Carpenters First Television Special

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Back in 1976, I recorded the Carpenters First Television Special from TV on my reel-to-reel recorder. But the remarkable thing about it is that I was able to record it from my FM tuner, since our ABC affiliate broadcast on Channel 6 - whose audio was broadcast on 88.75 mHz, down at the left end of the FM band. This resulted in a nice, relatively noise-free audio recording. Yesterday, I unearthed the old audio reel, and found it an interesting listen.

So for whatever use you might find, here is the audio-only presentation of the Carpenters First Television Special.

I may have Space Encounters and Music, Music, Music, but I haven't unearthed them yet. And those have pretty good representation with better quality YouTubes and actual releases by Richard on CD.

Its a good quality rip. Ive got audios of Olivias specials split into tracks so i may do that to Carpenters (dialpgue and all).

Harry,

Thank You for providing this recording. My fuzzy memory was cleared up upon listening to the beginning
of the special and setting straight some of Richards and Karens dialog!

This is really cool, Harry! Thanks for sharing. I still have my original cassette (audio only) from the night this aired, but it didn't sound nearly as good as your version. I actually began recording their specials (amongst other shows) with my Dad's portable radio that had a 'TV' band separate from the traditional radio dial. So, I was able to do the same 'off the air' onto cassette. Much to my great horror, my Realistic tape recorder decided to conk out during the last 15 minutes of 'Music, Music, Music' and the 'Medley' was completely lost! Little did I know what would be in our future technology-wise to save the day.

This is awesome!!!
So would this be essentially a mono audio recording? It sounds so good!!

I second that…would love to hear the other specials if you have any especially MMM.

In a way I envy those that have never seen the video and if you listen to just the audio you have to use your mind and imagine how the scenes are panning out ha ha

Last edited:
Awww. I was 5 years old, already a super fan, and was at a sleepover party. The parents had this on and I happened to notice and stood there frozen in my tracks watching them do Top of the World. Oh man, this is fantastic. Thank you.

This is a fantastic share, Harry! You did an excellent job. Cool to hear something so clear that many of us have heard in such bad quality for years.

Also good to hear so many were recording those specials with their tape recorders back in the day. Same here. Used to get upset when my family would talk or make noise. All of my Carpenters TV special cassettes have me yelling "Will you be quiet?!" at some point.

Back
Top Bottom