Carpenters honored at Hollywood Bowl on June 18th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

While I was just surfing the concerts this summer at the Hollywood Bowl, I was amazed to see they are inducting the Carpenters into the Hollywood Bowl hall of fame with a concert on June 18th. Each year, they honor past performers at the venue. Herb Alpert will also appear along with Richard. Here is the information from the Hollywood Bowl web site.

Friday, June 18, 2010, 8:30 PM
Hollywood Bowl (Map/Directions)
2301 North Highland Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90068

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featured Artists:
Hollywood Bowl Orchestra
Thomas Wilkins, conductor
Carpenters, inductee; accepted by Richard Carpenter
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, inductee
Herb Alpert, presenter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Info:
The 2010 Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame inductees include the Carpenters, accepted by Richard Carpenter, and classical pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet. Multiple Grammy-winning musician, composer and producer Herb Alpert will induct the Carpenters and the new Hall of Famers will perform with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, led by Thomas Wilkins, in a celebration that kicks off the 2010 Opening Night at the Hollywood Bowl. Additional presenters and performers will be announced.

The Carpenters’ relationship with the Hollywood Bowl dates back to 1966, when 16-year-old Karen and 19-year-old Richard won three awards at the venue’s “Battle of the Bands” contest, an event that launched the duo’s legendary performing and recording career.

World-renowned pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet first appeared on the Hollywood Bowl stage in 1989 and has performed at the venue on a regular basis since.

Proceeds from the evening benefit Music Matters, supporting the Los Angeles Philharmonic’s education programs. The Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame is created and produced by Wayne Baruch and Charles F. Gayton. For information on patron, Pool Circle or Garden packages including reception, dinner, and prime concert seating, call 213.972.3051.

www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/program-detail.cfm?id=2101

Jeff, thank you very much for the info!!

I'm looking forward to the review!!

By the way, has anyone been to Carpenters Live at the Hollywood Bowl in 1974?

Sakura

Sakura:
Yes, I was there in 1974. This is one of the reasons I am looking forward to the concert.

In 1974, the Carpenters played the bowl with Gilbert O'sullivan as their opening act. Since I live in Southern California, I was able to see them many times. This was their standard show, with the exception of the Hollywood Bowl orchestra. It was nice to have a full orchestra with K&R.

Thank you, Jeff!!
Do you remember what Karen wore? Pink outfits? Or was Karen in pink outfits at Hollywood Bowl in 1971?

A few weeks ago I visited old auction photo page again. They still have this.
carp74hollywood.jpg

Someone was talking about Carpenters at Hollywood Bowl full page AD at Los Angels Times. Was it in 1975 and canceled?

Sakura

Tickets for the general public should go on sale around May 1. Just read today that Donna Summer has been added to the line-up and will be honored that evening. It's going to be a great night!

Tickets for the Hollywood Bowl concert go on sale this Sunday, May 2nd at 10:am

However, there is an advance presale going on now. Go to www.hollywoodbowl.com and purchase tickets for the opening night concert honoring the Carpenters.

Use pre sale password "bowl10". This will allow you to get tickets before the general public.

Hi All,

Will be joining Carpenters fans plus fans for other inductees next week at Hollywood Bowl opening night concert ....really delighted to be attending concert at this great venue at long last ....:cool:

Previously only visited Hollywood Bowl which is fascinating concert & cultural venue with fellow UK & US Carpenters fans.

Who else is definitely attending 18/6 HB concert ?

Peter UK

I would not miss this for anything.

My guess is Richard will perform the "Carpenters piano fantasy". It's a 22 minute medley of all their hits for piano & orchestra. If we're lucky, he might bring back the "from this moment on" film clip he used for the opening of the Carpenters center at CSULB. It was an isolated camera just on Karen's face from the "music music music" special. For the CSULB concert, Richard played his piano live to Karen's track. It was breathtaking. However, I've never seen him do this number since.

At any rate, it will be fun.

This is an album of the selection with the Garden Grove Symphony. it was made in the mid 80's and only sold at Symphony concerts.

I meant the MMM clip on video you mentioned, that would have been awesome to witness. It's things like this that we will probably never see or hear of again.

I have my tickets and am counting the days. I read something somewhere - or maybe it was the commercial on NPR - that mentioned there would be videos that night - perhaps of a previous Carpenters performance at the Bowl? I also thought of the "From This Moment On" video Jeff mentioned - I was at the dedication of the Carpenter Performing Arts Center when the video was presented and it was very well done - and received.

Ideally Carpenters Forum attendees can meet up before Hollywood Bowl Opening Concert or during interval ......I am seated in section J1 which looks good from the seating plan :)

Aside from possible Carpenters Video / TV or Lve performances that ideally will be screened with Richard on piano / keyboards ? I do hope Richard will perform a few lead vocals from his Carpenters tracks :tongue:ossibly I Kept On Loving You, Piano Player or early Offering lead vocal plus full medley of Carpenters classics & favourites with HB orchestra .....another night to remember for both the music & the occcasion :cool:

Wonder how Richard feels 44 years after initial Hollywood Bowl Contest triumph .....after all Carpenters achievements & musical legacy ...it has been remarkable timeline & story ....& more to come :wink:

Only 48 hours & counting .....

Peter A

I came across this last week and thought you'd find it interesting:

Opening night at the Hollywood Bowl
By Rob Loman - Long Beach Press Telegram

When Donna Summer was raising her children and took them on driving trips, they would listen and sing along to Carpenters songs.

"I'm a huge Carpenters fan," says the Queen of Disco. "They'd do the harmonies and we'd sing, and the trip would go by so quickly."

So in some ways it's fitting that Summer will be inducted into the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame on Friday along with the Carpenters and classical pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet.

The event kicks off the summer Bowl season, which - as usual - includes a diverse collection of performers. Los Angeles Philharmonic conductor Gustavo Dudamel will also be on hand for three events - most notably conducting his first opera in the U.S., Bizet's "Carmen," with mezzo-soprano Natascha Petrinsky in the title role.

"It makes me nervous - a little bit," says the Phil's music director, shuddering slightly to show he means it as he stands on the Hollywood Bowl stage with 18,000 empty seats behind him.

For Dudamel the Bowl is special. Last October, in a gala celebration, he began his tenure as conductor of the Phil, and it's where he made his American debut on Sept. 13, 2005, in a program consisting of "La Noche de Los Mayas" by Silvestre Revueltas and the Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5.

"O-o-y, I remember my first time here," says the 29-year-old, "and I thought `It's OK; it's just a concert.' And then when I came out and saw the 18,000 people, I thought, `Oh my God, what am I doing here?"'

He laughs about how after the concert they were having dinner, but what he really wanted was a hot dog. Now he has one named after him at a local eatery.

Things have obviously worked out for Dudamel, and the other two concerts he will conduct at the Bowl this summer feature the music of Gershwin, Bernstein, Enescu, Piazzolla and Ravel.

Summer is no stranger at the Bowl, having made numerous appearances there, including filming one of her first TV specials in the venue.

"The way the Bowl is designed - it's intimate as well as huge and it's just a fun place," says Summer, who was calling from home in Nashville, where she was arranging a baby shower for her fourth grandchild.

She says a lot of time when people want to honor her, her inclination is to say no.

"I feel like it makes me feel old. Like OK, I'm not that far. I obviously got some miles left in me," says Summer, who just returned from Paris, where she did a private performance for a Louis Vuitton gala.

But she felt that the Bowl honor was the "right thing to do" and that "it was a good cause." Proceeds from the evening will benefit Music Matters, supporting the Los Angeles Philharmonic's education programs.

With numerous Grammys and hits - among them "Love to Love You, Baby," "I Feel Love," "Bad Girls," Hot Stuff" - Summer has a resume any entertainer would envy. Twenty of her singles reached Billboard's Top 40, 14 in the Top 10 and four were No. 1.

Still, at 61 Summer doesn't spend much time looking back. She's still in the studio, writing and recording and speaks proudly of her musical family, especially her 12-year-old granddaughter, whom she calls a super songwriter. "Honestly I don't know where she gets it from. I don't take credit for it. It comes from God; it's a gift."

As for her own career, Summer evaluates her life every year.

"I think everyone does that to some degree to try to balance yourself so you're not spinning your wheels but are in some way going forward," she says. "But I don't look at (the Bowl) event in that way. I'm honored to be honored."

The singer-songwriter calls her own style "styleless."

"I go where I want to go. When I made music, people could dance to what they called disco, but I believe I'm the first woman to receive the coveted rock 'n' roll Grammy. All my Grammys are in different categories, and if I have a goal in life in terms of awards, it is to consolidate the concept of music where you categorize the song but not the artist."

