1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

Carpenters In The UK

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Simon KC1950, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Simon KC1950 likes this.
  2. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a thread that suited this but this one is as good as any, given the title :)

Here's a rare archive interview with Richard from UK breakfast TV Show "Good Morning Britain", recorded for the 10th anniversary of Karen's passing.

Carpe diem and Simon KC1950 like this.
  3. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Never seen that interview before. There seem to be some telling subtexts in both the interview and the discussion afterwards.

4. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this one, thanks for posting. Wow, does Richard have a persecution complex or what (judging from his reaction at 1:18)? Can't believe that Rainy Days & Mondays was not an instant hit in the UK considering the reaction it got from the TV audience (hoops & hollers) during the 1971 BBC special.

5. Sue

Sue Active Member

uk
    Just seen Saturday 30th June channel 5 in U.K. are showing @ 7pm the documentary Karen Carpenter Goodbye to Love followed by Carpenters their greatest hits.

6. newvillefan

A review from this week’s Radio Times in the UK:

Will the Carpenters ever be afforded the same respect as, say, ABBA? Once deemed deeply uncool, the Super Troupers have justly been reappraised in recent years. But the toothy American siblings always had an image problem that detracted from the quality of their work, Richard’s prodigious music brain blending sublimely with Karen’s divine voice.

The terrible secret that jeopardised the group for years - anorexia nervosa, which killed Karen in 1983, when she was just 32 - is examined in this dramatised documentary, first shown in 2016”.

Chris Mills likes this.
  7. Rumbahbah

Rumbahbah Well-Known Member

Actually, in the UK I think they are now given the same level of respect as ABBA (albeit that ABBA were much bigger on the singles chart here - although ABBA were never 'cool' in their heyday either!). It's in the US really where their image problem has never really been successfully resolved.

newvillefan likes this.
  8. newvillefan

Most people I talk to here who know about my love for them have nothing but praise and admiration for them. They are still really popular here in the UK.