Carpenters JukeBox 45's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I just picked these up today. I really don't know how rare it is. Does anyone have one of these?

There the size of a 45 single but played at 33 1/2. The numbering starts back to 1 again for each side.

Now I'm wondering when these were pressed? Before or after the Singles Lp & Now & Then LP were released?

On the Singles one, Rainy Days sounds different to me and doing a side by side comparo, Rainy Days on this 45 is definately slower and of course Superstar does not seque into this song. And there is no echoey feel like some of the remixes Richard has done in the past. At first I thought Rainy couldn't be slower but I compared it alot of times to the original Lp & it's definately slower also on Rainy Days there is something I just can't put my finger on but something else is different.

On the Now & Then one, I noticed that Fun Fun Fun starts without the ending of Yesterday Once More. The Now & Then came with the jukebox labels, a whole sheet of them. I must have lucked out cause the sound is mint on both. What does LLP mean at the top?

Here are some pics. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Carpenters%20Jukebox%20Little%20Lp's%20002ab.JPG
Carpenters%20Jukebox%20Little%20Lp's%20003a.jpg
Carpenters%20Jukebox%20Little%20Lp's%20005ab.JPG
Carpenters%20Jukebox%20NowandT%20hen%20008ab.JPG
Carpenters%20Jukebox%20NowandThen%20%20011ab.JPG

I don't own any Carpenters jukebox 45s, but do have a couple of others on the A&M label, one Herb Alpert and one Tamba 4.

LLP stands for "Little LP", the name of the manufacturer of these. This company was licensed by A&M to put these out for jukebox purposes. Usually six tracks, three to a side are the most common. Obviously with the shortness of the songs on the oldies medley, they decided on four to a side. Interesting that none of the "non-oldies" made that disc.

The mixes used on these should be the same as the mixes on the original LPs. They were made long before Richard started his reverbed '80s remixes.

Harry
...whose little LPs are rather noisy, online...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your posting rear records. They are also in Richard's Wurlitzer jukebox
which I saw there was in his house in a picture and we saw in Beechwood 4-5789 video, I think.

Sakura

So the medley is split into two sides.
How does side A end and side B begin?
You know, Deadman's curve and Johnny Angel were originally sequed.
Does Deadman fade out and Johnny fade in?

Mitch,

On this LLP, Deadman's Curve ends on the one side to just the ending sound of the crash & fades out, interesting to hear it like that. Then on the other side it just starts out with Johnny Angel Karen sings right off the bat.

Interesting other point is that on the LLP Singles, you can see from the picture above that the songs are broken up so there is 2/3 seconds before the next song starts, a definate start/stop, However on the Now & Then LLP, it is all together with No Breaks from start to stop on each side. Tony is also there playing the DJ.

It makes me wonder too whether there is another Jukebox LLP 45 of Now & Then with the Non-Medleys on it???

I found LLP list. There are "Close To You" and "Carpenters".

1970: Close To You (A&M LLP 125)

Side 1: Help; Baby It's You; I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Side 2: Love Is Surrender; Maybe It's You; (They Long To Be) Close To You

1971: Carpenters (A&M LLP 151)

Side 1: Bacharach/David Medley
A. Knowing When To Leave
From the Broadway musical "Promises, Promises"
B. Make It Easy On Yourself
C. (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me
D. I'll Never Fall In Love Again
E. Walk On By
F. Do You Know The Way To San Jose
Side 2: Superstar; Let Me Be The One; For All We Know

http://www.vex.net/~paulmac/carpenter/disc.html

(Top
http://www.vex.net/~paulmac/carpenter/index2.html )

Sakura

Thank you for your input, Chris. You've got something really rare and I'm glad that you put them up to share with us.

Richard tried a little experiment by producing a different version of Now & Then medley for 1997: Carpenters: Their Greatest Hits And Finest Performances (3 CD set) Reader's Digest / Polygram 3331.
If it had came out in '70s, there would have been a similar Jukebox EP for this set. And it would have been easier to break them down and put them on either side of an EP as that version has no DJ's voice nor segues.

Now Sakura has found a little more of Jukebox EPs.
Thanks for your efforts.
And I guess the same treatment as Now & Then was done to
Side 2: Love Is Surrender; Maybe It's You
and
So this disk can also feature the non-stop version for each.

I'll have to add these to the Goldmine database! The only one I had a record of previously was LLP-3502.

A few more notes about these: They were made for special jukeboxes that could play 33 1/3 singles. In my very young days, I remember seeing one of these jukeboxes. It has such things as Elvis Presley's "Aloha from Hawaii" and Chicago's "Chicago VI" on it, so it was from around 1973. These jukebox EPs came out right around the same time as the LPs from which they were taken, in most though not all cases. For example, I know of a Sammy Davis Jr. "The Sounds of '66" jukebox EP that came from a 1966 album but wasn't pressed for jukebox use until 1972 or '73 (it's LLP #211), after "The Candy Man" renewed interest in him. But that was a definite exception.

Little LP stopped making these around 1974.

Thanks Sakura for that link, that helped me so much, now I know how many were really made. Your a great fan for finding that link for us, way to go :)

Mitch, thanks for the nice words, I'm not sure how rare they really are but they are really cool to look at & they play actually better than I thought they would, the dealer told me that sometimes Jukebox LLP's took alot of abuse by poor needles but these are like new, just a little distoration on one song, Rainy Days (I guess this was the one song the public played the most HA Ha)

A special thanks to Tim for the info, your info makes me think when were these really made? I knew that there was something different about Rainy Days and Harry confirmed it for me that the song on this LLP is actually from the Tan Album which came out originally in 1971. I was comapring Rainy Days to the Singles Album that came out in 1973. So I think it's Odd that they used the Tan Albums version of Rainy Days on the Jukebox & the label on the Jukebox is for the Singles. LOL But I guess it's like you said it had to be before 1973 cause the LLP Co. stopped making these then, Interesting to read your post.

I hear that Richard is a collector of Carpenters stuff.
When they have a new release out, he asks them to get him one score copies of it, which makes him feel secure for some reason.
I've been to the old Carpenters House and they had lots of copies of each single and album stored in a big pigeonhole.

But I don't remember seeing Jukebox EPs there.
There might have been.
I think I've seen a copy of RCA release by the Carpenter Trio, which didn't see the light after all.

Anyways, if Chris has a chance to show Richard these EPs, he may be interested.

I was asked by a friend of mine who is also interested in LLP, why A Song For You EP is not available. :?:
It should have been manufactured considering Now & Then version was pressed then.

If any of you happen to find the A Song For You EP, please share it here with us and convince me that it really is out there. :o

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing myself, considering that both LPs before it (Carpenters and Close to You) and the two after it (Now and Then and The Singles) have corresponding jukebox EPs.

Another thing about those "Little LP's" shown: They were pressed by Columbia Records in Terre Haute, Indiana, with label copy typesetting from said plant. Given the trajectory of the "Little LP's" history and when they stopped making them, it sort of makes sense that such records would still be coming out at the point when A&M changed to its "silver" label (as is the case with such issue of The Singles 1969-1973).

According to the link that Sakura provided there were only 4 LLP's made (if this info is correct)

Now I only need to find these other 2 listed below to complete my collection. (But I think I may never find them, It kills me to think they might be sitting in someone's record store collecting dust) Argh!!! :)

1970: Close To You (A&M LLP 125)

Side 1: Help; Baby It's You; I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Side 2: Love Is Surrender; Maybe It's You; (They Long To Be) Close To You

1971: Carpenters (A&M LLP 151)

A. Knowing When To Leave
B. Make It Easy On Yourself
C. (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me
D. I'll Never Fall In Love Again
E. Walk On By
F. Do You Know The Way To San Jose
Side 2: Superstar; Let Me Be The One; For All We Know

There is the link to LLP covers of "Close To You" and "Carpenters".

http://www.amcorner.com/gallery/view/Jukebox Albums?adodb_next_page=1

Please click on covers or Carpenters. You will go to another window. They say:

Made by A&M Records for Little L.P.'s Unlimited, Northfield, IL.

There is a jukebox singeles page on another website. But they say:

Don't Be Agraid/For All We Know
Only Yesterday/Happy
Heather/Top Of The World
Druscilla Penny

I think the display of the titles of songs is immobility in order or insufficient.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom