🥂 50th Carpenters COMPLETE - Box Set ideas

Plus I was just thinking, for a 50th box, wouldn’t it be nice if there was a disc where it looked at Richard’s producer role after Karen and included tracks from Veronique, Scott Grimes and Akiko.

Completely random side note, but Scott Grimes sang a song on the most recent episode of "The Orville." He sounded really good.

That true but we know they are only looking to sell a product and would that type CD be something the public is going to say...wow I want this set to get those Scott Grimes tracks or any of the other artists? The fans maybe yes but the general public I’m not so sure.

Look at the RPO CD some say it’s not breaking any sales charts like the other RPO artists CDs and that’s with Karen on it.

I really would like to hear more studios sessions. I like the studio chatter and hearing alternate vocals. ESPECIALLY alternate vocals. Something would be very satisfying about hearing Karen's voice that way.

I also would love to hear the Live Vegas album that we got the Bacharach medley for released on the boxed sets. The one where Richard had to re-record some instrumental and backup vocal parts. I know some people do not like live albums, but I am sure some of the less complicated numbers (like the medley) would sound amazing.

I know. We know for a fact that there are 2 completed tracks from at least Karen’s solo album that wouldn’t take much to release. Plus I was just thinking, for a 50th box, wouldn’t it be nice if there was a disc where it looked at Richard’s producer role after Karen and included tracks from Veronique, Scott Grimes and Akiko.

For me it would look something like this:

1. Something In Your Eyes (feat. Dusty Springfield)
2. That's What I Believe (feat. Scott Grimes)
3. Gomenasai (feat. Tatu)
4. In Love Alone (feat. Dionne Warwick)
5. How Could I Ask For More (feat. Akiko Kobayashi)
6. Show Me The Way To Your Heart (feat. Scott Grimes)
7. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (feat. Veronique Beliveau)
8. Only The Angels Know (feat. Akiko Kobayashi)
9. Chance In A Million (feat. Scott Grimes)
10. All Those Years Ago (feat. Petula Clark)

1. Love Making Love To You Karen Carpenter *
2. Something In Your Eyes (feat. Dusty Springfield)
3. That's What I Believe (feat. Scott Grimes)
4. Gomenasai (feat. Tatu)
5. In Love Alone (feat. Dionne Warwick)
6. How Could I Ask For More (feat. Akiko Kobayashi)
7. Show Me The Way To Your Heart (feat. Scott Grimes)
8. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (feat. Veronique Beliveau)
9. Only The Angels Know (feat. Akiko Kobayashi)
10. Chance In A Million (feat. Scott Grimes)
11. All Those Years Ago (feat. Petula Clark)
12. Don't Try To Win Me Back Again Karen Carpenter *

* Since these tracks are basically ready, maybe some intro/outro editing. Would make a nice bonus disc!
Feel free to elaborate.

That true but we know they are only looking to sell a product and would that type CD be something the public is going to say...wow I want this set to get those Scott Grimes tracks or any of the other artists? The fans maybe yes but the general public I’m not so sure.

Look at the RPO CD some say it’s not breaking any sales charts like the other RPO artists CDs and that’s with Karen on it.
With Scott Grimes they could try to do a tie-in with “The Orville”.

1. Love Making Love To You Karen Carpenter *
2. Something In Your Eyes (feat. Dusty Springfield)
3. That's What I Believe (feat. Scott Grimes)
4. Gomenasai (feat. Tatu)
5. In Love Alone (feat. Dionne Warwick)
6. How Could I Ask For More (feat. Akiko Kobayashi)
7. Show Me The Way To Your Heart (feat. Scott Grimes)
8. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me (feat. Veronique Beliveau)
9. Only The Angels Know (feat. Akiko Kobayashi)
10. Chance In A Million (feat. Scott Grimes)
11. All Those Years Ago (feat. Petula Clark)
12. Don't Try To Win Me Back Again Karen Carpenter *

* Since these tracks are basically ready, maybe some intro/outro editing. Would make a nice bonus disc!
Feel free to elaborate.
Now that’s a bonus CD that would make the 50th set sell better...adding 2 Karen unreleased tracks finished by Richard is a fantastic marketing push. However I would probably replace 1 of those with “Something’s Missing” as I feel that one is most complete of the unreleased tracks. I could easily see the marketing hype sticker..”contains 2 unreleased KC tracks” yup sign me up for 2 sets. :agree:

The single biggest thing that I think would stop Richard ever including Don’t Try To Win Me Back Again on any new release is the second line of the first and second verses...

The single biggest thing that I think would stop Richard ever including Don’t Try To Win Me Back Again on any new release is the second line of the first and second verses...

I NEVER got that! Whoa...
Oh my, get your dirty minds out of the gutter guys! :laugh:
-----------------------
Don't try to win me back again,
Although you know how much I wanna come (BACK)

Although you know how easily I'd come (BACK)
------------------------
The (BACK) is implied in the lyrics!

Oh my, get your dirty minds out of the gutter guys! :laugh:
-----------------------
Although you know how much I wanna come (BACK)

Although you know how easily I'd come (BACK)
------------------------
The (BACK) is implied in the lyrics!
That is how I have always taken it

That lyric is surely no different to the line in 'Now'....you're so deep....well you know the rest:)

Can I have As time goes by on LP in the box set ...oh and please Karens LP on vinyl with as originally intended sleeve treatment.
It's a pity Carpenters albums haven't had the deluxe treatment like the ABBA albums with cd and dvd. Especially Horizon.

I like seeing ideas being tossed around here.
I'd vote for studio chatter, alternative take, outtake or live recordings for the 50th.

But, I think the most we could ask for is a bonus track.
Likely something that's already out, but not widely used in circulation (e.g. And when he smiles).

It's doubtful we'll have anything "new." Maybe an RPO 2 is planned for the future.

Karen's solo outtakes are a long shot along with Scott, Akiko and Veronique.

I think there's a few unheard vocals that could have a chance:
All my life, Try and win a friend, and The moon's a harsh mistress.

If Richard changed his mind on it maybe "Thank you for the music" or a good copy of his "You'll never know."

But, the chances are slim. It'll be same old, same old compilation similar to "Carpenters Collected (2013 release)."
And these days it might even appear in the form of a playlist on iTunes or Spotify. Probably not a physical release.

Last edited:
I wonder if there may be a surprise addition to the vinyl of RPO, since its being released around the 50th? Perhaps could hopefully (I wish) explane the delays........

I hope they don't do that. That would just really irritate the CD-only fans (of which I'm one). If they do such a thing I hope they'd at least make the bonus track available as a download. I personally have no way to play a vinyl-only bonus track.

I'd feel the same way about "Please Mr. Postman" being a bonus track, but I don't like that song so I don't care about not owning it. But, it should still be available as a download or SOMEhow. At least it's on Youtube.

Hello everyone. I haven’t posted in a very long time. I love all these great ideas,hopes and dreams. So many things we all long to see, hear and own. Especially on dvd, and tv shows and performance related material. I would love the ABC Specials, The Boston Pops Show on PBS and to see the Make Your Own Kind of Music series again. You can see the first show of the series at the Museum of Broadcasting in NYC.
As to a previous question or idea. I have the only know copy of the extended opening for Calling Occupants on vinyl. It’s an acetate copy of Passage and very very scratchy sounding. It’s about 20 seconds longer than the one you all know with Andy Williams, K C and the Sunshine Band, and I think the Jacksons singing as whomever is scanning the FM dial hears until All Hit Radio. There’s an old thread on here somewhere with the correct details. Hope that clears it up. I am a huge and almost rabid Carpenters fan. Since 1971. I have a huge collection. Thank you.

^^ Welcome to the Boards! If you ever decide to share it- like on You Tube- please let us know.
I'm sure many of us would love to hear it.

^^ Welcome to the Boards! If you ever decide to share it- like on You Tube- please let us know.
I'm sure many of us would love to hear it.
I’m not sure how to get it from my turntable to YouTube. Maybe I’ll figure it out eventually.

Back
Top Bottom