carpenters in movies

I remember in the trailer for the 2002 movie “Anger Management”, they got a mention by the one character saying “The Carpenters are anger music?” while holding a copy of the 69-73 album. I’ve got the DVD, but I still haven’t watched it (and I’ve had the DVD for like 15 years!).

On the other hand the “Superstar” track from the 1994 tribute album “If I Were A Carpenter” was in the movie ‘Juno’.

In Anger Management Jack Nicholson pulls out Adam Sandler's Carpenters "Singles" CD and says "I don't want you listening to any angry music. Adam then says, the Carpenters are angry? I mean.... Then Jack says, don't be naive Dave. Close to You, We've Only Just Begun, songs of madness and obsession!

In Anger Management Jack Nicholson pulls out Adam Sandler's Carpenters "Singles" CD and says "I don't want you listening to any angry music. Adam then says, the Carpenters are angry? I mean.... Then Jack says, don't be naive Dave. Close to You, We've Only Just Begun, songs of madness and obsession!

Does anyone have the clip i want to see it.

I remember that scene and wondering why they didn't say "Hurting Each Other" was "angry music."

I thought that The Glass Bottle "I Ain't Got Time Anymore" (September 1971 & # 36 on Billboard Top 40 & one hit wonder) was an angry song in my opinion!!! "Hurting Each Other" is not an angry song.

Carpenters' 'We've Only Just Begun' was in the hit Australian movie, 'Muriel's Wedding', in 1994. The song sounded incredible coming out of the cinema speakers and Karen's voice sounded spectacular.

I just bought the version of the soundtrack that has Carpenters on it. I've also seen a version that doesn't have them on it. The one that does include them is on Polydor - 525 128-2, marketed in Australasia by PolyGram under exclusive licence.

At the 1994 Australian Film Institute Awards, 'Muriel's Wedding' won four categories, which were Best Film, Best Actress, (Toni Collette), Best Supporting Actress, (Rachel Griffiths, who played Hilary du Pre in 'Hilary and Jackie', was in the ABC drama series, 'Brothers & Sisters', and also was in 'My Best Friend's Wedding), and Best Sound.

'Muriel's Wedding' also won the Australian Performing Rights' Association award for Best Film Score, (Peter Best).

It won two Film Critics Circle of Australia awards - Best Actor, Female, (Toni Collette) and Best Supporting Actor, Female, (Rachel Griffiths).

It won the Mercedes Benz Audience Award at the Chicago International Film Festival.

The movie was the eighth-biggest-grossing movie in Australia in 1994 and netted about 16 million dollars in Australian cinemas, which, apparently, is equivalent to about $27 million in today's money.

In the United States, the movie grossed about $15 million.

I couldn't believe it when Carpenters' 'We've Only Just Begun' blasted around the cinema when I saw the movie shortly after it was released. In the past, Richard called Karen's voice 'phonogenic' and said that it sounded great over radios and transistors. It is also very cinemagenic, as you who have attended various Carpenters conventions, or who saw 'Calling Occupants' in theatres back in the '70s, would know.

I think I once watched a DVD version of 'Muriel's Wedding' and 'We've Only Just Begun' wasn't on it. I also suspect it wasn't on overseas cinema releases of the movie, but I'm not sure.

I found this, under a post about 'Muriel's Wedding' music credits from Oz Movies:-

"We've Only Just Begun"
(Williams/Nichols), Published by Irving Music Inc./Woolnough Music. Used with permission of Rondor Music Australia Pty Ltd.

Perhaps that holds the answer. The producers may have been allowed to use Carpenters' recording in Australia-only showings of the movie through getting permission from the Australian publishers of the song. Maybe they didn't have permission outside Australia - but it seems that it would have been a hassle to have to re-edit the movie for the overseas market, just for one song. It does seem that's what happened, though.

I guess they would have had to get permission from Richard, as well - but perhaps he didn't allow them to use the song outside Australia, for some reason.

Apparently, they only got permission from Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson to use the ABBA songs the week before shooting began.

I was introduced to the Carpenters by a movie, which featured a cover version of "Close to you" by Corrinne May. The song played a special role in that movie. Here is one of the scenes where the song is played: P/S: Its a Hong Kong action movie, so... :)

I found this, under a post about 'Muriel's Wedding' music credits from Oz Movies:-

"We've Only Just Begun"
(Williams/Nichols), Published by Irving Music Inc./Woolnough Music. Used with permission of Rondor Music Australia Pty Ltd.

Perhaps that holds the answer. The producers may have been allowed to use Carpenters' recording in Australia-only showings of the movie through getting permission from the Australian publishers of the song. Maybe they didn't have permission outside Australia - but it seems that it would have been a hassle to have to re-edit the movie for the overseas market, just for one song. It does seem that's what happened, though.

I guess they would have had to get permission from Richard, as well - but perhaps he didn't allow them to use the song outside Australia, for some reason.

Apparently, they only got permission from Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson to use the ABBA songs the week before shooting began.

Thanks for the info. I wondered why 'Begun' was on the CD soundtrack for Muriel's Wedding, but wasn't included in the film's theatrical release here in the U.S., or on the DVD release. I wasn't even aware it was actually in the film originally. I had assumed it was included on the soundtrack CD as a themed extra of some sort. I'm interested to know where in the film the song appeared. Do you happen to remember the particular scene where it was? Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I wondered why 'Begun' was on the CD soundtrack for Muriel's Wedding, but wasn't included in the film's theatrical release here in the U.S., or on the DVD release. I wasn't even aware it was actually in the film originally. I had assumed it was included on the soundtrack CD as a themed extra of some sort. I'm interested to know where in the film the song appeared. Do you happen to remember the particular scene where it was? Thanks.
Hi, Chris. I can't remember now where in the movie the song appeared. I don't think I've seen the film since it was in theatres in 1994. By the way, I think "We've Only Just Begun" played from the very beginning of the keyboard intro - I remember the anticipation of waiting for Karen's voice to come in, through the cinema speakers. I think it might have played up until the first "Sharing horizons that are new to us. Watching the signs along the way" section, but my memory of it really is getting hazy now.

Not the Carpenters themselves in this movie, but actor Andrew McCarthy mentioning Karen in this scene from St. Elmo's Fire always reminded me of their performance of that song on Bob Hope's TV special from 1973 :)

Back
Top Bottom