Carpenters Christmas in July

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Since it's technically still Christmas in July (at least by the Hallmark movie channel :laugh:)
Here's a rare interview at Capital Records in the UK from Dec 1978. It's so hard to believe this is almost 42 yrs old.

I remember when first getting on the internet and rarely finding anything with Karen's speaking voice.
I guess that's why I love hearing interviews like this. This interview really gives you an idea how low her speaking voice comes across.

It's cool to hear her speak about her tv appearance with Bruce Forsyth and what she's planning to sing. She also indicates how
much more of a lead role she has to take since Richard is not present.

🎅

Thanks to the Carpenters History and News Facebook Page for posting this gem.

What a treat. After all these years more goodies surface. I always guessed that the 5th special might tie in with their tenth anniversary and here she confirms it. God...she really ran with the "flu" coverup didnt she.

Great stuff.

Neil

Since it's technically still Christmas in July (at least by the Hallmark movie channel :laugh:)
Here's a rare interview at Capital Records in the UK from Dec 1978. It's so hard to believe this is almost 42 yrs old.

I remember when first getting on the internet and rarely finding anything with Karen's speaking voice.
I guess that's why I love hearing interviews like this. This interview really gives you an idea how low her speaking voice comes across.

It's cool to hear her speak about her tv appearance with Bruce Forsyth and what she's planning to sing. She also indicates how
much more of a lead role she has to take since Richard is not present.

🎅

Thanks to the Carpenters History and News Facebook Page for posting this gem.

Thanks for bringing this up, I remember posting this a couple of years ago. It's one of a few radio interviews I have from the UK 1978 trip. I'll have to see if I can dig up more gems this coming Christmas... we all definitely need some happiness this Christmas!

I know we talked about this topic before but when Karen went to Studio 1 at The Music Centre Music Recording Studios in Wembley on Dec 11 1978 to record the orchestration of Please Mr. Postman was this song a completely new backing track recorded there or was there any part of that backing track where some of the original orchestration from the 74 recording left in tact? Also how were they able to remove the Ok Chorale from the track I Need To Be In Love? Did Richard remove that back in LA prior to Karen leaving or was there a master tape already available without the OK chorale that could be used for her performance?

I was curious where this studio 1 was in 1978 where they recorded Please Mr. Postman. I found some links and a few pics (not exactly 78 but some references to 74 and 76. I'm not sure if any of this is correct, perhaps Chris May may be able to confirm. There's a good article about the history of The Music Centre Recording Studio here.

Scoring Stages: CTS Studios
It says above that "By 1972, CTS moved to the Wembley location (De Lane Lea Music) adjacent to Wembley Stadium - known as The Music Centre"

Here's an article that ran in 1971 about the new recording centre moving to Wembley.

Here's a facebook page on the studios with some old photos. There's one that shows the main entrance in 1974.
There are additional photos link at the top page as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/De-Lane...ley-174739135916027/photos/?ref=page_internal

One of the photos (dated 1976) is a write up of the 3 studios at the centre, Studio 1 being the largest (I'm assuming this is where Karen went for the recording of the Postman track?)

Thanks so much for posting this. I have always found the Christmas sessions fascinating and CP is an unparalleled masterpiece. It would be interesting to know Karen's full schedule for that London trip: I know there were two (?) radio interviews, the BF show and a personal appearance at a music store - I think Chappells, of Bond Street.

Back
Top Bottom