1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Carpenters Concert Schedule

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Rick-An Ordinary Fool, Dec 17, 2018.

1. I'm having an "If only" moment seeing that they were booked for a week-long engagement at the Westchester Premier Theatre (NY) in August 1975. This venue was less than five miles from my house, but I wasn't a Carpenters fan at the time. Its one of those things that makes me wish I could do my life over. As the man says in It's a Wonderful Life: "Youth is wasted on all the wrong people!"

2. At the same time, I wonder if the Westchester Premier Theatre dates even came off. By late August, Karen was weeks away from being hospitalized. If they did perform, I imagine Karen wasn't looking very good.

3. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

Here's "Only Yesterday" from Valley Forge Music Fair on April 22, 1975:

4. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^Thanks, Harry.
    This is one of my favorite full performances of Only Yesterday (both verses complete).
    That has to be a difficult song to perform live.
    Also, nice to hear Richard (4:15) say this:
    "It's nice to be back out on the road....it's nice to be back performing."

5. ThaFunkyFakeTation

ThaFunkyFakeTation Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo

The way Richard arranged the end of the tune is interesting. He would use that same tag on "(Want You) Back in My Life Again)".

Ed

6. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member Thread Starter

FL
    I love this live version. Karen’s voice sounds so deep and rich. The higher vocals (I’m assuming are the guys?) kinda pale in comparison to Karen’s rich solid vocals. Even on a live version she is magical in her phrasing.

7. Harry

Harry Charter A&M Corner Member Moderator

I had posted that one a year or so ago, and then when I listened to it posting it this morning, it was really running slow. Somewhere in a transfer from tape, some machine was running slow.

Anyway, I was appalled when I listened to it and decided to re-do it and get it up to proper speed. This time I tacked on the verbal banter afterward.

8. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member Thread Starter

FL
    I thought something was diffferent, I like the banter...you know I have to ask with the cueing of the next song at the end...is there more? Ha

9. Love the verbal banter! Thanks for that!

10. I attended the October 24 1973 concert in London, Ontario with my Dad. It was the city arena (seats about 5,000) and we had floor seats about 20 rows back. It was my first live concert and a total surprise till we pulled up to parking lot. It wasn't my Dad's type of music (old country & western was) but he and Mom knew how much I would appreciate it after looking after her through a major illness the year before. I only remember floating on every note...

11. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

^^Welcome to the forum!:)

Flutterby likes this.
  12. Joeyesterday

Joeyesterday Active Member

I was at the 1971 and 1973 concerts in Nashville and my wife remembers seeing them at the University of Missouri in 1972. I did see Richard in 1998 in Nashville along with John Bettis, Joe Osborn, and James Griffin (Singing For All We Know). JG, of bread, was on of the cowriters. The 71 concert was great and the 73 (Brown Album tour) was all the hits of course. Karen's voice was perfect.
    I would like another live concert album for the 50th.

Carpe diem likes this.