And while she may forever be tied to disco, the diva's own catalog includes all types of music. She will perform six songs Friday including a standard, but she wasn't sure which one it would be.

She also hopes to perform - time permitting - with Richard Carpenter, the remaining member of the Carpenters, the hit duo of the 1970s whose songs included "For All We Know," "We've Only Just Begun," "Rainy Days and Mondays" and "Superstar." Karen Carpenter, his sister and voice of the group, died in 1983 from cardiac arrest due to complications of anorexia nervosa.

Arvind Manocha, chief operating officer of the L.A. Philharmonic, thinks it was the right time to honor the Carpenters. This year is the 40th anniversary of their first No. 1 hit, the Burt Bacharach/

Hal David song "(They Long to Be) Close to You."

"I think great songs endure," says Manocha. "They have a collection of great pop songs. Styles may change decade to decade, but a really perfectly crafted song will last forever."

Although the Carpenters performed at the Bowl in the 1970s, the group's relationship with the famed venue goes back to 1966 at the annual Hollywood Bowl Battle of the Bands, where they performed as the Richard Carpenter Trio. At the time Karen was playing drums, but it was only after she started singing later on that the eventual duo found success. They were signed by A&M Records in 1969, and Herb Alpert, one of the founders of the record company, will be a presenter on Friday.

Part of the genius of the group was its ability to take songs which had little or moderate success and turn them into hits. "We've Only Just Begun" was originally in a bank commercial, and "For All We Know" was on a soundtrack.

"Richard Carpenter was one of the more gifted arrangers and orchestrators we've seen in pop music," says Manocha, "and his sister's voice was so timeless and classic ... . There are very few voices like Karen Carpenter's. It's very hard to imitate and you know it instantly when you hear it."

On Friday, Richard Carpenter will be conducting the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra for the Carpenters part of the evening. One of the songs they'll play will be one he wrote for the Battle of the Bands competition. He and the orchestra will also perform alongside a synched video of his sister singing.

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_15284085?IADID=Search-www.presstelegram.com-www.presstelegram.com

According to the Hollywood Bowl, Richard will be performing on the piano, conducting the orchestra AND singing live !

"Richard Carpenter performing on the piano and conducting the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra in a medley of Carpenters’ hits, as well as singing live with classic videos of the Carpenters on the Bowl’s video screens."

Can't wait to read your reviews folks - enjoy the evening

We had a wonderful time at the Hollywood Bowl tonight. Herb Alpert shared his memories of the Carpenters to the audience, and a short film of their career preceded Richard's introduction. Richard conducted the orchestra with a medley of C's hits, and performed Iced Tea with a quartet. He (and the orchestra) performed two #'s with Karen - For All We Know and We've Only Just Begun. The audience was very warm and receptive to Richard, and whistles and shouts followed Karen's appearances on video.

When it was Donna's turn (who was FANTASTIC) she shared how she and her family were big fans of the duo and would sing along with them when in the car, and how excited she was to be able to peform one of their songs with Richard - Superstar. It was the original arrangement (he conducted while playing the piano), and Donna was incredible. Walking out to the car park, it was exciting to hear people talk about the C's and how they loved their music.

Great review. It was an amazing evening. A few thoughts:

1/ Richard opened the Hollywood concert with the Carpenters overture, which was written for their Boston Pop's appearance in 1973. The cool part was this was the same number they used to open their Hollywood Bowl concert in 1974.

2/ The videos worked so well. In previous appearances with Richard, he would just play and sing along to a concert video. At the Bowl, the technology has made it much easier for Richard to perform with Karen. On the big video screens on each side of the stage, they would cut back & forth between Karen on video and Richard live. It was very emotional when Karen's beautiful voice came out of the speakers the first time.

3/ Richard seemed very touched by the evening. You could tell that this night was special, and he was tongue tied a few times with memories.

4/ The audience response was amazing. The reaction from the audience was similar to the couple in our box. They said "Their music brings back so many memories." People were talking about them all night.

I hope Richard understands how much his music means to an audience. He could perform this type of concert with symphonies across the country.
It was a glorious night and a very special tribute to Karen & Richard.

Bravo the the Hollywood Bowl for an amazing and very emotional evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom