CARPENTERS-Live Christmas Concert CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Someone on ebay is selling this CD.

Here is the link but it will expire in 3 hrs so I hope someone can go there & see it before it is gone so someone can explain to me what the heck this is.

First I'd never in my life ever pay that kind of price but is this a bootleg or a copy from their Christmas TV Specials? That's what I can't figure out.

Did the Carpenters ever do a live Christmas show? Like on tour or something?

It also says it was Karen's last live performance in 1978? Is that right? I thought Karen performed live after 1978?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561349565&category=43632

I sure would like to hear Karen singing a Live performance of "It’s Christmas time / Sleep well little children"

Is this really true do you think?

I have no information about this cd but I sure would love to have it. I can't believe the current bid is $255. If I had the extra money I sure would buy it. This would be great for die hard fan collectors.

Obviously it's a bootleg, since it's never been commercially released. I'd be afraid of spending that kind of money on a home-made recording, especially when you don't know what kind of quality it might be.

Harry
...caveat emptor, online...

K&R's last live concert was in November,1978.That's probably what their selling on ebay.I think most of that concert featured selections from the (then)new CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT album.As far as I know,K&R never did a live performance after that.(Although I heard they did a live show in Rio De Janiero in 1981-after the release of MADE IN AMERICA.I can't confirm this,though.)

I swear it is hard for my to believe that they never did another live performance after 1978. I mean even if they did one in 1981, think about it, Richard & Karen did soooo much live concerts from early 70's that it is crazy the schedules they kept.

How could they just quit cold turkey? That kind of stuff was in there blood, they loved performing live I thought.

How could they go from 1978 to 1981 & not do another live show? Just seems crazy to me. Didn't Richard vow to never do another live show? Somewhere I remember hearing that from Richard.

Also didn't they attempt to do a live show (2 songs) from some telethon on the A & M studio lot? But that went array right?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
How could they just quit cold turkey? That kind of stuff was in there blood, they loved performing live I thought.

How could they go from 1978 to 1981 & not do another live show? Just seems crazy to me.

It really isn't so crazy if you think about it. They initially quit performing live because of Richard's drug addiction. By late 1978, his hands were shaking so badly that he could barely play the piano. Then Richard went into the rehab center, and afterwards took time off to concentrate on getting healthy again. Meanwhile, Karen went to New York in '79-'80 to record her solo album. After that was shelved, there was Karen's whirlwind courtship and wedding. Then she and RC focused on recording the MIA album. When the album was released in 1981, they couldn't tour because of Karen's health - she was dangerously underweight, and then she spent most of 1982 in NY in therapy and then in hospital. She was only home about 2 1/2 months before she died. When you consider all of this, it's easy to see why they didn't do live concerts after 1978.

Murray

Hi All,
I believe that they did some Christmas songs...Ave Maria, Merry Christmas Darling, and other songs, and they received an award in recognition for their contribution to music at UCLA, I believe. Richard also performed Star Wars/Space Encounters medley...I even think they did Sleep Well Little Children. Yes it is a bootleg but it is amazing to hear Karen singing. She sang as beautifully as ever, and it was a "Live" performance.
By the way, I believe that "live" performance done in 1981 at the A&M lot was lipsynched. If you notice Karen's mike wasn't even on...nor Richard's for the "performance" although Karen does an impromptu performance of Touch Me When We're Dancing...

Cameron
[email protected]
www.carponline.bravepages.com

I was at the Long Beach concert in '78. It was short but wonderful.
Karen was amazing- Richard changed the program midstream, changing what piano solo he did. His voice was slightly shaky, as I remember.

I was also at their 78 concert in Vegas. I already posted about that somewhere long ago...

Mark

Carpenters Christmas CSULB Benefit Concert was Around December 10th 1978 Period as Richard Just About Managed to Perform Live Before Being Forced to Take 1979 off to Fight Prescription Drugs Problem.

A Week Later Karen Flew with Band Members ( & WITHOUT Richard...) To UK For TV / Media Promotion Behind Singles 1974-1978 Album and Unsurprisingly Not For Fab Christmas Portrait Album :sad:

Carpenters Performed A Short Set , Richard Threw Out Many Songs Due to Health Reasons , All Who Attended Report Great Karen Performance and Wonderful Atmosphere :)

Murray Sums up 1979>1982 Period and Lack of Concerts Very Well -I am Surprised Carpenters Did Not Perform LIVE TV CONCERT OR HOLLYWOOD BOWL / GREEK THEATRE CONCERTS -Clearly Karen's Health was Poor in 1980/1981 and 1982 was Spent in New York :o

Sad End To Major Live/ Touring Act :sad:

Peter

Several Rumours have Suggested Richard is Planning to Include One Carpenters Christmas Track as a Bonus ...Similar to As Time Goes By & Carpenters Perform Carpenter Album Releases :o

A Live Recording is One Possibility or Richard May Issue Christmas Portrait TV Special Outtake -Play A Simple Melody With All Carpenter Family and Gene Kelly on Vocals or Adeste Fideles from Same Source :)

Interesting For Any of These Tracks to Be Released :shock:

Peter

PJ said:
Several Rumours have Suggested Richard is Planning to Include One Carpenters Christmas Track as a Bonus ...Similar to As Time Goes By & Carpenters Perform Carpenter Album Releases :o

A Live Recording is One Possibility or Richard May Issue Christmas Portrait TV Special Outtake -Play A Simple Melody With All Carpenter Family and Gene Kelly on Vocals or Adeste Fideles from Same Source :)

Interesting For Any of These Tracks to Be Released :shock:

Peter

I wish that he would include the original single version of "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town". I've always prefered the sax solo in that recording to the later one on the Old Fashioned Christmas album.

Murray

I think it would be best if A&M(Universal) reissued both Christmas albums individually,in their original packaging,and possibly tack on a few bonus tracks to each album.Most record labels today are doing album reissues with bonus tracks.

About Time Both Christmas Albums Were Issued Worldwide (Not Just in Japan) at Mid Price and Fully Marketed By Universal :)

Unlikely Now Since 2001 Japanese Reissues -Yes, Ideally Richard Will Issue at Later Date With Bonus Demos / Outtakes and Rarities to Complete Definitive Christmas Sets :)

Perhaps Budget Collection Will be Issued in 2004 -Companion to 2002 20th Century Set -Certainly in UK & Europe Would be Consistent Seller and Widen Audience to Carpenters Seasonal Classics :D

Peter

Hey There,

Just reading through the posts about the Christmas concert from 1978. I can't believe how much some people are willing to pay for this cd on ebay!!!! I have this concert on cd, the quality is fairly good. Karen sounds great. If anyone is interested in a copy, feel free to email me. Perhaps we could do a trade or something.

Cheers
Laura

[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom