Carpenters Go For Gold!

Which version of GOLD do you prefer?

• Gold (2000 European)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tomswift2002

Okay, so there have been 3 Gold albums released (and a 4th retitled later on), so out of the 4, which one do you prefer?

Also 3 of these discs are single-disc compilations, while the US version was a double-disc.
Also, Gold: Love Songs, according to Wikipedia, reached #106 on Billboard, and #47 on the UK music charts in 1997 (and was certified Gold in both the US and UK), and the 2000 UK version reached #4 (and was certified 4x Platinum), the 2001 Japanese Edition reached #79, and the 2004 US edition reached #101 on Billboard (and was certified Gold).

Personally, I've heard 3 of the 4 discs. I've heard Love Songs in its original packaging, the 2000 Gold and the 35th Gold. I prefer the 35 anniversary edition, as I like that it has tracks from the 1983-2001 time period on it, and doesn't just limit itself to the 1969-1981 period. It's nice hearing Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore, Leave Yesterday Behind, The Rainbow Connection & California Dreaming with the other tracks. With that being said, I'm still not a fan of Make Believe It's Your First Time and I would've replaced it with If I Had You, and Karen's Theme, I would've replaced with Time, Who Do You Love? or Calling Your Name Again. Also, it would've been nice to have had Santa Claus Is Coming To Town and The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire) on the album, as those were the other Carpenters Christmas singles, and especially over the years I've heard the Carpenters version of TCS played on TV and the Radio numerous times and highlighted as probably the STANDARD that all other versions are compared to, even Mel Torme's versions. On its own, Merry Christmas Darling is an oddity on the collection, as its the only Christmas song.

Only four? You're just not trying...

GoldVersions.jpg
That three pack, is that the one that contains the European Gold disc, the Christmas Portrait Christmas Collection Disc and the Gold DVD? Or is that the one that was issued in the US with both US Gold Discs and the Gold DVD all in a DVD packaging?
The problem with most of your CD's is that they are just repackagings of previous Gold issues. Like with the US version, you have the 2003 black cover and then the 2004 cover that used the photo from As Time Goes By. Or the European Gold disc has the black cover that was then reissued with the negative image cover that reversed the gold and black colors.
Really the only disc I might've missed was the 20th Century Masters version that was repackaged with the GOLD DVD.

I don't think you really missed any Tom, I was just having a bit of fun with my many purchases of the same title.

If you did miss one, it would be the NL version, which is understandable because it wasn't called GOLD, but was another YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. But its timing and track list sort of put it in the GOLD family.

Oh, and the three-pack is the US-issued 2-CD set plus the GOLD DVD.

I'm confused. Love Songs (1997) isn't anything to do with Gold and was never considered as a Gold release - was it?

Some territory somewhere released it with a "GOLD" slipcover.

CarpGoldLoveSongs.jpg

I don't think you really missed any Tom, I was just having a bit of fun with my many purchases of the same title.

If you did miss one, it would be the NL version, which is understandable because it wasn't called GOLD, but was another YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. But its timing and track list sort of put it in the GOLD family.

Oh, and the three-pack is the US-issued 2-CD set plus the GOLD DVD.
If you look on the poll for the YOM albums you'll see the NL YOM over there. It's funny, but the US version of Gold and the NL YOM seem to have been switched in terms of number of discs.

But I mentioned that the purple version COULD be considered in the GOLD family, since the track listing and timing of its release fall in line with the other actual GOLD releases around the world.

Back
Top Bottom