Carpenters Disco Medley (1987)

tomswift2002

I was wondering if anyone had heard of this promotional 12” LP from Brazil before. I can’t make out which songs are in the medley, but it seems to be an official A&M/Polydor release from 1987. I’ve ordered it as I thought it sounded interesting.

I can’t make out which songs are in the medley, but it seems to be an official A&M/Polydor release from 1987.

Photos 3 and 4 on the item show the tracklist of both sides. It says in Portuguese at the bottom “All tracks taken from the double album “A Arte De Carpenters”. That compilation features You’re Enough, which I think had never been anthologised anywhere else - until now as we can see from the below :)

D_NQ_NP_761867-MLB44050180363_112020-O.jpg

D_NQ_NP_746746-MLB44050160813_112020-O.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone had heard of this promotional 12” LP from Brazil before. I can’t make out which songs are in the medley, but it seems to be an official A&M/Polydor release from 1987. I’ve ordered it as I thought it sounded interesting.

I would love to hear it.

Translations, for those who don't speak/understand Portuguese.

Photo 2:
SIDE 1 [LADO 1] - Carpenters Memix (supposed to be "Remix"?)
(They Long to Be) Close To You (etc....)

SIDE 2 [LADO 2] - Carpenters Memedley (supposed to be "Medley"?)
You're Enough (etc...)

All of the tracks are extracted from the double album A ARTE DE CARPENTERS (The Art of the Carpenters) [Todas as faixas extraídas do álbum duplo A ARTE DE CARPENTERS]

This disc is dedicated to KAREN CARPENTER [Este disco é dedicado a KAREN CARPENTER]

Produced, mixed, and edited by a D.J. [Produzido, mixado e editado por um D.J.]

PolyGram Records [PolyGram Discos]

Photos 3 and 4 are mostly understandable by context, but I wanted to point out that the labels read: "Promotional Disc Mix" (Disco Promocional Mix) and "Not For Resale" (Invendável) on the top.

Another reason to go to Brazil one day!

I’ve got this one. It’s a medley of various Carpenters hits and album tracks set to an added dance rhythm track. There are actually two medleys. I remember one of them starts with ‘You’re Enough’, which is pretty cool. The overall sound quality is rather lacking, though, and kind of muffled. t’s definitely not a Richard C. production.

On a side note, a friend of mine attended a big dance party on the beach in Miami around 2001 or thereabouts. As the party was ending and the sun was coming up, they played the medley that starts with ‘Close To You’. He said the crowd loved it.

Last edited:
This is a weird note, but that seller on Mercado Livre ("Free Market" in Portuguese) wrote "cheiro de novo," which literally means "smells new." I'm taking that to mean it seems new, or it looks new... but "cheiro" means smell/scent/odor.

This is a weird note, but that seller on Mercado Livre ("Free Market" in Portuguese) wrote "cheiro de novo," which literally means "smells new." I'm taking that to mean it seems new, or it looks new... but "cheiro" means smell/scent/odor.

I’ve listed items on eBay that are like new and described as that as well. It just adds to the description that the item is, in fact, still like new.

I’ve listed items on eBay that are like new and described as that as well. It just adds to the description that the item is, in fact, still like new.
You write in English “new smell” or “smells like new”?

Well I didn’t order mine from Mercado. I ordered mine off eBay, but I couldn’t find a link to post to that that didn’t include my info. So I posted that Mercado link as the only other one I could find.

But years ago someone gave me a CD with a version of “Only Yesterday” that had been discoized for a dance club. That was pretty good. But this is the sort of singles I’m surprised A&M didn’t force Richard to make in the late 70’s as 12-inch singles. Extended club remixes.

Yes - a used book can still have that “new” smell if it hasn’t been opened a lot. Here’s one of my recent eBay ads for just such an item :)

Interesting! I’ve heard “smells brand new” in real life, but I rarely see items described that way on the internet, especially pre-owned items.

So I got the LP today. There’s no disco beat to the medley, it’s just two medley’s of the Carpenters hits. The disc promotes the ‘A Arte De Carpenters’ disc.

Some interesting notes:

“Make Believe Its Your First Time” has a different drum track that kicks after the first verse, that really sounds a lot better than what was on the VOTH mix. (Around 2:55) I haven’t heard ‘A Arte’, so I don’t know if the track was remixed with that drum. Also, Richard’s backing vocal was really brought up and the choir had a phasing effect applied to them, so all you really heard was Richard backing Karen. It also sounds like “We’ve Only Just Begun” has received some added drums, as just before Richard’s ‘We’ve only just begunnnnn’ line there is a different sounding drum and a clearer, best way to describe it is tinnier cymbal hit than I’ve ever heard before.

-“Please Mr. Postman”, for a second I thought the needle was stuck as the first “Stop” was repeated 10 times, as though a DJ was scratching just that one word. Also Postman features the phasing effect for a little bit in the middle of the song (it’s also edited like ‘You’re Enough’).

-“You’re Enough” was edited, and a few other tracks were edited by removing the middle section, but it was done wonderfully!

-Side one (‘Carpenters Memix’) has a redone version of the Singles 69-73 opening with a different fade from CTY to WOJB.

-The first 2 or 3 beats of “Only Yesterday” occur before ‘Sing’, and then OY follows ‘Sing’ by picking up on the last opening drum beat.

-the back says in Portugese that the disc is dedicated to Karen Carpenter. Then it also says in Portugese: Produzido, mikado e editado por um D. J.

Side 1 is as follows:

CARPENTERS MEMIX
(They Long To Be) Close To You
We’ve Only Just Begun
(Only Yesterday opening -not listed on cover)
Sing
Only Yesterday
There’s A Kind of Hush
Please Mr. Postman

CARPENTERS MEMEDLEY

You’re Enough
I Need To Be In Love
Make Believe It’s Your First Time
Yesterday Once More
Superstar
Bless The Beasts and Children

I found the “MEMEDLEY” on YouTube.

Whoever posted it either had their surround system set to Concert Hall or Rock Concert or one of those settings that adds reverb, since there is nowhere near that amount on the record.

Has anybody else ever noticed that “You’re Enough” has the almost the same opening piano structure as “Close To You”? It’s just missing an extra beat between the beats, otherwise it would be same shuffle.

Well I didn’t order mine from Mercado. I ordered mine off eBay, but I couldn’t find a link to post to that that didn’t include my info. So I posted that Mercado link as the only other one I could find.

But years ago someone gave me a CD with a version of “Only Yesterday” that had been discoized for a dance club. That was pretty good. But this is the sort of singles I’m surprised A&M didn’t force Richard to make in the late 70’s as 12-inch singles. Extended club remixes.
I absolutely agree.

Back
Top Bottom