Carpenters Legacy interview on "Text, Prose & RocknRoll"

^^Want You Back In My Life Again....48 tracks....wow....
That was an interesting interview, Thanks.

^^Want You Back In My Life Again....48 tracks....wow....
That was an interesting interview, Thanks.
They had to sync two 24-track machines together. The technology was in its infancy at the time, and boy did it cause a lot of problems... expensive problems, to boot. :)

Nice interview, Chris.

I had trouble accessing the link above when using Chrome. I got this:

Unconfigured Simplecast Domain​

You are seeing this page because your website is not configured properly. Learn more

So I tried it on Microsoft Edge and all went smoothly.

Excellent interview as usual Chris! You nailed it with your comment "they didn't have time to really grow up" when assessing the level of maturity and personal growth they had reached by 1974.

Thank you Chris for sharing this. It truly was an excellent interview!!

Just a side note to add: I can only imagine what an album like Linda Rondstadt's "What's New" as stated in the Interview with classic's like "Someone To Watch Over Me" or "I've Got A Crush On You" etc. would have sounded with Karen and Richard I guess summarized in one word ..... Heaven!

Thanks again Chris!!

Terrific interview, Chris! I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone with the hope that there will be one more "anthology" release that incorporates that unreleased track you reference, the early version of "Close to You" and (perhaps) some other items to be determined. It also might be revealing to have such a release include a selection of Richard's favorite backing tracks, which would remind folks that there are two sides to the Carpenters' greatness...

I got really excited at the fact that there is an unreleased track. Hopefully it can be released one day along with the original version of close to you.

Unreleased track, aye? That's all I got to say except this was a good interview with great questions!

Terrific interview, Chris! I'm sure I'm speaking for everyone with the hope that there will be one more "anthology" release that incorporates that unreleased track you reference, the early version of "Close to You" and (perhaps) some other items to be determined.

I got really excited at the fact that there is an unreleased track. Hopefully it can be released one day along with the original version of close to you.
1639685128156.png1639685163329.png 1639685207707.png

Well if it's any consolation in getting Chris off the hook...lol..This track has already been mentioned in the Mook Book by Yuko Ogura (her name may have changed since then) Part of the so called Buried Treasure of tracks Richard talked about in 1996. However in the Mook, it's mentioned that What Are You Doin' for Love has the date 1979 so maybe the date was typed incorrectly.

There was a transcript of this list that Jeff from the board who reached out to Yuko by email and she translated the interview. It also says that there is a full Karen lead completed on a track called Why Don't They Understand originally produced and arranged by Don Costa sung by George Hamilton IV, Richard said Karen sings it better than George but they never finished the song.

The bass, drums, piano, guitars and Karen's work lead for "What Are You Doing for Love" were recorded on October 11, 1971. The listing in the Mook was either a typo, or perhaps the cataloging at A&M contained the typo, which was copied over.

Incidentally, another outtake, "Sebastian" was recorded the same day.

The bass, drums, piano, guitars and Karen's work lead for "What Are You Doing for Love" were recorded on October 11, 1971. The listing in the Mook was either a typo, or perhaps the cataloging at A&M contained the typo, which was copied over.

Incidentally, another outtake, "Sebastian" was recorded the same day.
Man you got my fingers tingling. I hope these are finished one day so i can get my hands on these tracks. My ears need their fix of carpenters music.

The unreleased track I'd really like to hear most of all is "One of the Nicer Things." The Jimmy Webb version is heartbreaking with the harpsichord, a sound I've always loved. I can just imagine the Carpenters' take on it. I really do not care about the one wrong bass note that's apparently preventing its release.

There's too many to count that I'd love to hear- but "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is high on my list.

The unreleased track I'd really like to hear most of all is "One of the Nicer Things." The Jimmy Webb version is heartbreaking with the harpsichord, a sound I've always loved. I can just imagine the Carpenters' take on it. I really do not care about the one wrong bass note that's apparently preventing its release.
What songs are unreleased. Where do i find them. I mean like a list of tracks

There’s a whole page of recordings they are rumored to have done, but never released It’s on another Carpenters site. I don’t recall the name. It’s quite extensive. I haven’t looked at it in years, as this one is fine for me.

Back
Top Bottom