Carpenters concert on the radio 50 years ago

Walkinat9

Hi all,

While looking for past Carpenters concert dates in old newspapers (I actually found this one - with photos , not in The Musical Legacy book), I came across this ad from March 1973:

img

Given that this was from a Knoxville newspaper, I'm assuming it was from a concert in that city. The last one up until March '73 would have been the concert from May 2, 1971 (according to The Musical Legacy). Would be interesting to hear this one, 'cause I'm sure it was professionally recorded for broadcast.

Has any of you heard it or perhaps even taped this concert off the radio on that date? I wonder what songs they played...

Greg

Last edited:
Hi all,

While looking for past Carpenters concert dates in old newspapers (I actually found this one - with photos , not in The Musical Legacy book), I came across this ad from March 1973:

img

Given that this was from a Knoxville newspaper, I'm assuming it was from a concert in that city. The last one up until March '73 would have been the concert from May 2, 1971 (according to The Musical Legacy). Would be interesting to hear this one, 'cause I'm sure it was professionally recorded for broadcast.

Has any of you heard it or perhaps even taped this concert off the radio on that date? I wonder what songs they played...

Greg

This concert was broadcast on radio stations across the country. We knew about it thru the Carpenters newsletter. I clearly remember sitting by our big radio on our stereo in the family room. It was a lovely memory.

Karen is gorgeous, slim and has snappy brown eyes”.

I’d concur with that! What a refreshing change from so many of the heyday reviews.

"Springsteen is gorgeous, slim, and has snappy brown eyes." :)

Agreed that it's better than most of the reviews, but yeah, why do female musicians have to be reviewed on their looks at all...
The newspaper ad is a hoot and so '70s. Thanks for sharing it.

Back
Top Bottom