Carpenters Exhibit feature coming in LA TIMES

Status
Not open for further replies.

close2u

Randy Schmidt
Just FYI:

The Carpenters Exhibit (housed in the Carpenter Performing Arts Center, CSULB) will be featured in a story running November 3 in the Los Angeles Times Magazine.

You can read the story when it comes out at
http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/

The reporter, Al Ridenour, has done a lot of research on the exhibit and it should make for an interesting story.

Randy

Will look out for this feature , when I visited Exhibit January 2002 I was impressed by the contents , the rare items from Trio , Spectrum and Carpenters years , Richard's pencil amendments to original Carpenters classics arrangements etc :)

Hopefully more items will be added as there are thousands still awaiting exhibit that should be shown for Fans , without being auctioned on e-bay to be lost in dusty personal archives :sad:

Also the Exhibit is only open once a month , unless with prior agreement Center Staff arrange a special viewing , more opening times need to be arranged.

Probably the best time to view the Exhibit is when an evening concert is taking place at the Center : great atmosphere , beautiful building enhance the viewing :cool:

Peter

I did a website photo album in June for the a 30th anniversary Poseidon Adventure movie screening aboard the Queen Mary. Flew cross-country over a busy weekend to attend this because the movie was such a favorite as a small boy. While in Long Beach, I also heard about and had the chance to visit the Richard and Karen Carpenter Performing Arts Center.

SEE: http://homepage.mac.com/pettyproductions

Flew non-stop from Tampa to LA on Friday evening after work and drove south to Long Beach on Saturday. Visited the Richard and Karen Carpenter Performing Arts Center first. Since NO ONE was there, I just press my nose up to the windows and tried to peek in and see the stuff. Someone noticed me doing this and opened the lobby door. After telling them I was visiting from Tampa to see this, I was then given a private tour by a man who seemed to be the janitor of the place! With the press of a button, a video presentation appeared and Karen Carpenter’s voice boomed out of nowhere. Very nice sound system. She sounded as if she was there in the flesh! Cool objects on display. A nice video presentation to boot. Some objects are shown on my photo album site above. Was very good to be able to finally see that place.

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to see Karen and Richard perform live, I have LOVED and followed their careers and music since I was about 10 years old in 1973 with the fun singles, Please Mr. Postman and Sing. I have collected LOTS of Carpenters stuff over the years, including all their US albums in LP, CD, cassette, and even 8-track! (Yes, while in high school in 1979-81, I had an 8-track player in my cool metallic brown Chevy Camaro and would blast the Carpenter’s music when it was very unhip to do this!!) I was a fan club member for years and have posters, videos, magazines, articles, and more. Have made friends all over the country who share our passion for their GREAT music. Even visited a long-time pen pal in Milwaukee a few years back, just to check out his impressive collection of Carpenter stuff. He saw them in concert many times and has great original photos from the front row and backstage!

It’s really Karen's wonderfully distinctive voice and those brilliant overdubbed harmonies which I find most appealing.

My current favorite Carpenter songs playing in my car now are two unheard of gems from the European CD release I got on Amazon.com..... they are: Leave Yesterday Behind and The Rainbow Connection. I have always loved the later Muppet Movie song and it was a true joy to discover Karen had recorded this years before she died. Like other songs, this test studio vocal from Karen just sat around collecting dust on a master tape in Richard’s possession until he got around to finishing it up with background music. I really hope he releases ALL of her recorded music someday soon. I have been told many other songs exists. For this, I eagerly wait!

My favorite Carpenter album is Song for You. I also really LOVE that title track!! Other classic favorites of mine include: Superstar, It’s Gonna Take Some Time, Only Yesterday, Sweet Sweet Smile, We’ve Only Just Begun, Merry Christmas Darling, Little Alter Boy, He Came Here For Me, I Need to Be in Love, Ticket to Ride, Baby It’s You, the list goes on and on! I never grow tired of her beautiful voice and his timeless arrangements.

Other singers and groups that I also enjoy are: Patsy Cline, Barbra Streisand, Sandi Patty, The Corrs, October Project, Enya, Olivia Newton-John, Jennifer Warnes, Steve Green, Larnell Harris, Jimmy Rogers, Amy Grant, Elton John, Roxette, Mamas and the Papas, Nancy Wilson (the classic 60’s black singer; NOT the one of the group, Heart), and Dionne Warwick singing those perfect classic 1960’s songs of Burt Bachrach and Hal David. There are many others I’m forgetting at the moment.

By the way, as I write this, our local E-Z listening radio station in playing the Carpenters singing A Kind of Hush here in my office!! How cool is that?!

:)

Michael said:
Other singers and groups that I also enjoy are: Patsy Cline, Barbra Streisand, Sandi Patty, The Corrs

The Corrs! Yes, I do believe I've heard of them!

Harry
...Corrs fan, extraordinaire, online...

Hi All ,

Back on line at last. Obtained LA Times in London with feature in the Magazine.

This was a well researched short length feature with emphais on Carpenters music and legacy :)

Interesting to read that CPAC needed to reassure Richard about their intentions and the demand by Fans and Visitors for Carpenters Exhibit.

CPAC need to extend opening days / times , although as Michael stated either the Center staff / Janitor will allow access to Exhibit if you ask / plead your case / travel circumstances :)

Look forward to larger and more complete Exhibit over the next few years.

Peter...looking forward to next CPAC visit.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom