Carpenters Collection/Memorabilia

adamj95

I am interested in seeing what everyone here has for their collections or memorabilia. Let’s see what you got!

Here’s my site. Best viewed on computer but is mobile also. Welcome

Jonathan

Just wanted to update with my personal collection. I got 16 vinyl holders and had 16 vinyl records to fill them. I am ordering 2 more to make it even on my wall but need records to fill them. I have them in chronological order and will need 2 more records to fill them. Any suggestions on which ones I should add to my collection?

I finished my vinyl wall. I ended up going with the Singles 1974-1978 and Carpenters with the RPO.

A funny story regarding Collected—the album down on the lower-right next to the RPO album.

Richard was so ticked when he found out it had been released because Universal never sent him the reference disc so he could approve the mixes beforehand. I remember listening to it, and can't remember now what it was specifically, but I told him that they'd put original mixes where I know he would have wanted remixes etc. He asked to borrow my copy for about a week so he could listen to it (the label hadn't yet sent him his artist copies), and apparently he was not happy when he got them on the phone that afternoon.

I'll have to pull this one out again, but I know there are a few things on there that aren't right. I'll report back once my memory clears up LOL.

COLLECTED is all mixes from the Remastered Classics, right down to the revving on YOM.

A funny story regarding Collected—the album down on the lower-right next to the RPO album.

Richard was so ticked when he found out it had been released because Universal never sent him the reference disc so he could approve the mixes beforehand. I remember listening to it, and can't remember now what it was specifically, but I told him that they'd put original mixes where I know he would have wanted remixes etc. He asked to borrow my copy for about a week so he could listen to it (the label hadn't yet sent him his artist copies), and apparently he was not happy when he got them on the phone that afternoon.

I'll have to pull this one out again, but I know there are a few things on there that aren't right. I'll report back once my memory clears up LOL.
I have it in both the red and white vinyl

Jonathan

I'm shocked they would release something without Richard giving his approval on the versions of the songs chosen.

Wasn’t that an issue from 3006 when Universal’s Netherlands division issued it as the “Ultimate Collection” first and not an issue with “Collected” in 2013 (since “Collected” was just new packaging for the set, and a worldwide release not just a local release)?

Wasn’t that an issue from 3006 when Universal’s Netherlands division issued it as the “Ultimate Collection” first and not an issue with “Collected” in 2013 (since “Collected” was just new packaging for the set, and a worldwide release not just a local release)?
That's a good question. I have Ultimate Collection still in the shrink, so I'd have to look through the discography to see which mixes are which. My understanding with Collected is that they pulled the wrong masters (again), which is mind boggling, because all of the Carpenters compilations have always contained remixes throughout. No idea why Matt (Universal) never sent the ref to Richard.

ULTIMATE COLLECTION (NL -2006) was the earlier version of COLLECTED. It too contained all original LP mixes as found on the Remastered Classics - but it was quickly withdrawn. My impression was that Richard had it nixed because within months, another ULTIMATE COLLECTION came out that had replaced "Goofus" with "Sandy" and featured mostly remixes. That title came out in both Netherlands and the UK.

No-one was more surprised than me to see COLLECTED issued a few years later in the same configuration as ULTIMATE.

ULTIMATE COLLECTION (NL -2006) was the earlier version of COLLECTED. It too contained all original LP mixes as found on the Remastered Classics - but it was quickly withdrawn. My impression was that Richard had it nixed because within months, another ULTIMATE COLLECTION came out that had replaced "Goofus" with "Sandy" and featured mostly remixes. That title came out in both Netherlands and the UK.

No-one was more surprised than me to see COLLECTED issued a few years later in the same configuration as ULTIMATE.
This all makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up. Yes, when I gave the vinyl a spin a few years ago I was SHOCKED. Not that it was a bad thing, but I just knew something was "off."

It confused me until I looked at them both again. The Ultimate with black cover 2006 USM and white covered Collection is 2013 USM. Both 3 disc sets, and same tracks, and the British Ultimate Collection 2006, black cover version with only 2 discs, which has Sandy instead of Goofus. Thanks for cleaning that up Harry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom