=675

Check page 11. 5 lines below the English “One Love” on the left. My Japanese is not to good, but it looks like that is “As Time Goes By” (plus it’s got 20010801 UM at the end which is ATGB’s Japanese release date and Universal Music released the album). This is also the link that Wikipedia uses.

I would be interested in the current stats on the Gold compilation.
It charts somewhere in the world every day !
For example,
#133 USA this morning, plus charting in thirteen other countries.

^^Thanks ! I had forgotten that !
Here is more (June 2016):
"The Singles 1969-1981 has just (June 2016) been certified gold for sales in that country of 100,000 copies."
"They went quadruple platinum (and reached No. 1 again) with 1990’s Only Yesterday — Their Greatest Hits
and 2000’s Gold — Greatest Hits."
"For Carpenters fans in the UK, it seems, it’s always yesterday once more."

Source:
Carpenters Strike New Gold

Here’s an interesting thing. On the Billboard Classical Chart for the week of June 8, 2019 the RPO album has gone UP from # 13 to #8.

At 31 weeks on the chart, the RPO album drops from #16 to #23 for the week of July 20, 2019.

Classical Music: Top Classical Albums Chart
Phenomenal chart performance 50 years on. This alone merits another venture. Either RPO 2 or the 50th anny surprise I've been awaiting since 2004s As Time Goes By. I am delightfully stunned as the glory days continue to pulsate. My passionate attraction continues as ever. I may dip and wobble but the duo I can count on every listen. The Xmas Eve of 1970 was the induction of a seven year old boy into solace, appreciation and the dawn of an exquisite ear for perfection.

Back
Top Bottom