Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Browsing the Columbia House "Outlet Store", I saw three Carpenters titles:

Christmas Portrait

Singles, 1969-1981

Love Songs

My guess is that based on past experience, titles in CH's Outlet Store usually are out of print, or are about to be put out of print.

-= N =-

I could understand cutting out CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT. All of the stuff is available on the CARPENTERS CHRISTMAS COLLECTION discs. And LOVE SONGS never had anything "new" on on it, so as a compilation, it's not all that important. But SINGLES 1969-1981 is the replacement for SINGLES 1969-1973, so I don't understand cutting that one out -- unless the suits at Univer$al are going to bring back 1969-1973 and dump the less-popular 1969-1981.

Perhaps Mike B will give us a heads up on the "in-print" status of these.

Harry
NP: Herb Alpert, "CD Megamix"

If they're cutting out the newer Singles, I'm going to bet that this rumored "Gold" compilation will replace it.

Univer$al's way of churning the vaults. Also betting they cut out some of the lesser Carps albums (like A Kind of Hush) fairly soon. I've just seen them do this with other labels and other artists--hack away their album catalog, and churn the vaults every couple of years w/ new compilations.

-= N =-
...univer$ally disgusted...

Rudy said:
If they're cutting out the newer Singles, I'm going to bet that this rumored "Gold" compilation will replace it.

Could be.The GOLD I have from the UK is not all that different from SINGLES anyway. GOLD is a bit more adventurous in track selection featuring a couple of non-hits like "Jambalaya" and "This Masquerade", but SINGLES 1969-1981 has those little extras twoard the end: a new piano piece to segue from "I Won't Last A Day..." to "Close To You", and a reprise of "For All We Know" from a TV show.

Of course, I believe the GOLD compilation, when it ultimately gets to these shores, will differ from the UK version. In the countries where it's been released (UK, Holland, Japan), the track selection has differed. Japan added in some tracks from AS TIME GOES BY.

Harry
NP: Herb Alpert, "Fandango" Extended Mix

Harry said:
Could be.The GOLD I have from the UK is not all that different from SINGLES anyway. GOLD is a bit more adventurous in track selection featuring a couple of non-hits like "Jambalaya" and "This Masquerade",

I would guess that if they put out a new compilation, they would have to somehow make it different from Yesterday Once More and Singles 1969-1981, just so everyone would buy it. And yes, they could include a song or two from As Time Goes By.

Harry said:
NP: Herb Alpert, "Fandango" Extended Mix

One of these days, I'll have to get together with everyone and collect all these extended versions to go ahead w/ my CD project. I have all but a couple, since I used to buy most of them as they came out.

-= N =-

Harry wrote:

I could understand cutting out CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT. All of the stuff is available on the CARPENTERS CHRISTMAS COLLECTION discs. And LOVE SONGS never had anything "new" on on it, so as a compilation, it's not all that important. But SINGLES 1969-1981 is the replacement for SINGLES 1969-1973, so I don't understand cutting that one out -- unless the suits at Univer$al are going to bring back 1969-1973 and dump the less-popular 1969-1981.

Perhaps Mike B will give us a heads up on the "in-print" status of these.

Good timing! I just loaded a brand-new catalog update. The following import compilations are listed: (Note: these lists only contain "hits" comps, so that's why AS TIME GOES BY isn't listed.)

ANTHOLOGY (Japanese - 4 CDs)
EVERGREEN (Japanese)
GOLD COLLECTION (no country listed, but going by the label listing I believe it's the Japan version)
REFLECTIONS (Australian)
SWEET SWEET SMILE (no country listed) - I never noticed this one before - Harry, are you familiar with it?

All of these have what's called a "last return date," which means the product is not returnable. With import product, the 'last return date' is usually actually the date the warehouse received copies of the item. It also means a store stocking them can't return them, but they CAN still order new copies. That's no guarantee that copies will be available though.

Here's a list of what's shown for domestic compilations. All of these are listed as in print, with no cut-out date.

FROM THE TOP (box set)
INTERPRETATIONS
SINGLES '69-'81
YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (2 CDs) - my personal favorite comp other than my homemade one
LOVE SONGS

Interestingly, both CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT and CHRISTMAS COLLECTION are gone from the listings, but they might return with the holidays.

My catalog is updated weekly, so it's usually pretty accurate on release dates, cutout status, etc. I'm always happy to help with any information, so don't hesitate to post questions.

ANTHOLOGY (Japanese - 4 CDs)
EVERGREEN (Japanese)
GOLD COLLECTION (no country listed, but going by the label listing I believe it's the Japan version)
REFLECTIONS (Australian)
SWEET SWEET SMILE (no country listed) - I never noticed this one before - Harry, are you familiar with it?

EVERGREEN was, I believe, never issued as such. It was forever listed as coming, and somehow ended up splitting into two different-titled releases, BY REQUEST and AS TIME GOES BY. I imagine that if one were to order EVERGREEN, they'd either get BY REQUEST or an "out-of-print" notice. Kind of like Herb's MI HISTORIA -- it still shows on some lists.

The GOLD I have comes from the UK. I know there was one in Japan and the Netherlands, with slightly differing track lists.

SWEET SWEET SMILE is a 2000 Netherlands release and is identical to an older compilation called REFLECTIONS. SWEET SWEET SMILE, as I understand it, eliminated the liner notes.

Harry
...and we thought there were too many HERB compilations!, online...

For fun, I verified stock on ANTHOLOGY, EVERGREEN and LOVE SONGS. As suspected, they all came back "in stock" except EVERGREEN.

Like I said, file your EVERGREEN disc right after Herb's MI HISTORIA. File them both under "F" for figment of imagination.

Thanks for checking that, Mike.

Harry
NP: radio at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom