Carpenters Legacy 1976

Sally and Ned need to get music - and lives - of their own - there is something essentially unreal and very unappealing about Tribute Bands...once one has heard the original artists any and all imitators seem so incredibly pathetic...

Just heard little bits of the record. This was clearly done on the cheap. There's autotune on Sally's voice and even at that, she's still off by miles. Not a great singer by any means. There are weird timing issues with the Sally and the instruments too - indicating that this was likely done in a home studio by people without too much expertise. She also seems to have little regard for the actual lyrics as she modifies them at whim. I don't have a beef with tribute acts or anything but this just isn't done well. It's pretty grizzly, really.

Ed

I actually like thier show quite a bit! I now live in Nevada and can't wait to go see them again in Vegas. No one is going to have a passable singing voice that matches Karen (unlike Elvis where everyone and their sister can do a passing impression). It's the totality of the show that makes it so great. Also, they are good musicians even if Sally doesn't sound exactly like Karen. Because of the showmanship, one can imagine what it must have been like to be at the "real" concert. Well worth the attendance at thier show.

I actually like thier show quite a bit! I now live in Nevada and can't wait to go see them again in Vegas. No one is going to have a passable singing voice that matches Karen (unlike Elvis where everyone and their sister can do a passing impression). It's the totality of the show that makes it so great. Also, they are good musicians even if Sally doesn't sound exactly like Karen. Because of the showmanship, one can imagine what it must have been like to be at the "real" concert. Well worth the attendance at thier show.

Gotcha. Better as a live thing than recorded. That makes sense. Thanks for the added info.

Ed

Just heard little bits of the record. This was clearly done on the cheap. There's autotune on Sally's voice and even at that, she's still off by miles. Not a great singer by any means. There are weird timing issues with the Sally and the instruments too - indicating that this was likely done in a home studio by people without too much expertise. She also seems to have little regard for the actual lyrics as she modifies them at whim. I don't have a beef with tribute acts or anything but this just isn't done well. It's pretty grizzly, really.

Ed

I listened to more than a little bit! They are not the best and they are not the worst.

Anytime I sample a professional Carpenters tribute act (good or bad), I have to watch this short clip @41:29 onwards to clear my ears/eyes...... (in a way, Karen and Richard made their own poignant tribute to themselves and late band members)

Back
Top Bottom