Carpenters collection on Cassette

Sue

Hi I’ve got the chance to buy this collection but I’m not sure what to offer. It’s in good condition 12 tapes in a nice presentation box. Does anyone know approximately what the regular price is?

If it's the 12 album set issued in the UK with the white cover, check out this page:

The highest anyone has paid is around $30, and the lowest is around $25.

Reactions: Sue
Thanks Harry yes it’s U.K. edition. I can play cassettes but can’t decide whether to buy it. How do the albums sound on cassette, is it worth bothering? I just can’t decide

Thanks Harry yes it’s U.K. edition. I can play cassettes but can’t decide whether to buy it. How do the albums sound on cassette, is it worth bothering? I just can’t decide
It says that the cassettes were recorded in Dolby ‘B’. But these are probably the same 80’s masters that were used for the compact Disc collection released around the same time. Of course it would be interesting to see what they did for the Christmas albums. The CD version had the CPSE for both Christmas albums, but I’m not aware of a commercial cassette release of CPSE. But both CP & AOFC were available separately on cassette in 1990, so does the Cassette collection have the seperate albums?

It says that the cassettes were recorded in Dolby ‘B’. But these are probably the same 80’s masters that were used for the compact Disc collection released around the same time. Of course it would be interesting to see what they did for the Christmas albums. The CD version had the CPSE for both Christmas albums, but I’m not aware of a commercial cassette release of CPSE. But both CP & AOFC were available separately on cassette in 1990, so does the Cassette collection have the seperate albums?

The special edition of 'Christmas Portrait' was released separately on cassette in the UK in 1990 - I recall seeing a copy in the shops. The Cassette Collection that Sue mentions used that version rather than the original album.

Sue, the Discogs site gives the average selling price of the Cassette Collection as £20, although cassettes in general haven't proved as popular with collectors as other formats, so given how many copies of the set were made, I certainly wouldn't pay for it than that.

The reissued CD version of the set in the smaller box often sells for less than £20 on eBay these days, although the original 12" x 12" CD box tends to go for more than that. I can't imagine the cassettes would sound better than the CD set?

The special edition of 'Christmas Portrait' was released separately on cassette in the UK in 1990 - I recall seeing a copy in the shops. The Cassette Collection that Sue mentions used that version rather than the original album.

Sue, the Discogs site gives the average selling price of the Cassette Collection as £20, although cassettes in general haven't proved as popular with collectors as other formats, so given how many copies of the set were made, I certainly wouldn't pay for it than that.

The reissued CD version of the set in the smaller box often sells for less than £20 on eBay these days, although the original 12" x 12" CD box tends to go for more than that. I can't imagine the cassettes would sound better than the CD set?
Discogs also lists the UK as the only place that received a cassette release of CPSE. Otherwise, that album has been digital-only since its release. But I can’t even find a picture of it online (Discogs just uses their generic cassette jpeg; I did find photos of the TL CWTC 2 cassette album). And I remember here in Canada in the late-90’s seeing a cassette copy of CP in a new CD store, not realizing the difference, and since I already had the CC CD, I didn’t bother buying it. (Kind of makes you wonder, if the original mix of CP was still being released on cassette upto the late-90’s, early-2000’s, why wasn’t that master pulled for CC—-it might not have been ideal equalization for CD, but it would’ve been better than nothing, and it would’ve been higher quality than the compact cassette).

Back
Top Bottom