CARPENTERS FUTURE VIDEOS RELEASES......WANTED

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ

Apart from ABC Specials , BBC Specials and other full length recordings that could and should be released on Video / DVD over the next few years , which other short clips / songs would Members like to have released .....
ideally on a new Carpenters release in 2003 ..... :o

Amongst mine would be :

Close To You , Love Is Surrender , A Kind Of Hush -all A&M official Videos / Film Promos due a full release.

My favourite Carpenters Film : "I Need To Be In Love " ( a mini -Film ) -wonder how much outtake footage there is available ?? :D

Karen's 1978 UK Bruce Forsyth performances ....humour , quality , great vocals all with Richard ill in LA....has KAREN EVER PERFORMED A MORE EMOTIONAL VERSION OF "I NEED ....." :cry:

1971 TV Series outtakes ....Bacharach and David etc ....great KC / RC performances....... :)

plus a curiousity...the 1978 Christmas outake of "Play A Simple Melody " with Carpenters , Family and Gene Kelly on vocals ....this is a great Irving Berlin song ....fascinated by Richard's arrangement / production plus the sound of all these vocals :o

Any other particualar favourites that should be released......

Peter.... ideally Video compiler.....

Those are some great ones, Peter. I'd especially love to see a video release of Karen's performances on the Bruce Forsyth Show, too. She did an outstanding job on that show. I agree that her performance of "I Need To Be In Love" was incredible. Her vocal of "Merry Christmas Darling" on that show was amazing too. So beautiful.

An appearance that has long been on my wish list for an official video release would be the Carpenters on "The Tonight Show" in 1978. To have that appearance on DVD would be a fantasy wish come true. Karen was never more gorgeous or charismatic. They performed "Thank You For the Music" and a medley, but my favorite part is the chat with host John Davidson. Karen is so beautiful, charming and funny. It's so great when she sings a bit of "Sing" in Japanese and jokes around with Elke Sommer.

I realize it's a long shot, but I do hope that some of these appearances could see wide releases some day. So many people who've only heard the music and for whatever reason did not get to see these broadcasts, don't know what a warm and funny personality Karen had, which grew richer as the years went by.

As far as I know,the "Tonight Show" material will probably never see the light of day. I believe this period was when Johnny Carson took control of the show and he retains all rights,including shows he does not host. Even after ten years out of TV,there are only five one-hour tapes available for sale(through Disney's Buena Vista)and they include the Bette Midler "last show". About 100 half-hour shows featuring primarily sketches(always a weak part of the show,though Carson seems to love this stuff)was syndicated some years ago but met with mixed results. Mac

You can actually buy any episode of the Tonight Show in Johnny Carson's archives -- go to www.johnnycarson.com and do a guest search (in this case, "Carpenters"). The website will show you all the dates the Carpenters appeared on the Tonight Show.

Then go to "Shopping" and select "Buy a Show." You can request the specific show date, and someone will go to the tape archive and determine if that episode is available.

The catch is that these tapes will cost you $99 each... But apparently most of Johnny Carson's shows after about 1972 are available, along with quite a few of the shows from before 1972.

So the fan who really, really wants these appearances on videotape CAN get them!

WOW! Thanks for the info. I could spend about $10,000 right now. You know ,I don't think there are necessarily specific shows I would need to see,just where Johnny was just being Johnny,behind the desk and getting the most out of a guest. A monologue,(no matter how dated,and one where he might be bombing)maybe a "Stump the Band" segment with Doc letting the band get the jokes for a change,an Ed MacMahon Alpo commercial('cause I lived in suburban Philly when Ed did and now I live in Allentown,original home of Alpo)and someone that Johhny had never talked to before and something unexpected could come out. Mac

I would also like to see "I Need to Be In Love" released on video/DVD. Along with the films for "Jambalaya" and "This Maquerade".

I know there are some DVD's out there in "Video DVD" format (whatever that is). I think there are two of them....and they are cheap...$11.98 or so. And it includes both a "live" and original "video" of "I Need to be In Love." My mind is a blank right now, but as soon as I get a DVD player that plays "Video DVD's" I am going to order them. Many of the "clips" are just them singing live with the actual studio recordings dubbed over them resulting in a bad "lip sync-ing" by Karen. All the while the words scroll along the bottom of the screen. Maybe they are meant for karaeoke purposes (but then why would they have the vocal tracks?). Reminds me of those music videos you see in bars playing on the monitors while you are drinking beer and waiting for Monday Night Football to start. The quality isn't that great, but there are performances I have never seen before. Does anyone else know what I am talking about here?

Hi there.

I think you're talking about VCD's -- Video CD's. They're the predecessor to the DVD, using the CD format to store video information. Some DVD players will play VCD's; it's a format that became pretty popular in Asia a couple of years ago.

ONLY YESTERDAY: RICHARD AND KAREN CARPENTER'S GREATEST HITS and A VIDEO BIOGRAPHY (KARAOKE) were both released in Asia in the VCD format. The VIDEO BIOGRAPHY is the video with the alternate video clips, many from live performances. It's got the "I Need to Be In Love" video with the original live audio.

A VIDEO BIOGRAPHY was also released on DVD (region 0, meaning it will play in all regions). It's pretty awful, both in picture quality and in the fact that you can't remove the karaoke subtitles. It also has the karaoke audio in the left channel and the original Carpenters' audio in the right channel -- and the karaoke audio isn't the original music track, but a cheesy reproduction on mostly synthesized instruments.

David

Thanks, David! I couldn't remember the name of them! Although the quality is as bad as you say, I think I will still order them for my collection.

Thanks for the info!!

I was surprised that Video Bios 1 & 2 were releasaed and continue to be available in such a key market :o

Richard should certainly release a new Video / DVD Special in 2003 with improved Audio & Film performances ......

Plus perhaps an extended Carpenters Forever Special release with more rare live and early Solo / Trio/ Spectrum tracks included to tie with the revised Box Set release :)

Peter....looking forward to more Film footage.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom