Carpenters EP's

countrycollectionasm-jpg.4496

countrycollectionbsm-jpg.4497

It’s not super rare. I see them on EBay every few months. They released it because of all the excitement of being on the country charts with Sweet Sweet Smile. They even considered doing a whole country album, which never materialized because of personal problems we all know too well.
It would have great I bet. Maybe a whole new era of hits for them. They use steel guitar so often in their songs anyway. I bet it would have been awesome. Instead we got Christmas Portrait! 👍

I must be the only one who can’t stand their country material. It almost always came off sounding contrived to my ears, especially when they went all out with the more commercial tracks like Sweet, Sweet Smile. Give me the more subtle, nuanced lilt of Two Sides or When It’s Gone any day.

I have never seen a copy of the Country Collection (EP, SP-17014) listed for sale on ebay or anywhere else.
I have been searching for 30 years. I consider it to be extremely scarce.
The reason for no country album was because "the plan never made it past Jerry Moss,
who reminded them that a hit pop-album was their priority." (page 174, Little Girl Blue).

I must be the only one who can’t stand their country material. It almost always came off sounding contrived to my ears, especially when they went all out with the more commercial tracks like Sweet, Sweet Smile. Give me the more subtle, nuanced lilt of Two Sides or When It’s Gone any day.

What about Reason To Believe? Kind of has a "country" bent to it. I know you really like the "yeeeeeeehaw!" newvillefan!:laugh:

I'm not a big fan of Sweet, Sweet Smile either. The only time I ever really listen to it is when I'm watching the 2 videos that the duo did for "Top of The Pops" and "Starparade". Karen is mesmerizing in those performances :love:

Their only country tinged recording I'm not super fond of is Jambalaya.
I love RTB, SSS, and of course, the more ballad type songs in this genre are great. Desperado is just a killer recording.

These are the EP's I have:
- Close To You (Australia; X 11749) with Close to you, All I can do / Ticket to ride, Don't be afraid
- Hurting Each Other (Mexico; EPAM-012) with Hurting each other, One love / (A place to) Hideaway, Saturday
- 4 Sucessos (Brazil; S7 AMD 10029) with Please Mr. Postman, Sing / Bless the beasts and children, Top of the world
I have cover images but I couldn't figure out how to post them.

These are the EP's I have:
- Close To You (Australia; X 11749) with Close to you, All I can do / Ticket to ride, Don't be afraid
- Hurting Each Other (Mexico; EPAM-012) with Hurting each other, One love / (A place to) Hideaway, Saturday
- 4 Sucessos (Brazil; S7 AMD 10029) with Please Mr. Postman, Sing / Bless the beasts and children, Top of the world
I have cover images but I couldn't figure out how to post them.

I also have the 4 Sucessos and Close to You EPs (but mine it's the New Zealand release with a different cover but same tracks!)
I don't have the Hurting Each Other, but it's one that's been on my Shopping List for a while...

Here's the NZ cover of Close To You:
R-3712716-1492152488-1285.jpeg.jpg

Those pictures are taken from their tour program photo shoot. Just cropped to fit the covers. The photographer even brought his 2 bull terriers along for one photo in the book. I had always though they were the Carpenters dogs. I asked Richard about them on the Carpenters website years ago, and he said they belonged to the photographer. I asked since there was never any mention of them in the Colmen or Schmidt books. They’re such unique and fun dogs, and wondered why since they were in a beautiful picture inside the souvenir program.

I'll probably never own a copy, but it's been added to my shopping list! :laugh:

A late friend of mine from Florida had a copy of the ‘Country Collection’ EP. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen anywhere. He showed it to me during a visit in ‘87.

Japan has given some beautiful releases, unlike any other countries... EPs being no exception! The most luxurious looking ones are the Super Compact 800 "Best Hits" Series (Only 5 EPs were released as far as I'm aware) and they have a lovely gold lettering and design... But I also like the Love Sounds "Oh Series" gatefold ones of Superstar, Sing and Top of the World.

R-6034499-1441870154-4389.jpeg.jpg

R-6351836-1441870143-1041.jpeg.jpg

R-7488487-1585415202-4947.jpeg.jpg

I just purchased "Sing" and on the lookout for "Top Of The World". The Japanese EPs are so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom