Carpenters featured in new series (ABC) Big Sky teaser.

at the moment the phenomenon that seems to be having the biggest impact on "expanding their legacy" and "raising the Carpenter's profile" seems to be the ever-expanding number of so-called "reaction videos" on YouTube...

I can’t begin to describe how much those largely fake, self-obsessive “reaction” videos annoy me. Every time one pops up unsolicited in my recommendations page, I immediately remove all future notifications from that user.

JohnFB, I just stumbled onto the fact that, according to forum statistics, you are having a birthday today.

Have a good one!

:cheers:

I’ve only watched one of them ever because I agree they are like most things on social media today - just another platform for self-absorption/obsessiveness, and getting across a completely phony self-image.
I can’t begin to describe how much those largely fake, self-obsessive “reaction” videos annoy me. Every time one pops up unsolicited in my recommendations page, I immediately remove all future notifications from that user.

I can’t begin to describe how much those largely fake, self-obsessive “reaction” videos annoy me.
I said this in my post above: "...but the reactions are almost 100% positive and enthusiastic, with many that could be classified as "adoring" or "loving" - while many of these reactors are mere copycat opportunists out to grab a little fame and fortune quickly, several of these people are sincere and knowledgeable and have a fairly sizable following..."

I agree with your overall, general assessment - but there are a few that are real, and authentic or genuine and pretty much as I described them above...it might not be advisable to dismiss these rare good ones because of the phony, self-serving, uninformed nature of the vast majority - the fact remains that they are - whatever the motivation of the reactors - very positive reviews that are viewed and commented on by an ever-increasing following, and it can only bode well for the encouragement of future listening/purchasing of Carpenter's music - who the hell knows - the whole damn, crazy thing could snowball into something really exciting with a highly desirable end result. After all, whatever the vehicle used to make it happen their music is getting out there and seen and heard - given that, it is so good it will "sell" itself.

I am a rather young carpenters fan at 20 years old and i can say that i did not know about them until i was 18. Once i discovered their music i wanted to know more about them hence me joining the forum. I have come to appreciate many of their songs over the time that i have been a fan. One of my favorites has to be superstar as it is what i first heard and what ultimately started my journey through their music. I can honestly say i like druscilla penny i find that i like the harmonies in this song alot. One song that i have grown to love is happy due to the drumming. Was karen drumming on this one?

Was karen drumming on this one?

That's correct — it was Karen, as she was also the one that suggested the 'push' beat on the kick drum. That has long been rumored as a glitch in the vinyl (for those listening to the song straight off the record), but it was the attack itself that created the effect.

I said this in my post above: "...but the reactions are almost 100% positive and enthusiastic, with many that could be classified as "adoring" or "loving" - while many of these reactors are mere copycat opportunists out to grab a little fame and fortune quickly, several of these people are sincere and knowledgeable and have a fairly sizable following..."

I agree with your overall, general assessment - but there are a few that are real, and authentic or genuine and pretty much as I described them above...it might not be advisable to dismiss these rare good ones because of the phony, self-serving, uninformed nature of the vast majority - the fact remains that they are - whatever the motivation of the reactors - very positive reviews that are viewed and commented on by an ever-increasing following, and it can only bode well for the encouragement of future listening/purchasing of Carpenter's music - who the hell knows - the whole damn, crazy thing could snowball into something really exciting with a highly desirable end result. After all, whatever the vehicle used to make it happen their music is getting out there and seen and heard - given that, it is so good it will "sell" itself.
When they were hyping this show a few months ago, they were using the TOTW for background music. They are once again hyping it bigtime this week without the Carpenters. I have now swept the "Latest Posts" of this forum (a first :))

That's correct — it was Karen, as she was also the one that suggested the 'push' beat on the kick drum. That has long been rumored as a glitch in the vinyl (for those listening to the song straight off the record), but it was the attack itself that created the effect.
push beat' on the kick drum

How does that go im trying to see if i can notice it. Is it a double hit on the bass drum. I'll try to see if i cqn hear it through audacity.

push beat' on the kick drum

How does that go im trying to see if i can notice it. Is it a double hit on the bass drum. I'll try to see if i cqn hear it through audacity.

"Your family's probably given up on you since you began to follow groups of long haired rock and rollers ... [BOP] ... I can hear your mother ... [BOP] ... crying for her daughter."

"Your family's probably given up on you since you began to follow groups of long haired rock and rollers ... [BOP] ... I can hear your mother ... [BOP] ... crying for her daughter."
Ah ok now i get it. I really like that part of the song. Druscilla penny.

Here's an example of a typical reaction video from the guy I mentioned before - Jamel_aka_Jamal - I've only ever seen sincere, loving admiration from him, and never anything phony - and he knows and likes a lot of "Old School Music" as he calls it...I like the way he dances along with the song and how he gets emotional at several points...like the rest of us.

Merry Christmas, Darling (Live) - Reaction Video

Here's an example of a typical reaction video from the guy I mentioned before - Jamel_aka_Jamal - I've only ever seen sincere, loving admiration from him, and never anything phony - and he knows and likes a lot of "Old School Music" as he calls it...I like the way he dances along with the song and how he gets emotional at several points...like the rest of us.

Merry Christmas, Darling (Live) - Reaction Video

There's a thread here for these, if you hadn't seen it you may enjoy reading that:

I'm not quite so jaded and cynical about these reaction videos, as some here seem to be. While some are over the top, I'm convinced many of them are genuine reactions.

There's a thread here for these, if you hadn't seen it you may enjoy reading that:

I'm not quite so jaded and cynical about these reaction videos, as some here seem to be. While some are over the top, I'm convinced many of them are genuine reactions.
Agree with you David. I think if it was all an act and not genuine they would probably get more interest to their website by being negative about the duo. You know; going off on them about how much they "suck" and "you've got to be kidding!" for example. Overall, any positive mention of the Carpenters genuine or not, could bring someone to their music that is blown-away by it and becomes a lifelong fan.

Agree with you David. I think if it was all an act and not genuine they would probably get more interest to their website by being negative about the duo. You know; going off on them about how much they "suck" and "you've got to be kidding!" for example. Overall, any positive mention of the Carpenters genuine or not, could bring someone to their music that is blown-away by it and becomes a lifelong fan.

Yes, and if it was all about getting "views and subscribers", they'd be much better off reacting to more current, bigger name artists, as well.

Which song are you referring too? I don't recall Happy having any kick drum "glitch" sound on vinyl! Are you referring to Druscillla Penny?

Which song are you referring too? I don't recall Happy having any kick drum "glitch" sound on vinyl! Are you referring to Druscillla Penny?

That's the one!

And it wasn't a glitch per se, it just became urban legend that the sound was actually poor pressing of the vinyl LOL

Back
Top Bottom